Which Commuter Scooter ?

For members who own little scooters.
Spy
Current Ride: None

Re: Which Commuter Scooter ?

Post by Spy »

Thanks guys.

I visited Motorcycle Live yesterday and as I thought, it has confused me once again.

I looked at the PCX and it is a nice bike but I do prefer the slightly larger bikes, but not quite maxi size (or what I think is maxi size).

THe bikes that I liked the look and feel of, having sat on them, were:
1) Honda Forza
2) Peugeot Satelis 2
3) Yamaha X Max
4) Kawasaki J125

Unfortunately, these are priced more than I would like to spend. My ideal budget is a max of £3k (if I can finance it) or £2k cash.

The PCX fits nicely into this but it is not my first choice at the moment.

The Forza is above my budget and even on the used market, they are still not close.

With the Yamaha XMax, I don't have a dealer near enough to me and as people suggest, dealer support is useful, so I may have to rule that out.

Like the Forza, the Kawasaki J125 is too new to be within my budget.

This leaves the Satelis 2. There are first gen used Satelis in my budget but it is quite old design/tech so would prefer the gen 2 but there don't seem to be any used examples knocking around near me even though it came out in 2012/13.

Given the above, are there any others I may have missed that I should consider. Key things I would like is
- a dealer near me for support: I have Honda, Peugeot, Kymco, Zontes, Motorini, Hyosung and Neco near me. I can get to a Yamaha and Kawasaki dealer but they are not as near as I would like.
- a similar size
- full 15bhp engine with good acceleration off the lights
- fits a full size helmet beneath the seat
- has a 'glovebox' with 12v socket for charging phone or plugging in a satnav.
- decent legroom
- Combined braking or ABS

Also, on a side note, I was quite taken by the Peugeot Django as an alternative to the Vespa but looking at the specs, they don't seem that powerful - anyone owned one of these ?

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Oh you mean "the perfect motorcycle" sorry there isn't one you have to compromise somewhere.

Build your own then its well within budget (not really custom builds always cost more than planned)

Spy

Post by Spy »

Scootypuff snr wrote:Oh you mean "the perfect motorcycle" sorry there isn't one you have to compromise somewhere.

Build your own then its well within budget (not really custom builds always cost more than planned)
?? I am not looking for the "perfect bike" as the ones listed suit my needs.

I was just wondering if there were similar bikes like the ones I prefer, but could be purchased closer to £3k

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Peugeot Citystar?

Thinking of a 200 as my next commuter.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Spy

Post by Spy »

StephenC wrote:Peugeot Citystar?

Thinking of a 200 as my next commuter.
Thanks Stephen, but isn't the Citystar closer to the PCX in size than the Forza and XMax ?

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

just a question if i have missed it.... have you a full licence for bikes??? if you looking for cash £2000 then the xmax mk1 125 or 250 cc from 2007 to 2010 is a good buy if you can find a low miler. they tend to go for £1600 ish for the higher miler and they are selling lots with 30.000 miles plus on them so you know they are a good for the miles.
if you looking for a bargain buy then i had conversations with this seller
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2008-YAMAHA-Y ... Sw44BYMxlL
as listing description was a little confusing, think he has deslexa or something, anyways gist is it was stolen recovered with ignition damaged, no fairing damage to rewire it etc. so new locks fitted, the steering lock does not work as the metal pin part on the headstock was broken off when the thieves took of the steering to nick it ( they tend to sit on scoot and put pressure on the handlebar which then breaks the metal part or skits the steering over it, easy to do on any scoot) and the seat lock needs sorting. but for £1100 with low miles and 8500 miles on her with a full mot and a yamaha top box with back rest its a good buy for the money...
get the seat lock cable sorted and thats it good to go... a 250cc better for two up riding and still gets 80mpg... if i was looking for a commuter then i would go have a look, use ULOCKS ON THE WHEELS AND ALARMED DISK LOCKS FRONT AND BACK AND CHAINS IF YOU GOT SOMETHING TO CHAIN TOO
and you have a good all round scoot for a GRAND
no more looking for that expensive ride to travel to the smoke where it might end up as an insurance claim,
so this scoot is the type i would be looking to buy for cash, lots of pro`s and very few negatives to buying this one :kiss:
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

michaelphillips
Benefactor

if you are quick then this xcity 250 is a great buy http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/yamaha-xcity- ... SwXeJYDLJB
just seen it and only 4 hours to go

Spy

Which Commuter Scooter ?

Post by Spy »

Thanks Michael but I will be riding on a CBT so 125 for me.

What you say makes sense given the intended use. My only worry with a used bike is the reliability if it hasn't been looked after properly and/or age where it starts needing wear and tear parts replaced.

If these things add up, then a newer bike may make more sense.

What are the average maintenance costs as you hit different ages/mileages, for example at 10k miles you can expect to spend £X because it will need a, b and c replacing ?

michaelphillips
Benefactor

Used and diy is easy on scooters... Oil amd filters a doddle and accesdable. Belt evert 12000 to 15000 miles . and brake pads when needed again diy.
New you have a warrenty. So you have dealership tie ins to services
I would buy nearly new. 6 to 10000 miles and diy.
Will post if i see anything in the london area

Pete07bikes
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS300 HPE

Post by Pete07bikes »

Hi Spy,
Hope you don't mind me chipping in my 2 pennth - I've owned 3 scooters since 2011 and replaced them every 2 years, 2 were new, 1 was used - my maintenance costs are shown below.
Maintenance costs for a Vespa GTS 300 over 9,391 miles in 2 years was £1,134
1st service £30, 5,000 KM service £115, 10,000 KM service £562, back tyre £90, 15,000KM service £156, speedo cable repair £181. 10,000 km service included new belt, rollers, brake pads & exhaust (which had rotted within 21 months). Vespa servicing all main dealer.
Maintenance costs for a Honda Swing 125 over 10,850 miles in 2 years was £895
600 mile service £110, 2,500 mile service £125, 5,000 mile service £150, 7500 mile service £130, back tyre £80, 10,000 mile service £300. 10,000 service included brake pads front & rear and brake fluid change. Swing servicing all main dealer.
Maintenance for a Honda Forza 300 over 16,000 miles in 18 months (to date) £688
Bought used 2,000 miles
1st service (6,060 miles) £146, back tyre £91, puncture repair £36, 2nd service (14,500 miles) £363, rear tyre £52. 1st service main dealer, 2nd service independent dealer using Honda parts (and he fitted back tyre as part of service)

My advice: Buy 2014 low mileage Honda SH125/Yamaha Xmax 125 (just out of warranty) from a main dealer with 3 months warranty for peace of mind and change your own oil every 2,500 miles and get independent dealer to service it every 5,000 miles.

The 125cc scooters need an oil change every 2,500 because their oil capacity is only just over a litre.
The 300 Forza has a service schedule of 1 year or 8,000 miles - this makes it cheaper to maintain than a 125cc

Hope that helps
Pete
Medway towns, Kent
Honda 300 Forza
Suzuki Bandit 650
Pete
Rainham, Medway Towns, Kent
Honda CB500-XA