Malossi drive belts?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Malossi drive belts?

Post by Taipan »

Hi All,
I picked up a Sh300 at the weekend and the guy recently serviced the transmission and fitted a Malossi belt. Having had some disastrous results with Athena belts and one other make of aftermarket belt, I was thinking of putting a Honda one on instead but thought I'd search to see what Malossi belts were actually like first, thinking, they make performance kit so their belts must be half decent? Searching on here I only found one incident of a Malossi belt snapping and google doesn't seem as keen as me to say they are no good. Anyone have any experience of Malossi belts? Is my paranoia misplaced?
TIA

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Re: Malossi drive belts?

Post by SH125Paul »

What happened to the 4 Max?
I would go OE...
Mitsuboshi - Yamaha... Bando - Honda....

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

SH125Paul wrote: Mon Feb 24, 2020 8:41 am What happened to the 4 Max?
I would go OE...
Mitsuboshi - Yamaha... Bando - Honda....
Never really gelled with it. Don't think it was the best example tbh, but it was very vibey until you got over c50mph. Always seemed too heavy for what it was? Anyway, its gone now and I'm happily back with the mighty SH300! :D

I've always gone for OEM since trying an athena whilst waiting for my OEM belt for my Nexus to be delivered. The athena literally lasted about 300 miles? Just keep thinking if Malossi make performance variators etc then if their belts were no good, the internet should be full of tales of woe about them, but I couldn't find any?

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

A quick, and by no means exhaustive Facebook trawl brings up Malossi belts being fitted on Piaggios, Yamahas (including UK T Maxs) and assorted other CVT scooters, seemingly without issue.

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

If its newish I'd leave it just keep eye on it .

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Once you have doubt it’s hard to shrug off - get yer hand in your pocket laddie and stop being stingy - you know it makes sense 😉

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I've heard not great things about Malossi belts, but don't ask me for specifics! They claim to contain Kevlar bands, but the bands are longitudinal, but the belt wears transversely. Or so I'm told!
I understand most OE Japanese belts are made by Mitsuboshi, though I'm not aware of a good source

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

Thanks for all the replies. Think i'll run with it until spring is well and truly here and working on the bike is (almost) enjoyable again and then I'll stick my hand in my pocket and put a Honda one on there and keep the Malossi as a spare. :)

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

If search belts for your scooter on Italian ebay usually find Mitsuboshi branded ones without honda, yamaha,suzuki piaggio branding on them. Postage a bit more but usually works out cheaper overall .

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

Has been maxi tours wrote: Tue Feb 25, 2020 6:22 am If search belts for your scooter on Italian ebay usually find Mitsuboshi branded ones without honda, yamaha,suzuki piaggio branding on them. Postage a bit more but usually works out cheaper overall .
Thats interesting, thanks. I never knew who actually mad Hondas belts!