Mini-muppet me!

For members who own little scooters.
MjW
Current Ride: TMax 2009 ABS

Mini-muppet me!

Post by MjW »

I promised that the sale of the TMax wouldn't keep me away and I'm back as a mini-muppet with a scooter that will be permanently in Greece. The idea is to have something to move around for a month or two per year when I'm there.

I decided to go for the SYM Symphony 200 STi with combined braking. Found a used '16 model with 6000km and all the extras I wanted for €1800.

I was there for a month and just came back, and I'm pretty satisfied. The quality is not Yamaha or Honda but then again neither is the price.

It is strong enough to take me and the missus around the island comfortably.
Big wheels to handle the bad island roads and occasional dirt road to a secluded beach.
Enough storage under the seat, a top box and a flat surface for the feet with a hook for bags and backpacks.
It even came with an aftermarket LED headlight lamp, the ones with a little built in fan to cool it down. It performed better than expected.

A very pleasant little scooter that is economical, practical and looks good.

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Re: Mini-muppet me!

Post by Maxsymuppet »

I disagree about the quality not being in the Honda/Yamaha league. OK so I have only had my Maxsym for a few months from new but the quality seems to be up to Japanese standards.

What a view in the second photo. I wish I had a view like that from my window!

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

very nice mjw, a good choice.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Post by kishan »

i think years ago sym used to not be up to scratch but as the years went on and technology improved quality of it has been jsut as good as a honda and yamaha and from what ive seen so far on this site the honda seems to have more recalls than sym.

looks like a decent scooter
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.

MjW

Mini-muppet me!

Post by MjW »

Burgman1958 wrote: What a view in the second photo. I wish I had a view like that from my window!
Thank you! Alonissos island provides some great scenery
horobags wrote:very nice mjw, a good choice.
kishan wrote:i think years ago sym used to not be up to scratch but as the years went on and technology improved quality of it has been jsut as good as a honda and yamaha and from what ive seen so far on this site the honda seems to have more recalls than sym.

looks like a decent scooter

Thanks!

I don't have much to compare the brands but when it comes to the specific category of scooters the SYM Symphony 200 and SYM HD2 200 are much cheaper than the Honda SH150 and PCX150.

For the higher Honda price you get a Honda badge, yes, but you also have less cc, perform as good or better, have better consumption, and the engines just feel and sound better made. I do find the Symphony aesthetically more pleasing than the SH150 though.

Now my SYM was a year old and the finish seemed a tad too worn. The silver SYM badge by the speedometer was a bit worn as were the markings around the ignition key hole. Now this could just be bad use from the previous owner.

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

MjW
Welcome to wee world. A good choice of scoot, most back street garages will be able to help out with what you can't do yourself

Also please post more scenery photos when you visit (include the scoot just to keep it on topic)

I think faded badges etc just go with bike/scoot plastics kept outside in hot climates

sixpence
Benefactor
Current Ride: vespa 300cc gts sport

Post by sixpence »

It puts me in mind of the WK 300 GTR that I used to have. Unfortunately, I bought it blind and when it arrived at my house I found out the seat height was too high. I traded it against the MP3 250 but that's another story.
ImageDSCF6221 by Lesley Morrison, on Flickr
ImagePhoto-0026 by Lesley Morrison, on Flickr
I blame it on old age

MjW

Post by MjW »

Scootypuff snr wrote:MjW
Welcome to wee world. A good choice of scoot, most back street garages will be able to help out with what you can't do yourself

Also please post more scenery photos when you visit (include the scoot just to keep it on topic)

I think faded badges etc just go with bike/scoot plastics kept outside in hot climates
You might be right about the exposure to the sun.
Next time there I'll try to include the scoot in the pics! [emoji106]

sixpence wrote:It puts me in mind of the WK 300 GTR that I used to have. Unfortunately, I bought it blind and when it arrived at my house I found out the seat height was too high. I traded it against the MP3 250 but that's another story.
ImageDSCF6221 by Lesley Morrison, on Flickr
ImagePhoto-0026 by Lesley Morrison, on Flickr
I'm unfamiliar with the brand, but it looks very nice. It checks all the boxes for what I was after except that the motor is a bit bigger. I wanted to be in the 125cc-250cc category to get a cheaper insurance. And a cheaper scoot. :)

sixpence
Benefactor
Current Ride: vespa 300cc gts sport

Post by sixpence »

It might not be called a WK in Greece. I know in Australia the brand is called Big Boy. It's a Chinese clone, it was a very cheap bike both to buy and insure. It was a shame about the seat height 'cause I actually quite liked it.
I blame it on old age

kishan
Current Ride: gilera runner 125ST

Post by kishan »

not keen on the gold rims, think white would look better or standard silver
PIAGGIOOWNERSCLUB.FREEFORUMS.ORG - THE HOME FOR GILERA , APRILIA , PIAGGIO AND VESPA OWNERS.