Which Commuter Scooter ?

For members who own little scooters.
Spy
Current Ride: None

Which Commuter Scooter ?

Post by Spy »

Hi all,

I was pointed here from Bike Chat and it looks like a friendly place :D

I am looking to purchase a 125cc scooter for commuting on London A roads to work and back, approx. 18 miles each way.

I previously owned a Suzuki VanVan but now I need to commute again, I would prefer an auto scooter, so no "get a geared bike" posts please Confused

I am limited to a 125cc as on CBT and have no inclination to take the time and money for a full licence.

The A roads I will travel on are limited to 50mph and incorporate those lovely average speed cameras in sections.

There will also be traffic in certain sections at the time of my commute.

This means that it is highly unlikely I will need to exceed 60mph which should be fine for a 125cc scoot.

I think what is more important, will be filtering and weaving through traffic as well as decent acceleration to stay in front of cars when sitting at the front of the queue at lights and they change.

I understand larger wheels (and probably a larger scoot) will soak up the road bumps better but I am worried they may be limited when weaving and filtering through traffic.

I have a few questions, some related to types of scooter and then some on specific scooters and hoping some people can help.

Type of Scooter
Are larger wheeled scooters (say 16") better in every way compared to smaller wheeled scooters (say 11"/12") eg comfort, turning circle etc ?

Are larger scooters like the new Honda Forza, just as easy to filter through traffic as smaller scooters like a Vespa GTS, Honda SH125 or Honda PCX ?

Specific Scooters
Which one would you buy, and why - Honda PCX, Honda SH125, Honda Forza, Vespa GTS ?

The Forza is a nice but expensive scooter but not sure if it is slightly too big when trying to weave through traffic. It looks quite big compared to the PCX and SH125 in dealers.

I know the PCX has a great reputation but I prefer a slightly more upright seating position and a flat board would be a nice option.

I think I would like ABS on the bike which narrows it down to:
- Honda SH125 - like the flat floor, ABS, "sit up and beg" riding position, larger 16" wheels and comes with a storage box but it is a little ugly to my eyes but does that Honda reliability
- Vespa GTS 125 - love the classic look, now has ABS, the flat floor but not sure if they are reliable and they are pricey
- Honda Forza 125 - looks comfy, has ABS but larger than the others and no flat floor and more expensive

Other than the classic styling, does the Vespa GTS 125 have anything else going for it compared to the above ?

Thanks for your help

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Re: Which Commuter Scooter ?

Post by kayz1 »

Welcome to muppets first of all.

Londinium....Vespa will get knicked:
You want a Honda SH125 you do..very nippy and good on fuel as well, will blast through the London traffic when allowed.
But hay i am in North Wales and we only do traffic in the summer time. Richie and a few others will be along shortly to
give you the Info you need.
Lyn.

PS: Sym and Kymco both get good write ups and owners like them as they seem to be trouble free...

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

SH125. Comfortable, nippy, easily maneuverable and reliable. Should hold its value better than most others too. Get a good screen though - a Givi airflow is my favourite.
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

Greyerbeard
Current Ride: Any of the below

Post by Greyerbeard »

If you can afford one, the Forza every time. Loads of storage space, excellent performance and economy, superb handling and brakes, room to stretch your legs.
Good facebook page here - https://www.facebook.com/groups/1609817985925368/
1981 Triumph T140ES
1989 Honda C90
2019 Triumph Street Scrambler 900
2021 Honda Forza 350

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Ive had a forza and a sh 125, I prefer the forza, but in London I think the sh 125 is the tool for the job, sitting high so you can see further along the road and the big wheels will help on the shit roads.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

I got a SH125 a year a go -
Similar journey to You - 18 miles each way - stop start
was doing it on a XMax400 - but saw the light!
Averaging 110 mpg
As you say - not preety - but the tool for the job
Check out my posts...
maybe a 125 S-Wing?

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

How much weather protection do you want?
How much storage capacity do you need?

These are the pivotal questions for commuting. I would assume that you would reject anything that did not come with ABS because of traffic conditions making it almost certain that you will occasional encounter an errant pedestrian or a driver turning right without signalling. Large wheeled machines do cope better with bad road surfaces and do have a little more stability in certain situations but will need a top box if you want to store anything big. Top boxes are likely to attract thieves and vandals whereas underseat storage is a less obvious target. Bodywork and a decent screen keep a lot of muck off your clothes and shoes if they are sensible rather than stylish in design.

If you clock up a significant mileage you should also take account of service intervals, especially if you don't intend to do the servicing yourself.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

Depends on what wonga you want to spend.. Nearly new will save on purshase and depreciation
I have just got a december 2011 xmax 125 for a grand which was a london commuter and also depends on how long you intend to keep it
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

I'd go with the SH 125. Having had the 300 version. It is so narrow it can cut through traffic like a knife. Plus legendary Honda quality and reliability.

barker
Benefactor
Current Ride: gilera nexus

Post by barker »

I use a shi very good , but for less money you can buy a Honda sh mode a tad smaller but a lot cheaper I have both love them both
65 plate mode