I'm thinking of sticking with the scooter

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

I'm thinking of sticking with the scooter

Post by Maxsymuppet »

For the last few months I have intended to give up riding and get a car instead. Now I'm having second thoughts. The reasons are purely financial. I found a suitable car on monday. A Skoda Citigo. Tiny but it would suit me and more importantly it's group 1 insurance, because as I haven't had a car for 23 years I get no NCD. It is a 17 reg with only 3500 miles on the clock (the dealer can guarantee this) for £6000. More than I intended to pay but it's a good one. Then I phoned the insurance brokers I have been with for the scoot for a couple of years, thinking as I am an existing customer they would give me a good deal. £1100! The reason being I work nights, so the car would be parked on a work car park some nights. Which probably understandably is high risk. I tried one of the comparison sites and got it down to £408, but there is no way of stating that I work nights. It's just 'at work during the day and at home at night.' I tried Age UK, as I saw in the Yellow Pages that they do over 50s car insurance, and I am well over that age. Their quote was even higher.

So, okay I don't enjoy riding as much as I used to and I am concerned about breaking another bone, but shelling out this sort of money? Even if I aim lower, say £4000 for the car, with the insurance not likely to be much less I am thinking is it all worth it? I could go for a really cheap car, say £1000 or less, but I need something reliable. Which means spending more money.

I really don't know what to do at the moment.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: I'm thinking of sticking with the scooter

Post by Data »

I'm sure if you contact any prospective insurers by phone or email you will find most of them can facilitate your work shift pattern (night working). Yes, it may cost slightly more but not £1100! I found Quote Me Happy to be very good. But you'd have to email them to get an answer to your question concerning night work risk as they are online only. Which leads me to say that if you are in a job that involves shift work, the insurers will have often factored that in. Although they do usually ask you where the car is parked at night it won't normally affect the cost unduly unless the car is parked in a very high risk postcode area.

The Skoda Citigo is an excellent car by the way and a bit like the 'Tardis' inside. My niece bought a new one and has had it for 5+ yrs and 80,000 miles. No problems and it's still going strong! 55mpg all the time and more on longer runs. She intends to drive it into the ground. Good luck!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

I’ve just scoured autotrader and six grand seems a reasonable price for a 17 reg citygo with nominal milage - and £408 squid isn’t over the odds for insurance - my partner does alternating shifts and has never had to declare or go into specifics about this - yes you declare your nature of employment and proceed with your application as normal - can’t you just have both scooter and a car

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Try comparison web site like go compare or compare market .

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well, as you say, the car is group 1 so its not the car that's inflating the cost, so buying an even cheaper car won't improve matters. Its just that you have no NCD. Probably best to try and tell them about the shifts. I guess it depends on where your workplace is and if there is any car park security. In some circumstances it seems possible that the car will be safer at work than at home!

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Is there a question where is car parked overnight ? That may be what's pushing it up.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

To pack up riding a scooter is not solely about costs, you ride a scooter at night and don't want to do it, find an insurance company that will give you some NCB because of your bike insurance history and buy a good condition cheaper older car. Cars don't rust or wear out as quickly these days.
Don't ride a scooter if you want to really give up. you will never forgive yourself should you have an injury related slip.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

Carole Nash have a six-wheel policy, I've had a car and 3/4 bikes all insured on the single policy.

The critical thing is I left work a few years ago having had company cars for 20 years, so all I had was a letter saying no car incidents in past five years.

Well that turned out to be worthless as just about every company wouldn't recognise company policies.

BUT as I had 12 years NCB for my bikes they "mirrored" that for the car, huge result saved loads. It was a tad tricky at each renewal as this mirroring was not a default position, so I had to ring to get them to modify accordingly.

They have become a lot pricier in the last two years, bit if you decide to keep and insure your scooter it may be beneficial, give them a call.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

rjc1944
Current Ride: 2009 Burgman 400

Post by rjc1944 »

Have you got a local insurance agent you can go to see and talk over your requirements? I've found that to be far better than the comparison sites.
2009 Burgman 400 in sunny Perranporth :D
Always seek the happy medium - she's out there, riding her scooter.

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Has been maxi tours wrote: Thu Dec 05, 2019 5:18 am Try comparison web site like go compare or compare market .
That's where the £408 came from. The problem is there is no way of stating I work nights, and I don't want to have a problem where my car is stolen ot broken into on the work car park (where I work this is unfortunately quite likely) and the insurance saying 'you told us you keep your car at home at night. We're not paying.' You know what insurance companies are like and using any excuse to get out of paying a claim.