Interesting

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: Interesting

Post by Data »

Has been maxi tours wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:53 am The Jailing had a CF moto helix clone engine well mine did anyway .

Crap plastics as well not a patch on Honda helix .

Cf moto 250 clone was in lot of chinese quad bikes at the time.
The one I worked on had a genuine Jailing/Honda engine in it, with the Honda insignia's showing in a couple of places indicating Jailing was still using the genuine Honda tooling and casting equipment. They later changed the insignia but still carried on using the same engine tooling. Surprised the plastic was different and not so good because it was still made just the same as when they made the bikes for Honda, and they still used the same tooling moulds to make it. Again the one I worked on was no different to the original Helix regarding that. I suppose it may differ depending on year, and Jailing did expand their operation so maybe it was made on some new extra tooling that wasn't quite the same. Interesting.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

CF Moto went on to produce their own complete helix clone The CF Moto Fashion 250 .

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

marval wrote: Sun Mar 22, 2020 7:52 am OK different spelling but Jailing is what is needed for Stuart Garner!!
Actually, I've been spelling it wrong. It's 'JIALING' so he needs Jianling... :lol:

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

capitano wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 2:22 am
Jaz wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:17 pm
You do know that a positive rating on Trustpilot is almost as worthless as a three year old Baotian 50, don't you?
What? You'll be telling us that Chechatrade is a similar con next, Jaz! :lol:

;)
Come on now Ged - if you know Trustpilot is as bent as a three pound note, why cite their "evidence"? :lol:

Data wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:24 am Many of the genuine Honda parts you have were probably made by Jailing.
You say 'probably', so I'm guessing you don't really know either way? My experience doesn't bear out any of what you suggest - I have seen plenty of Jialing and Honda Helix parts and examples of the same part - stators and bystarters are two that come to mind - are clearly different. Also, Jialing were exporting the JL-250 from about 2005 (2006 to the UK, albeit never officially), so I don't see how they can have bought all the tooling when Honda re-introduced it to their range for a final run in the 2006 and 2007 model years. The frame numbers of those last-run bikes show that they were - like all the others - built in Japan.

I've had two of those bikes, only bought for stuff with no moving parts, e.g. panels. These are totally inferior to the Japanese ones, but OK as long as you don't knock them about too much and you don't fancy paying out for Honda ones. One had a CFMoto engine, the other a Jialing. The Jialing one was a non-runner because the rear clutch pulley had totally collapsed at 5000km IIRC. When I pulled it apart there were clear differences between the parts and a genuine Honda clutch.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Jaz wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:54 pm
You do know that a positive rating on Trustpilot is almost as worthless as a three year old Baotian 50, don't you?

;)
Come on now Ged - if you know Trustpilot is as bent as a three pound note, why cite their "evidence"? :lol:
Like Checkatrade, not everything about Trustpilot is crap.

My own experience of CMPO has been good, too.

My neighbour bought a Sym Allo in 2011. Great little scooter and she buzzed around on it happily until some idiot rode into the back of her.

That's when she discovered the non-availability of Sym spares, which meant that I did too, as I was roped into helping her get it roadworthy and running again.

8-)

Knowing that the Sym Allo was , cosmetically at least, very similar to the Lexmoto Tommy and Valencia scooters, I managed to get her all the parts she needed from CMPO, and at extremely reasonable prices. They all fitted (I think one body panel required some minor modification,) and the outcome was a happy one.

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Data wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:24 am Hi Jimo,

Many of the genuine Honda parts you have were probably made by Jailing. Jailing used to make all the brand new Honda Helix bikes and others for Honda in the Asian market place. After Jailing decided to go 'private' they even bought all the Honda tooling equipment from Honda and the licence to carry on building the Helix and it's engines. You could and probably still can buy a completely new Honda Helix engine for about £1900 from Jailing. But if you went to Honda the engine would cost 2 times that amount...yet it was likely still just the same engine made by Jailing. I haven't verified that but it's often what happens. Love the Helix.

Hope you are well Jimo.

