Mot 6 month extension

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Re: Mot 6 month extension

Post by Waldorf »

This is on the BBC News website today.

The section 'What are the rules on exercise?' has a very significant point about travelling to a place of exercise.

It should go without saying that people should be sensible but ..... !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-51506729
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I did a 2 hour walk today - is anyone going to report me to the police???
Enjoyed it immensely so frankly I'm going to do as much exercise as I feel like (on quiet roads and rural footpaths trying to avoid other people).

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

I signed up for updates on MOT gov site all they do is send out same email every few days telling you about 30th of March .

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Waldorf wrote: Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:48 am This is on the BBC News website today
From belgium Waldorf - had a nice wee sojourn through the ardennes in 2018 on my honda sh300i - stayed at hotel Cobut in Falaen - trips around the muese near
Dinant - heading home stayed at hotel Du Commerce in Blankenberge travelling to Bruges by train - interesting wee trip - the Belgians are partial to an occasional beer I observed - and some mighty strong beers did they offer 😉

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

Lovely part of the world, that's for sure.
I haven't ridden in the Ardennes but have old family friends who live there so have visited.

My ex's brother lives in Blankenberge so I know it quite well, too.There was a branch of Hein Gericke there - visited quite often.

I buy Belgian beer on line, particularly Trappistes Rochefort dark beer. The strongest is 11.3% vol. I only ever have one 33cl bottle at a time!
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

richie the 1st
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda sh125 Suzuki Address FL1

Post by richie the 1st »

I Just wonder,just told my boy to get it done [runs out in june] as I said the insurance companys will allways try to not pay out,so if he did get hit by a non-mot what-ever ,and that other what-ever was not road legal,at least he is ok,and it was said you have to maintain it to road legal level.
Its only got to have bald tyre,s/knacked brakes or something else.Then what,
Old honda sh125.
New Honda sh125.
Ride free,ride safe.

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

richie the 1st wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:53 am I Just wonder,just told my boy to get it done [runs out in june] as I said the insurance companys will allways try to not pay out,so if he did get hit by a non-mot what-ever ,and that other what-ever was not road legal,at least he is ok,and it was said you have to maintain it to road legal level.
Its only got to have bald tyre,s/knacked brakes or something else.Then what,
It's enshrined in law, Richie. No way of squirming out of it.

The caveat is that your vehicle does have to be in a roadworthy condition. However, bald tyres, non-functioning brakes etc. would give insurance companies a get-out, current M.O.T or not.

I have two bikes that come up for MOT in July and August respectively. I'll simply be treating the 6 month extension as a ticking clock, and get them both MOT'd during a window in the hokey-cokey lockdown (in, out, in, out) we'll most probably have for the next 6-12 months.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

My mk6 Tmax is due its first MOT in mid June....one presumes things will be slightly more normal by then, but maybe I'm being wildly optimistic!! AFAIK the workshop I use for bikes is still open (allowed to be by guidelines). So when June comes round, will I get 6 months extension automatically, or will I confuse the system totally if I get an MOT at the normal place at the currently scheduled time?

capitano
Admin
Current Ride: Burgman + Cub90

Post by capitano »

Your 6 month extended date will get updated on the DVLA system 3 to 5 days before your original due date.

For example, if your due date is 10th June, on 5th to 7th of June, your due date will be amended to 10th December.

If you have an MOT before 10th June your new due date will be 10th June 2021.

If you have an MOT between 10th June 2020 and 10th December 2020 your due date will be 12 months from that date.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

capitano wrote: Sat Apr 11, 2020 12:38 pm
If you have an MOT between 10th June 2020 and 10th December 2020 your due date will be 12 months from that date.
Cor! Mine was 1st registered 16th June 2017, so due for 1st MOT on June 16 this year, so it really means it won't need an MOT till its 4 birthday?? Car MOT due in Aug and mk3 TMax in November so that puts them both back a year. I'm slightly alarmed that they clearly think that there are still going to be issues a long time into the future!