Forthcoming short euro trip

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Forthcoming short euro trip

Post by Symcity »

On 24 May I’m off to Rhineland Palatinate and the Ardennes in Belgium for a week - I’m wondering which attire to wear - I’ve got two jackets by Dainese one goretex and fairly heavy and one D-dry which is slightly lighter and I have a pair of Dainese goretex lined trousers - I also have the option of Kevlar denim trousers though these are not waterproof - I’ve got all sorts of base layers so that’s not an issue - so which gear would you opt for for undertaking a similar trip

Steve_D
Benefactor

Re: Forthcoming short euro trip

Post by Steve_D »

When I used to go on Euro trips, I took two suits! One waterproof textile Scott jacket and trousers and one mesh jacket, gloves and trousers. The waterproof kit was a Godsend as EVERY time (six out of six) it absolutely lashed down on day one.
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

all the waterproof stuff you can muster :lol: you can always remove the liners ( IF ) it gets warm-ish :lol:
Or it maybe that i am feeling my age.
Lyn.

Alanzzg
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing

Post by Alanzzg »

kayz1 wrote:all the waterproof stuff you can muster :lol:
And some more ,
the last euro trip we did it icon_rain2.gif every day , :cry:
Member of The Ugly Bunch -2
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly,

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

Meldrew wrote: But after a day of Blazing Saddles like farting early on, I decided it could be Harz tap water for once, that's why I went onto the bottled stuff.

Have wheels, will travel :D

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

Okay so it’s gonna be my lighter dainese jacket and a sachet of andrex wet ones in case I opt for the Leitungswasser

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

Meldrew - on a different subject - did you take out european breakdown cover - I’m being quoted £33.75 for a single trip

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

Meldrew wrote:I didn't, only £9.98 to Allianz Assistance for Travel Insurance as an add on when I booked my ferry tickets.
Thanks I’ll check that out

caecilius
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Post by caecilius »

re European breakdown - I got an incredible deal from RAC. I insure the car through them on a driver cover basis and that covers me for bike breakdowns too. They sent the usual exorbitant renewal price this year, £260 as I remember. When I got on the phone to haggle, it went down to £120 and they threw in European Rescue.
I'm heading for Germany at the start of June. My fav bit of kit is one of those portable water heating elements. I boil up a thermos flask-full at the start of the day in the hotel (or on the Stena ferry) and have a nice cuppa or two during the day's travels. I used to take a gas stove but it requires more space.

Symcity
Benefactor

Post by Symcity »

Well this is my final evening in hotel Zur Post in Klotten on the Moselle - had three great days exploring this beautiful area - today I opted for the DB train into Koblenz where I took in the famous german corner where the rivers Rhine and Mosel merge - great views were to be had from the Seilbahn cable car which crosses the rivers high above - tomorrow I head to the Ardennes area of Belgium for two nights - I just hope that the weather holds up - so far it’s been sunny and above 25 celcius each day