Meets National or Regional

Gerard C
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650

Meets National or Regional

Post by Gerard C »

I know there's another thread open on this but maybe we need to see what the interest really is.

Recognising that Trad Scooters pull off major meets as do various Motorcycle marques, ie Goldwing owners etc, both attracting large numbers it does seem strange that Maxi Scooter riders can't do something.

So lets just see what's out there as regards interest and in what.

Firstly group rides are OK but not to everyone's taste and simply standing round talking Scoot can be a bit boring. We all know about the bikes and the only thing that would stir me up is a Burgman that isn't Grey or Silver Ha Ha.

So would there be an interest in say meeting at a general interest attraction? For example and this is just a thought the Air Museum off the M11? I use that only as an example.

Would there be any interest in say negotiating a special rate at a Hotel? This is what the Goldwingers do, or so I am informed. A convention Hotel can be largely empty at weekends and therefore cheap. The X9 owners club do this and I would have gone but it clashed every time with family holiday commitments - see it happens.

I would like to hear views on what would be a good idea to draw members in.

Please do not write to tell me what won't work or why you don't like riding in groups or negative thinking. Lets see what would work. Tell me your interested if we get it right and what would make it right. Maybe something that would get Wives or partners to want to come as well.

Personally I can take or leave riding in a group, but I do like to meet up with fellow enthusiasts. It reinforces my decision to ride Scoots.

To me a National Meet - done right - would be the focal point of the riding year, something to plan for.

I know cost could be an issue but if that's openly discussed then maybe we could source out a venue where camping is there for those that want it alongside a hotel or similar with a group meal. This would mean that it has to be in the warmer months. Maybe September or early October.

So if you fancy a National or maybe Regional meet put your name forward with ideas and preferences.

This would take some organising but I will lead it off if there's interest. What I wont take though is criticism for doing something and getting it wrong. Its up to us all to contribute ideas.

So for now - names and ideas only please to give some idea of numbers.

Fishtown Phil
Benefactor
Current Ride: Xevo 125 Suzuki gs250t

Re: Meets National or Regional

Post by Fishtown Phil »

Now this is Positive! As I previously posted, every other group,members,mates manage something on a national/annual basis so why can't we? Obviously the geographic scale of members is the key consideration when it comes to Venue, and you will never please everyone all of the time, however, the majority, in my opinion would be prepared to give a national meet, and anyone committed enough to organise one, their full support. Just an idea? would the setting up of some sort of small "committee" to spread the workload involved be a good starting point.

lonepilgrim
Current Ride: 2009 Suzuki Burgman 200

Post by lonepilgrim »

I would happily help and come along so long as it was a weekend i could attend as work 2 in 4

Fishtown Phil
Benefactor
Current Ride: Xevo 125 Suzuki gs250t

Post by Fishtown Phil »

lonepilgrim wrote:I would happily help and come along so long as it was a weekend i could attend as work 2 in 4
If a national meet is a bridge too far time scale wise, then perhaps Regional meets initially would be a good starting point!
Like lonepilgrim I would happily lend support and help when able :D

Gerard C
Benefactor
Current Ride: Suzuki Burgman 650

Post by Gerard C »

This is a very good start. I would think a small committee is the way forward on this. Lets give it a while to see the response. As far as dates go we can put forward a few and in honesty take the one that most can do. And as soon as possible so that members can organise time off if needed.

I think its important that we know if partners are likely to be coming because in my experience no one wants to be the only female there. The more social it is then the broader the appeal.

Ferret
Benefactor
Current Ride: Aprilia srv 850

Post by Ferret »

First off if I can possibly help I will . I agree it would be great to sort something out . I have been involved with arranging meets ect for bike groups I used to belong to and yes it is very hard to please all . I would suggest initially look at attaching ourselves to a bike group/ meet . One example would be the Italian car and bike weekend do in Bristol . I say this as an example as these types of meet have a lot already arranged , ride outs to museums etc with a wide variety of events going on to suit all ages and orientation . With this type of event there is always all needed facilities catered for . These type of events often allow you to set up a club marquee / tent/ pop up whatever . We did this at silverstone motogb with various other groups a few years ago with a barbie for the group and then in the evening utilised all the entertainment. That was available . With doing this this way we actually got discounted weekend passes to the racing as well. £14 .quid. For the whole weekend , you could not get in to watch the races for that . This was achieved by tagging on initially to another group then the following year it was offered directly to us . So I,m in so let's see what interest we can get and try and put a list together of what people want . There is also the opportunity to get a dealer involved by sorting test rides combined with a ride out and most tend to have a food van or something on site ,this could also be tagged into an event . I have been to the Kawasaki event day at silverstone for 2 years now it's free to all who register ,but limited numbers ,this would make a great day meet especially as they now are entering the scoot market . I did a track test and a off road quad test rides were available . There was superbike stars present and free for a chat an pics with a field with kids entertainment , castle fair etc .

terryvanman
Benefactor

Post by terryvanman »

Another alternative would be, Find a pub that allows groups of people to camp in the garden free, so long as they buy a beer/meal in the pub. One pub I use with the campervan club I'm in is, The Fox and Goose in Greywell near Basingstoke and a 2 minute walk to the Basingstoke canal for Nature lovers and fishing. http://ccs.infospace.com/ClickHandler.a ... D45B0F437F" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another place is Apps Court Farm near Walton on Thames, the Thick As Thieves biker club use it every year for their club do. http://ccs.infospace.com/ClickHandler.a ... C5EF475000" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The simplest thing is a ride into london and a visit to the museums in Kensington Free Parking on a sunday and the Science Museum has changed alot, since I was a kid.
Dear God,
Please send clothes for all those poor ladies
in Daddy's computer. Amen

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

The Flowerpots at Cheriton, east of Winchester used to host the MZ's southern region camping weekends. (The campground/back garden slopes as I recall!)
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

We did a meet up at Duxford a few years ago - it all went very well until JohnP got a puncture. If some were staying overnight in the area then I would suggest heading a bit further south before/after the museum to run along the B184, which is a nice road, down to Ongar. We have a diesel-electric heritage railway, with old buses linked to it, running now.

http://www.iwm.org.uk/visits/iwm-duxford" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://eorailway.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

maxsymiser
Current Ride: Honda X-ADV750

Post by maxsymiser »

Gerard C mentioned Duxford, they have an airshow on 13/14th September?