SYm Symphony ST200i

For members who own little scooters.
Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

SYm Symphony ST200i

Post by Drago »

Picked up a second hand one of these today. Saw it in my dealer the over day. I was planning on
getting a new 125cc come March but went for this as it was £1750, just 1500 miles on the clock, a few little marks
on the bodywork but nothing major. It's black and a 66 plate. Mot not due until the end of next year and still has just under four years warranty left.

A few spec's - the '200' motor is in fact a 169cc air-cooled 2 valve. Basically an bigger bored 125 motor.
12hp @7500rpm, 12.5nm torque @ 5500rpm, 16 in wheels and a 7.5L fuel tank.

Now, I was put off by the admittingly odd engine size - It's not learner legal of course, 12hp, air cooled 2 valve
and comes in the same tax bracket as my 300. My old Daelim S1 produced 11.5hp with it's air/oil cooled
4 valve 125cc motor. But whilst riding this bike right away the difference was noticeable. The extra
torque really helped pull it along. It was pulling up hills nearly just as well as the 300 does. Peak torque
hits at 5500rpm, which is around about the 35-45mph mark. It happily gets up to 55mph, push it a little more to
get to 60mph. WOT tried briefly, got up to 65mph, reckon it will top out at 67 or so, not much different to the S1
but again the acceleration is far superior and the motor feels more... 'relaxed'. So whilst a 'decent' (15hp) 125cc
liquid cooled scooter might still out perform it at the same time this bike new is £2499 compared to the £4000+
wanted for the 125 Maxi's these days.

Another feature I like on this bike is the dash. It has an analogue dial with a digital background. Then there's a digital display underneath. Now the analogue dial can either be the speedo or tachometer (vice versa for the digital bottom display. The good thing is now this is a SYM with a MPH speedo (Gn2 would of been going ape if he hadn't been banned :lol: ) I've got the analogue display as the tachometer and the bottom digital display as the speedo. Funny getting used to a purely mph figure, I've never owned an mph (main) speedometer before. Took me oh, two seconds to adapt.

Only negative so far is the seat. It's not uncomfortable. It's slippery, very slippery as if a whole can of mr sheen has been sprayed all over it! Fine when going, but braking or shifting position on corners caused me to slide forwards/over more than I want. Annoying, I may have to looked into a cover or something. Another thing I'm not sure about is the fuel tank. Like several scooters it's under the seat at the rear. Whilst the battery is in the floor. I would of prefered these to be the other way round.

Wheels - I've never owned or ridden a big wheeled scooter before, apart from the Honda C90 I had once(but then thats really not a scooter). I've always wanted to try out big wheels. Have to admit not as great as I was expecting. I still feel the bumps though over pot holed sections the difference was noticeable - was not as harsh as a smaller wheeled scooter.

I've only ridden it briefly but hopefully will say more once I've had ridden it a bit more.
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

muddyfox
Benefactor
Current Ride: Yamaha 250r x max

Re: SYm Symphony ST200i

Post by muddyfox »

Great choice of scooter Drago. I have had a couple of 125 Sym's. Very reliable and underestimated. Truth be told I still miss the Sym Shark most. Brought it on eBay and arranged to bring it back to Nottingham from Western Super Mare (140 miles) via the works transit van. Let down with the van on the morning of collection. Missus dropped me off at Western Super Mare and I rode the Sym back keeping off the Motorway. It never missed a beat and lived outside under a cover for the final 4 years of my working life and never once failed to start and get me to work.
Muddyfox (Nottingham)
Ride safe

Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Post by Drago »

Owned for a week and so what happens? I get a puncture! :evil: A small sharp stone had ripped it's way through. Left
a small slit so have to get a new rear tyre now. Bloody stones!
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

chris
Current Ride: 2011 Sym Symply 50

Post by chris »

Not good news about the stone :( but I've got to agree with muddyfox about the syms, my little 50 is brilliant, admittedly not the fastest but it just keeps doing the job. Clocked 3000 miles in my ownership this week and nearly 11000 overall and still going strong
Racking up the miles...............slowly!! icon_moped.gif :lol:

roygib
Benefactor
Current Ride: sym symphony st Yamaha Tricity

Post by roygib »

I have owned a Sym Symphony 200i for nearly 2 years now,very good bike,the only thing i do not like is the speedo,in bright sunlight it's very hard to read.Just replaced the battery,had nothing else wrong with it.

roygib
Benefactor
Current Ride: sym symphony st Yamaha Tricity

Post by roygib »

001.JPG

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

thats a nice looking scoot. icon_thumbs_up.gif
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.