Wot u reckon

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Wot u reckon

Post by Symcity »

Arrive Ijmuiden 25 May DFDS Seaways - thinking of the Namur region of Belgium say Dinant for a couple of days - then on to Germany say Bernkastel-kues/Cochem for a couple more days - then say Koblenz for another two days - thereafter maybe back to the Netherlands for a final few days - DFDS Seaways back to Newcastle - sh300i is the mode of transport

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Re: Wot u reckon

Post by Globs »

Sounds nice, what month are you traveling?
Have you got a bit topbox?
Have you got a big screen?

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

Globs wrote:Sounds nice, what month are you traveling?
Have you got a bit topbox?
Have you got a big screen?
Arriving Ijmuiden 25 May - haven’t actually booked a return so it gives me some flexibility - standard honda OEM topbox - 35 litre I think - I’ve got the OEM high screen and a slightly lower Fabbri screen - I’ve got a Givi roll bag and tunnel bag which is quite good - I had first intended to visit the Ardennes region of France however france has become so expensive I’m going to give it a miss - not got an abundance of cash so the tent is coming too - planning on around 250 miles per day - prior to this trip I’ve got a week fully inclusive in Cyprus in april - happy days - you only live once

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

As Globs says sounds a great trip.
I would have been interested if you wanted company bit it clashes with MMiM (Maxi Muppets in Malta)

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

The end of May should have better weather but still be prepared to take warm clothing, I recall hail one May in France LOL!

I'd go with a tall screen as it's nice to hide behind if it's cold or rainy - a warm day can turn into a cold still evening! Tent sounds good, 35ltr sounds a bit small but you may pack light.

I organised my last trip with most stuff in the topbox, valuables under the seat with space for the lid there too. This gave me security when parking - i.e. avoid valuables in bags that can be cut away and taken. 250 miles shouldn't be too bad, the main issue is the actual times when you need to find a place to stay - many times I've rode into the night which has the advantage of light traffic and still air, but it also gets very cold and one gets tired - so I'd do some detailed route planning - it can always be changed when you're there.

Sounds like a great trip, much fun to be had! Worth taking 1/2ltr of oil (+funnel or foil) with you for top-ups if needed and tyre sealant or a puncture repair kit and a small bike pump. Don't use CO2 as you'll be stuck if it runs out, a pump takes longer but you'll always get there.

Also budget for the odd hotel like the B&B brand - just in case it's raining - nice to spread out with en-suite facilities and a place to dry your gloves if you need it :)

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

Thanks for that globs - cases of personal experience cannot be underestimated - I’ll certainly take on board your suggestions

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

Whilst I appreciate that the newcastle/ijmuiden/newcastle crossing with DFDS Seaways is approx fifteen hours each way - I find it is mandatory to purchase a cabin as this route does not offer any reclining seat option - much as I prefer a cabin it is thoroughly expensive for the single traveler - as previously mentioned I only booked a single crossing from newcastle giving me some flexibility for my return journey - I’m now thinking that I should have booked a return as I now plan in returning home from ijmuiden - dfds are quoting £77 for the scooter and £170 for a cabin - add this to my outward journey and we are talking a total of £420 - now I see why dfds don’t offer reclining seats on this crossing - because they are making a bloody fortune - factor in £50 per night for accommodation over seven nights is a further £350 - say £100 for fuel for the week and daily spending money and I’m now looking at a total cost of over £1200 for a week - folks I know that the war is over however that’s a lot of dough for a simple break away - my finalised route is one night in each of the following places - dinart in belgium - vianden in luxembourg - bernkastel/kues in germany - cochem in germany - koblenz in germany - dortmund in germany and finally delft in the netherlands

newscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: Grinnall BMW trike

Post by newscooter »

Cochem is popular and busy but there are other hotels including a biker one in Klotten which is only a mile or so up the road

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

Thanks meldrew - claiming sofas in lounges tantamount to grabbing a sunbed by the pool - no commodore class for me I'm afraid - inside two berth cabin without a seaview - no snoring or farting strangers

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

I’ve had second thoughts about my planned itinerary - going to be too expensive to return via Ijmuiden - I’m now thinking of returning via Dunkirk - this mind you shall entail a longer journey home - reckon I also planned too many places for a relatively short break - so I’ve decided to book Cochem for three nights enabling me to do daily trips to discover the area - after that I’m not so sure - bearing in mind I now propose a channel crossing coming home does anyone have any suggestions for the remaining five or six days - okay so after Cochem I’ve decided to visit Dinant on the river meuse for two more nights then maybe a couple more in normandy