My 400 Burgman wont start!!

Waspie
Current Ride: Silverwing

Re: My 400 Burgman wont start!!

Post by Waspie »

In case you haven't got a copy- http://www.wotmeworry.org.uk/manuals/AN-400/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Post 2004 Burger AN400 Manual. may help.
2009 Silverwing
2004 Burgman 400

burger uk
Current Ride: Big burger aka the armchair

Post by burger uk »

air filter is fine, thanks for the link for the manual but i already have one, tried the plug again today, definatly got spark and definatly got fuel to the plug, just no idea why its not firing, unless it sparking at the wrong time.. its going to the garage i think...

J J
Current Ride: Burgman ANz 650 k9

Post by J J »

burger uk wrote:I i will see if i can locate the crank case breather filter.
No filter as such. The crankcase breather pipe leads straight into THE air filter. On my old 400 (k4 ) I was constantly losing oil this way, as at any speed above 60 the pressure was sufficient to, say, pump half a litre of oil down the air intake on a 300 mile motorway blast.

Not only was I always having to check my oil level but also it fouled the plug on a regular basis.

JJ
Currently on an ANz 650 K9 Burgman Exec in Metallic Silver

Previous bikes include: AN 400 K4, X9250sl, X9125, Pug Speedfight XRace, NVT175 Rambler, Triumph T140, Triumph T90, Triumph T20, Velo LE, James Captain, Honda 175

burger uk
Current Ride: Big burger aka the armchair

Post by burger uk »

thanks for all your help!!! i got it sorted, by complete flouk i nudged the wires on the bottom of the throttle position sensor and the bike sprung into life!!, i nudged them again and the bike would not start, i found all the wires had a fracture in them so i re-soldered them on and hey presto, its on the button and also does not run rich, i even jumped the dealer plug to chech the position of the fuel sensor and it was spot on, i did do a sensor sweep before i went down the road of soldereing, this is simple, to chech there is no open circuits in the tps simply obtain a multi meter, set 20k on the dial, connect either plus or minus to the centre wire on the sensor and the other to one of the outer wires, now slowly sweep the sensor by simulating throttle movement (insert a medium flat headed screwdriver into the sensor and SLOWLY open the circuit to the end, what you are looking for are the numbers to slowly and smoothly accend with NO BLANK READINGS or erratic number changes, if you get a smoothe rise in numbers up to the fully open position and the same back down its fine, if not, you have an open circuit in the sensor and you require a new one, this can transpire as a flat spot of slow return to idle on the throttle off or a surge in power or incorrect mixture / fueling.. any whays i love this model (05) its so much better than my 2000 model, but it has done about a third of the mileage to be fair...

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

New Key - How was that done?

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70