T Max Another recall......,,

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: T Max Another recall......,,

Post by MrGrumpy »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 2:17 pm Interesting...maybe we should keep a record of manufacture dates or something so we can try to figure out what range this affects. I stripped, cleaned, un-seized and greased the suspension linkages on my May 2017 model this weekend, and the centrestand is very rusty indeed. Wouldn't mind having a new one!
It seems to be pretty much all of them! I don't know what the f*** Yamaha make centrestands out of - it feels like mild steel with a thin coating of emulsion paint! On my mk4 I even got a new centrestand out of Yamaha cos the original went rusty inside the warranty period, though the replacement itself was looking crap in a couple of years, and on the mk6 I dosed it in ACF50 on several occasions, and its still rusty! It doesn't help that whatever paint or treatment you put on gets sand blasted off by wind/rain/road crap. I even tried some chassis paint which claims to be the ideal stuff to resist being blasted off, but that doesn't seem to work, so I've no idea what to try next, except maybe weekly ACF50 coatings!

Still no word from my dealer about the arrival of my replacement stand....

EvilRacer329
Current Ride: Yamaha T-Max DX

Post by EvilRacer329 »

Interesting; I'd call my dealer, but have no confidence that there'd be anyone there to answer the phones in the midst of this zombie apocalypse. The centrestand on my V-Strom was looking a little tired after 60,000 miles despite ACF50 and loads of TLC, which I chalked up to Suzuki's famously basic finish. But my T-Max has gone way worse after just one winter...and you should see the rear pulley! It's oxidised to hell!

My plan was to shrug irritably, then pay my local expert to powder-coat the offending bits. Much tougher than paint, and not too expensive...

Nick

tmaxrobbo
Benefactor
Current Ride: BMW C Evo Yamaha T Max 560

Post by tmaxrobbo »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:05 am Interesting; I'd call my dealer, but have no confidence that there'd be anyone there to answer the phones in the midst of this zombie apocalypse. The centrestand on my V-Strom was looking a little tired after 60,000 miles despite ACF50 and loads of TLC, which I chalked up to Suzuki's famously basic finish. But my T-Max has gone way worse after just one winter...and you should see the rear pulley! It's oxidised to hell!

My plan was to shrug irritably, then pay my local expert to powder-coat the offending bits. Much tougher than paint, and not too expensive...

Nick
The 560 I took out last week with 90 miles had an oxidised rear pulley and rusty stand . Mu mk 3 with 15000 miles on it has none and has been used all winter albeit with acf 50

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

My mk3 stand was quite rusty, though fairly superficial. I treated it with rust remover last summer and it looked great....for a while.

Stephen
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Stephen »

Currently in Motorcycle World Northampton,it was booked in for service the Wednesday after lockdown,shop was closed for a couple of weeks then opened service department for essential workers ect,i just happened to ride past and noticed shop was open,so phoned up and got Max rebooked,also they had the new stand as per recall,obviously all the local cafes nearby are closed,made sure i had breakfast at home,clearly restrictions in the shop,we all like to browse the showroom while waiting for repairs/services to be done sitting on the different bikes,that isn’t permitted at the moment,got a nice Niken here and a very nice looking Triumph Trophy,you get issued gloves and mask upon entry and asked to remain on the sofas in customer waiting area,I wasn’t sure the drinks machine would be working because of contamination issues so brought my small flask with me,cant remember what the issue was for the stand recall,was it prone to cracking and possibly snapping completely,but recently it has been difficult to get it off the stand(as if it was still locked)hopefully the replacement will sort it....

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright
"Better to be late in this world,rather than early in the next world"

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yeah....have to ring up the people in York again, as the previous attempt was cancelled. I think I'll wait a bit to see if cafes & shops reopen to make the visit more productive.
Yeah...my stand got a bit hard to operate as well. I thought it was the locking mechanism sticking, so I got my mechanics to give it a once over, but turns out it wasn't that. I think a bit of lubrication cured the issue. THEN Yamaha said I needed a new one, so that was all a waste of time & money! Doh!

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

MrGrumpy wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 5:56 am Yeah...my stand got a bit hard to operate as well. I thought it was the locking mechanism sticking, so I got my mechanics to give it a once over
Yep same symptoms as i got......especially after it had been standing a while.....service and stand done,although it does need pads and he wants to clean the callipers as well,behind on their schedule today so needs to be booked in again.

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Now the next question is how to keep the new stand rust free!! I did use ACF50 on the last one, but clearly it needs to be applied regularly, but is that Monthly, weekly....daily????

Stephen
Benefactor

Post by Stephen »

MrGrumpy wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:43 am Now the next question is how to keep the new stand rust free!! I did use ACF50 on the last one, but clearly it needs to be applied regularly, but is that Monthly, weekly....daily????
Good point MrGrumpy.....now even a numpty like me could do that and as you say at what intervals and also its remembering to do said ACF50 spraying.....i suppose if one had thought ahead i could of collected the new stand last week and got it powdercoated,might give it a bit more life :D Yamaha must just show the stand the paint pot as it goes through the manufacturing process :?

Steve
Honda Forza 350

Ride Safe Ride Upright

Filonian
Current Ride: Honda Integra 750

Post by Filonian »

MrGrumpy wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 7:43 am Now the next question is how to keep the new stand rust free!! I did use ACF50 on the last one, but clearly it needs to be applied regularly, but is that Monthly, weekly....daily????
I use a slip on central heating pipe cover (a chrome effect one) on the central cross piece, only costs a couple of quid for two from Wilkos. This prevents the stone chippings thrown up from the front wheel chipping the paint. The rest of the stand I WIPE on ACF. Works fine for me and the stand is almost as good as new four years on.