Why does my left left brake lever need to be pulled more?

changy

Why does my left left brake lever need to be pulled more?

Post by changy »

Hi, as a big fan of the linked brakes, I use the left lever a lot, more than the right, but have noticed in the last couple of weeks that the lever is requiring a lot longer pull to get the same level of braking. Is this a brake pad issue? Surely if it's linked it would require the same amount of pull as the right brake as it would also be using the front brake?

Any pointers would be gratefully received...

changy

Re: Why does my left left brake lever need to be pulled more?

Post by changy »

Oh and I have a 400 K8

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Could be that you have brake oil leakage or the oil needs changing... when was it last serviced where brakes were checked?
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

The 400 K8 doesn't have linked brakes (I'm pretty sure)

Even if it it did, that doesn't mean that both levers do the same thing and operate all pads equally - sometimes only one lever is linked and there are valves that adjust the split according to speed/pressure.

This is what I don't like about linked brakes, people see "linked" and assume there is just a single pipe run with two levers doing the same thing and they stop braking properly.
Usually the link is there to make sure most of the force goes to the front.

Like funky says, When did you last change the fluid? check the fluid level, check for leaks and loose pipes.

Check the thickness of the pads and disc. there is a ratchet that that takes up play but you might have got to the end of what it can cope with.

If the lever feels spongy there is probably air in the system.
Check the lever end for leaks and wear.

I believe you need to start using your front brake more, it is more effective and applying the rear sharply is likely to cause a skid
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

Jimo
Benefactor
Current Ride: 92 Helix

Post by Jimo »

400 K8 brakes are most definately NOT LINKED....just had mine through the MOT Test yesterday - where the bike is run on rollers to test first the front brake and then the rear brake, while the rollers are running one keeps hold of the brake on the non-roller end wheel which, with one astride the bike, assists in stabilising it as it tries to do its own thing; if brakes were linked the effect would be applying both - er ho hum, will speak with my tester man to get his view....

Jim
‘82 Honda Lead 80, '84 Lead 125, ‘94 Honda Helix, ‘79 Honda ST70

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

Easy to check by looking. If you have two flexible hoses going to one brake caliper, they're linked. That's how it was on my 650 and also on my current SH300 and FJR1300. When travelling slowly, if you give the rear brake a quick squeeze, does the front end dip?
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

Dwainpipe
Current Ride: AN400X

Post by Dwainpipe »

I would just like to clarify how the linked brakes (if fitted to your model ) work. The right leaver operates one piston in the front caliper and the left leaver operates the other piston in the front caliper and also the rear caliper. I tend to use the left leaver all the time and then use the right leaver as well when stronger breaking is required although in the manual it says to use both brake leavers at all times but that's what I do. I have just been out to the garage to confirm that's how they operate by spinning the wheels and pulling the leavers as that seemed the sensible thing to do.
Redbull may give you wings but Bovril gives me horns!