Honda ADV slides down the road

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Honda ADV slides down the road

Post by Stephen »

Had a couple of minor accidents in my biking time,dropped the bike at a stand still,stupid things like that,hit someone up the arse,as i had seen their gap to go,moved forward and they hadn’t seen their gap :-o :-o

Anyway last Saturday,took the ADV out to meet the crew for breakfast,it was a bit frosty,but I didn’t think it was unduly cold,quiet a big “B”road from Northampton to Newport Pagnell,just before the Salcey Forest i hit a patch of ice,felt the rear wheel go,wobbled a bit,then i see the ADV going down the road on it’s righthand side,followed by me on my arse,the road bends round to the left,once round the bend the speed drops from national speed limit to 40mph,then shortly after that down to 30 mph through Stoke Goldington,i guess i may of been doing 35/40mph as i had seen a car waiting to pull out from a side road on the right,anyway once the bike and myself had stopped sliding he pulled behind me to give me and the Honda some protection,asked if i was ok,which i was,had proper gear on,bruised arm and bum,otherwise ok apart from my pride,he turned out to be a biker himself and said he see my back wheel go,he see me fight with it and thought i had got it back under control,but alas no :|

The crash bars were worth every penny,saved all the panels on the righthand side,it has destroyed the crash bars a new set is on order,the bike would of been written off as the slide would of disintergrated the panels,handguard,brake lever,bar end wieght and indicator need replacing,exhaust cover and topbox scratched,which i can live with at the moment,parts ordered and collected from Grafton Honda Milton Keynes,Dave & Martyn fellow muppets and Saturday breakfast crew members came round yesterday(Saturday)we had a nieghbours Kawasaki to fix,which was already pre planned,that was a reasonably easy job,the nieghbours wife supplied bacon sarnies and tea.Martyn and myself set to work on my Honda,while Dave got the Kawasaki done,we tackled the brake lever,handguard,fixed the mirror back in place,but the impact had shagged one of the 4 bolts that secure the crash bars,we couldn’t get the allen key in,so we waited for Dave to finish his job,he is a proper engineer,has patience and know how,where i dont,and tend to reach for the club hammer :D Dave sorted the bolt out within 5 mins,then to change the indicator most of the righthand side panels need to come off,centre tunnel,panels around the ignition,had the ipad outside watching youtube videos on “how to”what a nightmare job,cant thank Dave & Martyn enough,job done,usual leftover parts upon reassemble so traced our steps back and found where the missing bolts or popper rivits went,crash bars on the way from Fehlings in Germany,they are easy to fit,as i did the original ones myself....still got my Tmax to use,which would of certainly been destroyed.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Honda ADV slides down the road

Post by MrGrumpy »

Phew! Lucky! Sounds very nasty and a fast one as well. Thankfully you seem mostly uninjured which is the most important thing - although it was fast, I presume that you slid and came to a halt relatively smoothly which must have helped. In my accidents, coming to an almost immediate halt causes pain, even if you don't suffer injuries!

That's amazing the crash bars worked so well!!!! When i was reading the story, I remember reading somewhere about the X-ADV's origami-like panels, and I thought that will be expensive! But they seriously did their job.

Interesting point about the Tmax....don't think anyone does crash bars for that! I've seen things that go along the foot pads, but I'm not sure they'll do any good. When the mk6 Tmax toppled over last summer (when parked on soft ground), the bit that got damaged was the fairing around the handlebar. Nothing too major but a couple of internal lugs snapped, and the mirror was toast.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

glad your ok, black ice cant be seen or avoided,it really can be the end for a scoot going down the road with the price of replacement panels.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Thats it decided for me, I am getting crash bars for my Nc750x for when I can ride it again. Glad you are ok!
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

I am unsure what would of happened if the front wheel had slid first,it seemed to take ages from the initial rear wheel twitch to me stopping,i was surprised i stood up immediately,i’m no light wieght so i guess that helped with the impact,i bounce well :D rode the bike home with care as the front brake lever was bent towards the handlebars,i did think about jumping on the Tmax,so as not to miss breakfast,the nieghbours brought me a cup of tea out and common sense took over.

I know someone who had the Fehlings crash bars on his 650 Burgman,they saved his panels when he laid it down on a country road,good thing is the spot lights still work and did’nt get damaged,

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Glad you're all OK Steve.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

That's probably happened to a good deal of us on our bikes at one time in our biking days.....watching our beloved steed sail away from us, on its side, on the dirt, as we ourselves glide or scrape along on another vector yet on the same dirt. :| :D

Hopefully we get away with a few bumps and bruises.

riders in the storm
Benefactor
Current Ride: HondaNC750X+HondaCRF300Rally

Post by riders in the storm »

Yes, I keep thinking of going to work on mine, but it's still dark at 7am and if it is at all cold there is a point on the moors I have to cross where there is always ice, so still going every day in the car......

I can't wait for it to lighten up and warm up a bit in the mornings......
HondaCRF300Rally, Honda NC750X

Stibbs
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2022 NSSForza350

Post by Stibbs »

Had a couple of spills in past. One on my VStrom 650 some years ago, entering A1 off Newark slip road and diesel on road made bike slide right out onto carriageway. I ended up in lane 1, bike hit central reservation and came to rest in lane 2. So lucky as at the time there was only car approaching with a good driver who slowed to protect me.
The other was on this burger, sand on a country lane bend, slid and straight onto my side with burger in field.
Both times bruised ribs and pride.
I think most of us have lucky escapes?

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

New crash bars fitted on Wednesday Short test ride afterwards to check all was well,today i left home about 8am to meet the breakfast crew at a cafe in Chinnor,about 60 miles for me,sat nav took me a nice route,but i kinda thought my confidence had gone,some of the roads were damp,i was going round corners much slower,i guess it was a bit of a lack of confidence and common sense,but once breakfast was done we had a bimble to On Yer Bike Aylesbury,roads had dried up a bit by then,i could feel the confidence coming back,the rest of the day i felt much better at ease......as i said in the original posting,my first biggish spill,so cautiousness was probably being used.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright