Anyone done a fly-ride?

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Anyone done a fly-ride?

Post by Steve_D »

As above. After 6 years on the trot of having one-week European riding trips with friends, I found last years trip doing a week of between 300 and 400 mile days a bit too much so I made a snap decision and sold the FJR in the summer after putting it up for what I considered a high price and someone buying it. The breaks weren’t exactly cheap anyway with tunnel fees, tolls, fuel, accommodation, European breakdown insurance, food & drink costing up to £1,200 a time plus tax, mot, servicing, insurance and depreciation costs on a bike that sat in my garage for over 50 weeks of the year.

Now I’m beginning to think of another biking holiday. Not that much that I want to go out and buy another bike as I really only used it once a year for one week with a couple of Saturday morning ride outs so considering looking at a fly-ride break - at least one or two of our group are possibly up for it too. No wasting time and money travelling up to two days each way crossing the flatlands of France to get somewhere nice. Three hours on a plane, get off and you’re ready to ride (almost). Just 3 or 4 days at first to see how it goes. Thinking of either booking separate flights and hiring a bike at the other end and doing it ourself or an all inclusive package - bike, accommodation, meals and guide. Wouldn’t mind one that did a little bit off off-roading too.

Has anyone been on one? Any suggestions?
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

terryvanman
Benefactor

Re: Anyone done a fly-ride?

Post by terryvanman »

Malta with the rest of the guys.....just a thought.....and you can do the whole country in a couple of days...the rest of the days just sit around and drink beer
Dear God,
Please send clothes for all those poor ladies
in Daddy's computer. Amen

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

Hadn’t thought of that, never been there before. We're going to Malta later this year for an Italy and Croatia cruise from Valletta. Many nice roads out there?
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Malta is great, or you could also try Goa Steve, shit roads, R/enfields £7 per day, fantastic country/weather/.people, cost of food/drinks very cheap. Im off in 3 weeks. 8-)
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

Another job done by the Muppet forum, great idea.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

terryvanman
Benefactor

Post by terryvanman »

Steve_D wrote:Hadn’t thought of that, never been there before. We're going to Malta later this year for an Italy and Croatia cruise from Valletta. Many nice roads out there?
Not many nice roads except the coast road [better know as the race track] if you ride along it on any Sunday the "arse up head down sports bikes brigade" will come past you like your standing still,,,,just bring lots of toilet paper with you if you do venture on to it.
Dear God,

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Changed a bit from my day then Terry. The road for Luqa to Kalafrana was a cracker, especially in a 3 ton truck.

terryvanman
Benefactor

Post by terryvanman »

The roads in Malta are so bad the dentists make a fortune replacing filling
Dear God,

Mister Paul
Current Ride: Honda Forza 300

Post by Mister Paul »

After visiting Geneva, seeing the fantastic roads and remembering the cheapness of my flights its the first place I'll try if I get the opportunity to fly and ride.

Liam
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax 560 Vespa Sei Giorni

Post by Liam »

having seen the prices to take the scoot to Spain by ferry,, I'm thinking of doing a fly ride one day.
Always fancied a go on an auto Vespa!
https://www.via-vespa.com/