Nmax 125

For members who own little scooters.
Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Re: Nmax 125

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

I hope so Pete. At least the motor was wanting to go rather than not!

Pete07bikes
Benefactor
Current Ride: Vespa GTS300 HPE

Post by Pete07bikes »

Any update on you scooter Capt?
Pete
Rainham, Medway Towns, Kent
Honda CB500-XA

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Yes Pete.......

The dealer is a few miles away and said that they were happy for the scoot to be looked at by a local Yamaha-trained independent mechanic. This was last Friday when the scoot began to surge rather than idle at a red light etc.

Well, I set off last Sat on the way to the mechanic (whom I've known and got on well with for many years btw) - the bike was still needing to be turned off at the lights, yet at the final set of traffic lights the fuelling settled down to a normal idle speed. Would you believe it?! The engine light remained on though. Mr Mechanic plugged in his Yamaha diagnostic box only to find that it didn't bloody work either! :roll:

I've been commuting to work this week with the engine light permanently on but the bike running normally. I will be taking it back to the mechanic today - he has a new diagnostic 'box' - and hopefully, an explanation of the fault when he knows the fault code.

Fekin rigmarole but I will get to put the kettle on and have a gander at the bikes he has in! icon_cuppa.gif

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

I hope its not too serious, and don't let it put you off, yamaha scooters are well built reliable machines.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

Capt. R Swipe wrote: I had two options to remain stationary at lights - switch off engine or keep both brakes on. The bike wouldn't idle at a stop and the yellow engine light popped on and now is a 'pretty' feature when ignition on. The motor wanted to surge and pulse at the lights pushing me forward.
I had something remarkably similar on my J300. When stationary the bike wanted to pull forward hard but when pulling away it bogged down before resuming normal progress. No warning light though.

My problem was that a roller had broken and was jamming the clutch so it did not disengage.

The warning light probably means your problem isn't the same, but as I imagine this would not come up on an electronic diagnostic check it might be worth opening the housing to take a look.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

Pete07bikes
Benefactor

Post by Pete07bikes »

Sounds to me like the scooter has cured itself & just needs the diagnostic machine connected to turn the engine light out. Possible dodgy petrol or similar but, as long as it's running ok again & provided the engine light goes out all is well for you.
Pete
Honda CB500-XA

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

Exactly Pete....

Well, it sorted itself out. It was plugged into diagnostic machine. I didn't follow the explanation of the fault but it was logged only once. I was told that after 200 ignition key turns, and as long as there was not a repeat of the fault, the engine light would turn itself off anyway!
Engine light off now and 600 mile service done too. Bike is running well now.

It is quite quick for a 125 and will allow me to overtake and dart for gaps with ease, within the confines of the city. Standard seat is also comfy and has allowed me to do 90 mile days without the numb arse I'd have on the Vision 110 after 50 miles.

Pete07bikes
Benefactor

Post by Pete07bikes »

Great news Capt, fingers crossed for an uneventful future for you both
Pete
Honda CB500-XA

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Dredging up an old thread :)

As my Xmax 300 was wiped out in a SMIDSY last week I have been given one of these little fellas to commute on until everything gets sorted. I though I'd share a few thoughts on how commuting 30 miles from leafy Essex into the very centre of that there London compares.

First of, unsurprisingly, is that the Nmax is slower. I managed to get it to 61mph (digital speedo) but there was nothing left and it took a while to get there. It's a 125 so that's fine but it does mean I intend to avoid the faster dual carriageway or motorway options for my route home as that is a lot slower than the rest of the traffic once the queues clear. Acceleration off the line is fair for a 125 and easily enough for in-town traffic.

Filtering is a bit easier, as the lighter weight and shorter length mean I can get around vehicles blocking my filtering with some ease - nice. Of course the mirrors and my body are just as wide as they were on the Xmax so the advantage of the Nmax here is only seen now and again.

Safety. ABS but no traction - fair enough. For me the main issue is visibility. Not just that the Xmax's lights are clearly (pun intended) and noticeably more easily seen by other traffic but that it is obvious that when they do see you, they choose to ignore you. I guess this is down to the bike's small size and the speed they assume it is approaching them, but possibly also a reaction to the antics of the mad moped brigade (although the bike of choice for most nutters in London seems to be a PCX).

Carrying stuff. I had to stuff my helmet in upside down with rain jacket inside it for the seat to close. I managed to get my smaller padlock in there too, but that was it. If I were running one, there would have to be a topbox fitted all the time. As with the Xmax, there is no curry hook, which is disappointing. No 12V outlet either, unless it is hidden somewhere. Last of all there is a glovebox or more accurately, a glove hole which is only big enough for my summer gloves and has no lid.

Economy. The average I have been getting for my commute lately on the Xmax was 100mpg. This morning the Nmax returned 110mpg on the same route, roughly the same duration. I imagine the difference would be much more if I spent less time on fairly fast roads.

Instruments are basic but are fine in today's sunlight. No complains there. Without a handbook I am at a loss as to what one of the gauges is: I though it was temperature but when I stopped it did too. Rev counter, then? Econometer? There's a basic trip computer but the button to change views is a bit of a reach and slightly fiddly with gloves on.

Conclusion. Not for me, for my journey. but if you are staying largely in town, moving through heavy traffic and not needing to cart around a load of stuff - can't see why you wouldn't want one :)

StephenC
Benefactor

Post by StephenC »

Update after the ride home.

Mpg is now up to 117, which is nice.

The ride is pretty good actually, perhaps better than the Xmax. Also better is that you can stretch your legs out a bit more than on the Xmax, which I was surprised to find.

From around 45mph there's real wind pressure on my chest, demonstrating why a proper screen is a good thing.

Refueling was easy, with a nice wide whatever it's called so you can easily see the level as it flows in.

The gauge on the right is definitely an econometer.

Buying a bag of bagels on the way through Gants Hill I found that they could go under the seat whilst I could safely hang my scooter bag over the wing mirrors and dangle it in front of me. So the lack of a curry hook isn't such a bad thing after all