Is petrol dead now?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Re: Is petrol dead now?

Post by StephenC »

Stibbs wrote: Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:11 am I’d love to “buy into” E cars but find the initial cost way above my pay grade.
How many of us can afford £30k + for a car?
I’ve always been a £6-£8 k man. They're going to have to come down a lot, lot further for me.
Autotrader currently lists 76 electric only and 848 petrol hybrids for under £8k.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Dogsbody
Current Ride: Burgman 400 Honda C125 400-4

Post by Dogsbody »

It's the middle of the day 5% 0f the UK power is being produced by Solar, 13% by wind. come 4pm solar will be zero. Gas and Nuclear are at 60% so it has along way to go before we are renewable solely.
https://gridwatch.co.uk/
Dogsbody

bikerdezzie
Current Ride: skyteam dax

Post by bikerdezzie »

There is such a thing as battery storage, when batterys are losing a percentage of power and get replaced in cars, the used removed ones can be used for off grid storage, so when excess power is made it can be used solely or combined with the grid, this excess can bevsold back to the grid on good days and assist the grid at night or poor weather the energy it has stored, its a win win, they dont dispose the batterys they reuse them, some of the big charging stations that also have solar etc usually have a building nearby housing these batterys.

P.s the companyn I.B.M have just mentioned they have made a battery free of cobalt etc and using elements from seawater that stop the dangerous dendrites that can cause batterys to explode hence the use of cobalt etc to lower the risk, cobalt is used far more in refining petrol making than batterys which the electricity haters fail to mention, anyhoo this new formula allows batterys to be charged upto 80% in under 10 minutes, 5 in some cases without the risk of explosion and also makes the battery lighter in comparison so hopefully this tech is another boost in the right direction and doing so makes electric bikes a better proposition.
Dezzie