Coolant sh300i

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Coolant sh300i

Post by Symcity »

My 2011 honda sh300 has covered 18 thousand miles on the original coolant - today I changed it and to be honest the drained coolant appeared to be fine with no discolouration - anyway it was a fiddly wee job and took me longer than expected - when I finally go for a ride I’ll be keeping an eye on the level

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: Coolant sh300i

Post by Data »

Yeah, it's good you changed it as it's well overdue for a change. This should be done on a time basis, not mileage. The problem is if you don't change it on time it starts to eat your engine from the inside as it becomes more acidic. The way it looks doesn't mean it's ok. When you go past the change time, it loses it's ability to lubricate your water pump seal/s so making water pump failure more likely. Just keep an eye on it.

ps. have you owned the bike from new?
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

My scoot is 3 yrs old this Sept with only 6000 miles and I spoke to my mechanic, only last week, about changing it and his response was that it wasn't a huge worry at only 3 yrs and that mileage. He finished by saying that if I wanted it changed he'd do it. The bike's maintenance schedule states a change every 3 yrs however.

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Captain, don't put it off. It does start to become acidic after it's due change date. Techs seems to be somewhat cavalier about coolant sometimes because believe it or not they don't understand much about the different types of coolant that are out there. You don't have to change it bang on 3 years but don't leave it too long as irrespective of miles, the coolant is now toast. My Vespa is every two years because of the cast iron content in the engine, but some owners think you can go 5 years without a change. You can if you want your water pump to fail, or the head gasket to suffer being eaten by acid.

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Thanks Data, I wasn't aware of it's acidity change over time but I did want it changed at this late summer to coincide with its 3 years from purchase date in Sept 2017. Of course, the bike could have been sitting around with coolant in it months before I bought it new; meaning that the coolant is older than its registration date.

That is a job to do then. I guess that brake fluid also needs changing, owing to similar change in its condition?

Data
Benefactor

Post by Data »

Yes, I'd change coolant and brake fluid. Both are due. Brake fluid change is especially good as it normally flushes out loads of the dirt and crap from the factory. Nearly always does when it's done the first time.

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Cheers Data, I'll do it on 'the other side'
On Friday, I popped in to a small motorbike repairs and 2nd hand garage to look at a used SH300i. The bike was due in as part exchange against a nice looking 2003 Fazer 600. The dealer was coughing and I mentioned it to him - I kept my distance as a matter of course - he was filling another bike tank with fuel unbeknownst to me, we chatted about the SH, the tank overflowed on this other bike and covered his floor with a huge, creeping puddle of fuel and I scarpered with a quick but polite wave!

He closed up shop yesterday with 'Covid 19 symptoms' mentioned on his FaceArse page. I hope he cleaned the floor up and is doing well with his cough :shock:

The bloody bike can wait, so too can my coolant until we get through this crisis. :-|

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Data wrote: Mon Mar 23, 2020 5:09 am ps. have you owned the bike from new?
The scooter was first registered on 07/07/2011 I acquired it on 13/05/2016 with only 650 miles on the odometer - so basically it’s been the factory coolant until I changed it yesterday at just over 18 thousand miles - I am the second owner