Ian
Hi Ian and thanks for your good wishes although times are getting harder, I’m now prohibited from shopping and HAVE TO STAY HOME due to my age and medical condition, great difficulty is caused because my dear wife who has just turned 86 has fallen several times while out, most recently two days ago when standing by our car (parked on driveway of sharp stones) she tripped backwards - taking me with her and we both ended painfully on the ground where neither of us was able to get up for about 30 Minutes.

Interesting what you say about Jailing, I didn’t know that but whenever I buy parts I always try to be sure they are in Honda packaging - my ‘guarantee’, I’ve not yet got back into the garage due to the low temperatures here and have to say I’m spending more time ‘resting’ in bed although did attack the forest of grass in the garden turning it back into a ‘lawn’ the other day.

Another of my interests is Live Steam..., I have three ‘0’ gauge engines a Mamod, an Accucraft ’Edrig’ and a Roundhouse ‘LADY ANNE’, all 32mm track gauge, as well as six homebuilt items of rolling stock.
Most recently I’ve added to my collection a 3/4” scale Allchin live steam Showman’s Traction Engine (for use at home), this unit although just over 12” long is able to pull a 12 stone person on level ground (on a trolley of course). But I really can’t wait for better, warmer weather so that I can get back into the garage to finnish off replacing the engine hangar on my Helix.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Jaz wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 3:54 pm

;)

Data wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:24 am Many of the genuine Honda parts you have were probably made by Jailing.
You say 'probably', so I'm guessing you don't really know either way? My experience doesn't bear out any of what you suggest - I have seen plenty of Jialing and Honda Helix parts and examples of the same part - stators and bystarters are two that come to mind - are clearly different. Also, Jialing were exporting the JL-250 from about 2005 (2006 to the UK, albeit never officially), so I don't see how they can have bought all the tooling when Honda re-introduced it to their range for a final run in the 2006 and 2007 model years. The frame numbers of those last-run bikes show that they were - like all the others - built in Japan.

I've had two of those bikes, only bought for stuff with no moving parts, e.g. panels. These are totally inferior to the Japanese ones, but OK as long as you don't knock them about too much and you don't fancy paying out for Honda ones. One had a CFMoto engine, the other a Jialing. The Jialing one was a non-runner because the rear clutch pulley had totally collapsed at 5000km IIRC. When I pulled it apart there were clear differences between the parts and a genuine Honda clutch.
The history of Jialing is online including videos of the factory as it was a few years back. I did some work in Ipswich for the Jialing main importer in the early 2000's. He was just down the road from me. The Jl-250's came into the country in about 2004. Being the official Honda Helix manufacturer in China, and having bought all the original Honda tooling to continue to make the Helix (JL-250) under licence, Jialing supplied a lot of Helix parts to folks around the world. Jialing scooters and bikes are generally regarded as good quality throughout the world and here in the Uk.The problem is that many other manufacturers of Helix (or JL-250) parts came into being. Some were not quite so good I suspect. This may be what you are referring to. I worked as a tech for Honda many years ago in both the bike and car world so came across this situation. I've had the original Jialing JL-250 stripped completely for rebuild and most of the engine components were compatible with Honda parts with some exceptions. These were mostly the top end emission control components and carbs/fuel management. The clutch on the machine that I stripped was identical to the original Honda unit. Don't know if it changed later. The engines in the Jialings were slightly less powerful than the original Helix as I recall due to emission controls that had come in since the last of the Helix bikes were imported and some other minor tuning required for the Asian market ref their petrol quality. Think they were 18hp instead of 20 or 21hp? You may know more about that than me. Overall, if I had the choice of buying a Helix or JL-250, I'd go for the Honda as the finish was definitely just that little bit better, but in all honesty, there wasn't much in it. There are still perfectly good Jialings going around with large mileages on them. But not many as they did not sell en mass as the bike was terribly out of date, as was the Helix.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Jimo wrote: Tue Mar 31, 2020 10:38 am
Data wrote: Sat Mar 21, 2020 6:24 am Hi Jimo,

Many of the genuine Honda parts you have were probably made by Jailing. Jailing used to make all the brand new Honda Helix bikes and others for Honda in the Asian market place. After Jailing decided to go 'private' they even bought all the Honda tooling equipment from Honda and the licence to carry on building the Helix and it's engines. You could and probably still can buy a completely new Honda Helix engine for about £1900 from Jailing. But if you went to Honda the engine would cost 2 times that amount...yet it was likely still just the same engine made by Jailing. I haven't verified that but it's often what happens. Love the Helix.

