Benefactor

Re: Wolverhampton International Airport

Post#22 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:44 pm

Good man icon_thumbs_up.gif

Hey Ray, have you told Pikey ? should be in range for him

Burgman1958

Post#23 » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:00 pm

rayb wrote:How does Thursday 11.30am at Halfpenny Green cafe sound? Weather permitting.

Just a thought. The Halfpenny Green Café and the Navigator Café are the same? Just to make sure I go to the right one! I haven't been to Halfpenny Green for a lot of years.

rayb
Benefactor

Post#24 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:07 am

The one in the tower. I'll PM in my mobile number.

rayb
Benefactor

Post#25 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:00 am

Looks like doc1864 might be joining us.

The Bern
Benefactor

Post#26 » Mon Apr 16, 2018 11:08 am

Cool, the more the merrier, moved my driver of the day on a week, so it's all good

Snail

Post#27 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 4:42 am

Hi guys have a good day weather perfect, would of joined you, but it's my birthday so other plans afoot, so riding or driving would be unwise hic,hic!
Snail

rayb
Benefactor

Post#28 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:08 am

Snail wrote:Hi guys have a good day weather perfect, would of joined you, but it's my birthday so other plans afoot, so riding or driving would be unwise hic,hic!
Snail

Last time I went to Halfpenny Green was on my birthday. A really hot day and I treated myself to some birthday cake. Have a great day. :)

The Bern
Benefactor

Post#29 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:13 am

sun.gif Cheers bud, Hoppy Burpday hic, burp icon_beer.gif icon_birthday.png icon_beer.gif

Meldrew
Benefactor

Wolverhampton International Airport

Post#30 » Thu Apr 19, 2018 5:10 pm

Meldrew wrote:Remember I recently posted 'Nowt to do with the Black Country of course, but as I've rode past this place a few times over the years, I'm thinking of stopping there for a currywurst next week. http://www.cafe36-online.de '

I rode to this Cafe 36 around lunchtime today from my hotel in Bad Lauterburg on a mixture of quiet roadsand autobahn. Cafe 36 it about half a mile outside the town of Kelbra in the state of Saxony-Anhalt in what used to be East Germany.

The number36 in Café 36 comes the number of uphill bends in the 4.5 km stretch of the B86 going up into the Kyffhäuser Mountains before the road levels out on the road up to Bad Frankenhausen. It's very popular with riders belonging to the Order of Humpy Back Leathers who hang out at Cafe 36. I use a photo I took of the road sign warning bikers of the number of bends as my avatar on the Silver Wing forum.

I've previously ridden the 'Kyffhäuser' on 400 and 650 Burgmans as well asmy current Silver Wing on previous trips to the Harz, the last time being six years ago when I was staying in Mühlhausen in Thuringia, another place that used to be in East Germany.

So today it was hot and sunny and it was a pleasure to be riding on an endless grey ribbon of well maintained road, as I approached the Cafe I was looking out for the best place to park, at the cafe itself or this patch of bare ground about 30 yards away where a number of bikes were parked up. All the bikers were lounging about at outside tables nearer the cafe, and as it was lunchtime I was ready to eat.

Anyway I ended up going past the place as usual and the start of the first Kyffhäuser bend is just past the cafe, and it's not a place I wanted to hang about as apart from normal traffic, there's the usual faster throttle jockeys coming up behind. So I thought I may as well do it again, and it was loads of fun. The road conditions were perfect, no one was in my mirrors, and the ContiMove365 shod Silver Wing handled it impeccably.

When I got to the top, I thought should I go on to Bad Frankenhausen and have lunch at my usual place, or go leftand have a look at the Kyffhäuser Denkmal (monument). It was covered with scaffolding last time I was there six years ago, When I got there I thought bollocks to that too, I've already been there a couple of times.

So it was back up the road to the junction then down the 36 twisties back to the cafe. Again a completely empty downhill road and just as enjoyable. Then I parked up near the cafe, got out of my gear and went down to this building in a dip that was serving food where most of the bikers were. There was goulash on the menu and I ordered that and a Coke and took my food to sit at a table near the road to watch riders approaching the start of the run.

I was quite surprised to see riders approaching the cafe from Kelbra and really speeding up to go into the first bend. Even more surprising was some riders that had been at the cafe, got on their bikes and went from that nearby car park howling past me in line astern to tackle the hill. Then maybe 10 to 15 minutes later they were back down turning into the car park again before they went off and had another go. In fact quite a few riders were doing that, blast off, come down again, turn into the car park, smoke a fag then go off and do it again.

Not me though, I finished my lunch and decided to ride back to Bad Lauterburg and change into T shirt and shorts, get a bit of sun on the legs, rinse through a couple of T shirts, eat ice cream, and have a beer etc. Anyway I've been to Goslar, Quedlinburg, Werningerode, Göttingen, Einbeck, and plenty of other places in the Harz region over the years.

Return to “Meets and Rideouts”