Which Commuter Scooter ?

For members who own little scooters.
michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Re: Which Commuter Scooter ?

Post by michaelphillips »

Great post pete... Used. Is best option. OP lives in london so makes prices higher for the 125 cc bracket.. Well worth a train ride 40 ish miles out to get a scoot.
Theres a 2012 swing 125 with abs with 9000 miles on her which for £1999 is a great price
Ebay item number 232052613099
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Pete07bikes
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS300 HPE

Post by Pete07bikes »

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/YAMAHA-BWS-12 ... SwcUBYE3uZ

Thanks Michael - Yamaha BWS 125 might suit - smallish but funky looking
Pete
Rainham, Medway Towns, Kent
Honda CB500-XA

Spy
Current Ride: None

Post by Spy »

Thanks guys.

I will look at some used bikes given your sound advice.

A PCX with 0% is tempting but if I can get a slightly larger bike used then that may be better.

Not too keen on the BWS as it has the sport scooter look that kids seem to like although it sounds like a good price given age and mileage. Also, it looks a little small for my liking.

The S wing is also a good find but I think it may be a little too big. I am assuming it is bogger than the Forza and X-Max which are the size I like ?

Also Norwich may be a little far to ride it back

michaelphillips
Benefactor

Best sit on an swing as they are same size really. You will need to set tr net wider. Most dealers will deliver for £99 they use bike couriers in vans who travel around the country picking up rides. .. Dropping off rides then doing the same picking up near the drop off.etc
Best to get yr butt on what you want then search for one. Dont buy the pcx as they getting rid on the good but new model looming
Pcx is great compromise and fun to ride any scoot is easily nickable if not shackled down

Spy

Post by Spy »

So far, I have just sat on them but need to test ride I think.

Didn't quite understand what you meant by "Dont buy the pcx as they getting rid on the good but new model looming" ?

I know the 2017 model is coming in March with ABS but don't want to wait that long really.

I see a lot of used SH for sale at decent price/age/mileage which are highly rated. Not sure about it so may need to re-visit it.

Anything else similar in size/performance/spec/reliability to the Forza or X-Max that could be had for around £2k, say up to 2 (maybe 3) years old with no more than 10k miles ?

I can't seem to find a used Forza or X-Max at that price.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Spy wrote:
StephenC wrote:Peugeot Citystar?

Thinking of a 200 as my next commuter.
Thanks Stephen, but isn't the Citystar closer to the PCX in size than the Forza and XMax ?
Citystar is the same size as S-Wing. It also has the advantage over the PCX of having a full fat 125 with the maximum allowed hp for CBT licence. The PCX only has 10hp, the Citystar and S-Wing have 14.5hp.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

michaelphillips
Benefactor

sorry the pcx is great but with a new model looming the price will drop a lot if you buy one now.

yamaha xmax will be out of budget for £2000 unless you want a scoot with 12000 miles already on her which is 4 years of your daily driving or more. or if you get an older mk1 it will be in budget but again the miles on an older scoot..

so options you should be looking at is nearly new.... with low miles for £2000

what everyone overlooks in the yamaha range is the 2015 Yamaha Majesty-S-125 it was bought into uk line up in 2015 at £3699 then yamaha 3 months later also bought in the NMAX 125 which was a bit of a plan flaw by yamaha... as the nmax was priced at £2599 with abs.
the nmax is the sporty model and the majesty is the luxury model, fantastic dashboard and monoshock rear and more room and disk brakes front and rear.. the proven engine out of the Xenter 125 with 12HP but no abs.
the majesty obviously did not sell as well so they then dropped the price to £2899 and now it is not on the uk yamaha website as they have the xmax and nmax so this model is a brill buy at around the £2000 mark as a demo scoot in showrooms...

cager on two wheels demo it

demo of the xmax 125

and the nmax 125

and the pcx 125

so there you have it ... if you want a majesty 125 from a dealer they would delivery it if you ask for there asking price with no charges or haggle with price and pick up yourself :D

like this one which is same as a new one but all depreciation gone Ebay item http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2015-Yamaha-M ... 3641.l6368

have fun looking but the Maj is a sensible choice :D

Spy

Post by Spy »

Thanks Michael.

I have already watched some of those reviews you posted, namely the X Max and PCX.

I have not come across the Majesty before so will look into it now. Dimensions seem very similar to the Honda SH125 and similar power. Not keen on its open glovebox but could be a good choice.

Is there any risk that parts will be hard to find for a majesty given what seems a short life span on the showroom floor ? Anyone owned one and can say how it compares to some f the other options ?

michaelphillips
Benefactor

parts for scoots are available years down the line, and its been withdrawn from the uk lineup new scoots sales here fades in comparison to elsewhere.. we are small fry compared to europe and even more asia,,,,

so no worries there.

Quote "could be a good choice" a scooter more or less brand new with zero ish miles on the clock and saving you ££££.... reliable and very well build which will give years of service.... IS A GOOD CHOICE :D

short lifespan was down to yamaha europe flooding new scoots without the thought of what was coming out on the production line... yet this is ok in europe and asia where new scoot sales are 1000,s and 1000`s per week or even day where folk love a choice.... where as in the uk get dribs and drabs AND they narrow the line up

So when do you expect to be purchasing the scoot??? if you dont have the dosh then go for a 0% deal

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Nmax on 0% my mate got offered £69 pm over 3 years no deposit or £55 pm £500 down

Never use your own money when you can use somebody else's for free