Interesting

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Re: Interesting

Post by capitano »

EvilRacer329 wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 9:01 am o the sorts of people who buy Chinese bikes in the first place. If someone who looked after their bikes meticulously bought one, would it be as reliable as a Japanese equivalent at half the price? If a clueless 16-year-old bought a high-quality japanese scooter and abused it out of ignorance, would it shrug it off?

Nick
This is party borne out by both our experience with the Jinlun, and several folk on the C90club forum with the Riders/Zeths/Kayak Chinese Cub clones that are steadily clocking up the miles.

Owned and maintained by someone with some mechanical sympathy, and the experience/intellect to know that they aren't anywhere near Jap quality, the experience has been generally good. Sold to a a mechanically ignorant 16/17 year old, with no support network and they'll be a boat anchor in less than 12 months, certainly before M.O.T time.

It's a bit like the argument about whether a 28mph restricted moped is safe to ride on the road. The answer being, that they are perfectly safe for an experienced, qualified rider. For a raw learner with just a CBT? Significantly less so. 8-)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

capitano wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 1:24 pm

It's a bit like the argument about whether a 28mph restricted moped is safe to ride on the road. The answer being, that they are perfectly safe for an experienced, qualified rider.
I think that's a bit arguable! I certainly would NOT want to ride a restricted moped anywhere where the traffic is flowing at anything like a decent speed. Of course, they may be ideal in central London (pre virus anyway!).

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Never owned a Lexmoto but I know a couple of people that do own them. Both bikes are 125's (both MC's not scooters) and neither owner has had any problems of any kind. Neither bike has any rust. Fit and finish is good. Engines are good. Spares are good. Not quite Japanese quality but it's very good and well beyond the quality of British bikes from a good few years ago (now they were a bit flaky, I speak from experience). Both bikes are in daily use and both are over two years old. My nephew also has a Sinnis Terrain 125. I've ridden it and it's beyond brilliant. It has 15,000 miles on the clock without any issues and that too is just over 2 years old and used daily. Take a look at the TheMissendenflyer review of the Sinnis.

Without question the Chinese bikes have come along in leaps and bounds regarding quality, materials used, design etc etc especially in the last 8-10 years. Like the Japanese the Chinese learn very quickly and you mustn't forget that many Chinese bikes are British designed and specced now and are often just built in China. This is all very different from some of (not all) the early Chinese bikes which could be a little flaky to say the least. It does however take a little time to shake off a poor reputation, but they are! Anyone who doubts this should go and take a look as some in the showroom and speak to some modern day owners of Lexmoto, Sinnis, etc. It'll be an eye opener for some! ;)
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

marval
Current Ride: Aprilia sr gt

Post by marval »

I'd have to say I've had a few Chinese bikes/scooters over the years but probably because they have been more for leisure rather than commuting or learning on, they have been more than okay. A couple from Speedway motorcycles who have always provided me with a very good service and have a very attractive and full showroom. I think the dealers have to have a fairly thick skin to deal with the stupidity of some of the young kids who just rag them to death and the moan and groan.
I spotted one bad dealer review, when the rider had crashed the bike and was furious that the repairs weren't covered under warranty!!

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yes, there are some dick heads out there. Some of those types give bad reviews because they are just plain stupid and their crap gets reported over and over by other dick heads. :o

smeghead
Benefactor
Current Ride: GTS 300 Touring

Post by smeghead »

I reckon Sinnis are OK. They have made engines for Suzuki I think. I bet they are soundly built and engineered.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yes, in fact the Sinnis uses Suzuki motors in many of their bikes and one or two Yamaha engines too. The Sinnis Terrain is built in the same Chinese factory that assembles Yamaha and BMW bikes which explains why they are so good.

Here's a 6 month long term review of the Sinnis Scrambler.

It was used in the snow and ice, thrashed around and it's just fine. No rust, no problems! Cheap as chips.

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

I'd rather see a 6 year review I'm currently looking at honda s wing 125 one 7 year old one 9 year old .
Also looking at 13 year old burger 400 .

Deleted User 7077

Another thing is they dont put these suzuki clone air cooled engines in scooters .

Deleted User 7077

I'm sure my Jailing helix copy was great at 6 months old at 5 years old it was scrap.