Noise at take off on AN400

ba249k
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman AN 400 ZA

Noise at take off on AN400

Post by ba249k »

Hi
As a new owner brand new to owning a Burgman AN400 I have noticed a slight squeal at take off. ( A squeal and thrupp sound )
It appears to change now and then sometimes hardly anything and sometimes quite pronounced.
Once moving no noise even coming off or on drive.
My bike is a 2012 ZA with 3700miles on it, it has been stood without use for about 8 months prior to me getting it.
Since then I have put about 150miles on it.
To me it sounds like some noise as the clutch takes up drive?
Anything I should look out for or at?
Could it possibly bed in again with normal use?
Any thought's most welcome.
Cheers
Baz :roll:

rapidrider
Current Ride: Burgman 400 L2

Re: Noise at take off on AN400

Post by rapidrider »

As a relatively new Burgman 400L2 owner, I too got this noise on pull away. I have found after giving it an oil and filter change, & fitting a K&N air filter it has returned to normal. My bike had only covered about 2000 miles but the original air filter was very dirty & clogged & I really wouldn't have wanted to leave it in there till 11000 miles & trying to clean paper filters is never that successful

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Re: Noise at take off on AN400

Post by Data »

ba, only just seen you post here. You may already know this now, but it's your clutch squealing. In particular, when the bike is new the clutch pads are very soft and they produce a lot of dust as you move off. This builds up, especially if you are being a bit too gently with the throttle as you move away. It then starts to squeal. Use at least 4k from standstill to engage the clutch quickly. It minimises dust and heat in the transmission. Use more throttle and it should be ok. The bike has a transmission cooler which blows lots of cool clean air over everything inside the transmission and with more throttle and revs it will clear the dust. You will notice a huge amount of dust over the back wheel frequently. Mostly that's transmission dust. Oh...just one other thing. Make sure you clean out the transmission cooler filter every 1800 miles as per the book. It's easy to do and does not require anything other than unclipping the lower black plastic panel at the rear near the transmission and remove 5 bolts. NOTE: make sure you take note of where the bolts go as they are different lengths and if you mix them up you may damage your engine. It's a 10 min job but make sure the filter is dry after you've washed it in fairly liquid before you replace it. It's a foam filter so does not have to be renewed. Its fixed to a metal frame for strength. There are online vids to show you how to do it but I don't have the links at the moment.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...