Hope you are well Jimo.

Ian
Hi Ian and thanks for your good wishes although times are getting harder, I’m now prohibited from shopping and HAVE TO STAY HOME due to my age and medical condition, great difficulty is caused because my dear wife who has just turned 86 has fallen several times while out, most recently two days ago when standing by our car (parked on driveway of sharp stones) she tripped backwards - taking me with her and we both ended painfully on the ground where neither of us was able to get up for about 30 Minutes.

Interesting what you say about Jailing, I didn’t know that but whenever I buy parts I always try to be sure they are in Honda packaging - my ‘guarantee’, I’ve not yet got back into the garage due to the low temperatures here and have to say I’m spending more time ‘resting’ in bed although did attack the forest of grass in the garden turning it back into a ‘lawn’ the other day.

Another of my interests is Live Steam..., I have three ‘0’ gauge engines a Mamod, an Accucraft ’Edrig’ and a Roundhouse ‘LADY ANNE’, all 32mm track gauge, as well as six homebuilt items of rolling stock.
Most recently I’ve added to my collection a 3/4” scale Allchin live steam Showman’s Traction Engine (for use at home), this unit although just over 12” long is able to pull a 12 stone person on level ground (on a trolley of course). But I really can’t wait for better, warmer weather so that I can get back into the garage to finnish off replacing the engine hangar on my Helix.

Jim
So sorry to hear of you both being a bit poorly due to a fall. Hopefully you can rest up and be in top form soon. I'm sure we all on the board wish you both lots of love and a speedy recovery.

Loving that you tinker with trains. Really good hobby.

The world of motorcycles and indeed car manufacturing is very incestuous. Many motorcycle parts are made by Chinese firms for the big manufacturers of bikes and cars. Korean Hyundai make parts for almost every european car manufacturer for both OEM and spare parts, as does Kymco. Renault supplies engines and parts for Mercedes, and many other manufacturers. Citroen supply whole cars and vans plus spare parts to Toyota. To name just a few! Folks say they'd never buy a Skoda, they only drive Audi (my brother in law!) yet when I showed him his brand new 2.0ltr Audi had Skoda stamped all over the engine he had a fit and started to hyperventilate. All the 2.0ltr engines are made by Skoda at their own plant and shipped to Audi. Yet my brand new Skoda diesel estate at the time had an Audi engine in it made at Audis own plant, it was a sub 2.0ltr engine. Of course, they are both part of the VAG group, yet another very incestuous bunch of folks...Lol.

Take care Jim.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Jaz wrote:
[/quote]

[/quote]

As I mentioned earlier, Jialing built all the Helix bikes for Honda for the Asian market under licence. Honda Japan built the european versions. The differences between the bikes was minimal aside from those that I mention in my above post. Honda imposed exacting standards on Jialing. When Honda decided to let the Helix go, they sold the rights to carry on building it to Jialing along with all the tooling. It was perfect for most of the Asian markets still. Jialing will have made some changes no doubt. The JL-250 first came to the UK in around 2004 in limited numbers. Jialing also imported other bikes mostly motorcycles of the 125 type. They were good bikes. Not possible to say who actually manufactured Jimo's genuine Honda parts. These could have been made by Jialing under licence or by Honda Japan. I've seen both. That's why I say 'probably'.

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

Hi Ian, Thanks for your wishes for our recovery and health, it’s appreciated very much,....here because of our senior ages we are ‘locked in’ and not even allowed out to shop, we have to rely on good people like yourselves to help us get through this virus epidemic, I can go out into the garden to try to mow it to resemble the lawn that it once was but even that’s tiring when trying to lift hoppers full of wet grass to tip them from the ride-on mower.

Personal energy is what I require most, a lot of which has been taken away by successive heart attacks and (partial) recovery therefrom which has had a major effect on many of my hobbies - trashing them because of my increased tendency to fall through loss of balance if I should move too quickly - if it hasn’t happened to to you that’s good because I definitely DONT recommend it to anyone.

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70