600 mile service dilemma.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

600 mile service dilemma.

Post by muddyfox »

My mate, an NHS worker, brought a new X Max mid Feb 2020. He has 585 miles on the clock and had it booked in for its 600 mile free service at the dealership he brought it from on Friday 27th March. Turned up this morning at the allotted time to find said dealership closed due to Covid-19 until further notice. He had no prior warning of the dealership closing. The scooter is his only form of transport and he is working nights over the weekend. This will push his mileage over 600 miles. I have offered to do the oil change, which is basically the reason for this service, but he is reluctant to do so incase this invalidates his warranty. He is also concerned that exceeding 600 miles without the dealership service will also invalidate his warranty. Any suggestions ? Cheers.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: 600 mile service dilemma.

Post by MrGrumpy »

Its a nightmare all around isn't it! Yes, I'd agree that your suggestion to do the oil change for him is a good idea. There is no doubt an inspection as well but this can be done when things reopen. Yes, its strictly against the warranty but these are not normal times. The real nightmare is if it goes wrong as its his only form of transport. It is still OK for workshops to be open so he might be able to find another place that's still operating in case of crisis.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

In the past in very busy summer months, Hunts (honda) in Manchester used to get booked up 3 weeks in advance, they used to say your bike will be ok up to 1000 miles for its first service, just dont thrash it.
An oil change that you offered should be done for sure.( nice gesture)
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Keep receipts to show the right oil and filter were used. Ultimately I think as long as people can show they tried to follow the rules, that they'll be fine.

Maybe a photo or screenshot of the workshop's website (if they have a message there) would be handy. Does he have any confirmation (text or email) about the booking? Keep that too.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

I posed a similar Q about my New SH125...
I asked about buying 1lt of oil and changing myself...
He said he could not advise, may invalidate waranty if i did it etc... OK to streatch to 800miles-ish.

I wasnt going to the oil instead of the 600m service, but, for the sake of a tenner - as well as...
I would (and will) change oil and filter (no filter fof me) go OE if you can keep recipts... back pocket if you get an issue
keep quiet and get service done soon as pos.

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Post by muddyfox »

Thanks for all the responses. Oil changed with Yamaha recommended oil. Receipt kept and milage recorded. Closure notice photographed. Email containing receipt,mileage and closure notice sent to dealer and Yamaha UK along with explanation.
Thanks again. Will keep you updated of any repocussions.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I was just going to suggest your friend e-mailing Yamaha about the situation and the actions he has performed - you probably won't get a useful response but it would prove useful documentary evidence if there is ever any dispute (though I seriously doubt there will be).

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Under EU Block Exemption legislation you are not required to have the vehicle serviced at a franchised dealer - I would however suggest that you use OEM parts - like Yamalube oil and genuine Yamaha oil filter and keep the receipts or equivalent quality components - if you had purchased a Honda in the first instance you wouldn’t have to be worrying about warranties - they are bullit proof 😉

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Under EU block exemption you must have the bike serviced by a VAT registered dealer using genuine parts. It does not have to be a franchised dealer for the make of bike that you own. If you service it yourself, the warranty is toast. However, as pointed out, these are unusual times. They may let you keep your warranty, but will probably say why didn't you go to another VAT registered dealer. In addition, any service carried out must be identical to the genuine factory/dealer one, or as close as possible. The first service is not just an oil change. It's a full nut and bolt check, adjust the steering (should it need it), and check every aspect of the bike including an ecu scan for fault codes. A valve clearance check is also required on some bikes.

In reality, I suspect you are ok with what has been done. But it's in the lap of the gods. Good luck!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

SH125Paul wrote: Fri Mar 27, 2020 8:52 am I posed a similar Q about my New SH125...
I asked about buying 1lt of oil and changing myself...
He said he could not advise, may invalidate waranty if i did it etc... OK to streatch to 800miles-ish.

I wasnt going to the oil instead of the 600m service, but, for the sake of a tenner - as well as...
I would (and will) change oil and filter (no filter fof me) go OE if you can keep recipts... back pocket if you get an issue
keep quiet and get service done soon as pos.
Hows the new 125 going Paul, much better than the previous?????
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.