Anyone done any motorcycling in Corsica?

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Anyone done any motorcycling in Corsica?

Post by Steve_D »

Having sold my FJR last year, I won’t be going on the annual Euro bike trip with my friends this year. They are planning to go to Corsica this September. I won’t miss the journey there and back but I’m seriously considering flying out there and hiring a bike for the 3 or 4 days they will be there. I've looked into it and I reckon I could fly there and hire a bike for little more than the cost of the Euro tunnel and Marseilles - Corsica ferry costs.

Has anyone on here done any motorcycling/motorcycle hire in Corsica and can offer any tips or even any advice on what to do/what to see?
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

Symcity
Benefactor

Re: Anyone done any motorcycling in Corsica?

Post by Symcity »

I had my gs1200 in Corsica some years ago - the island is quite mountainous and the roads are varied and challenging - it’s hot in Corsica in the summer so breathable clothing is essential - I crossed from Laverno in Italy to Bastia using Corsica ferries - the fares were extremely affordable I do recall - it is a beautiful island with lots of pretty coastal and mountain villages

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Steve_D
Benefactor

Post by Steve_D »

Still undecided at the moment. I have hotels booked for first and last night on Booking.com and can cancel them for free but the only flights that coincide with my friends arrival is on a Sunday out and Thursday home. Trouble is the Sunday flight arrives at 11.10pm and Thursday home flight is 7.55am. Bit worried about getting from airport and hotel late at night. I’ve emailed both hotels to ask about transfers, no reply. Also emailed bike hire company as they say they will deliver bike locally but again, no answer. Bloody French!

Honda SH300i

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

That's an impressive time scale for little bikes. I must find my username etc for the 90 forum tried to remember it the other day.

Think it was newt salad & can't rember the other guys tag but I bought his sons cub & they delivered it to me (happy memories)

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

that will be James. (aliengravy)
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Steve_D
Benefactor

Post by Steve_D »

Booked! Return flights Air Corsica with 23kg luggage so I can take my helmet, boots, mesh jacket and trousers. Arriving on a Sunday night at 11.10pm. Departing Thursday morning 7.55am. Meeting up with 3 mates who are riding out there. Their ferry arrives at about 8.00 on Monday morning at the other end of the island so we'll all meet up at our hotel at about the same time. I’ve hired a Honda NCX 750. The hire includes helmets and gloves but I’m taking my own as I have Bluetooth comms that link up with my 3 mates. I’m being picked up on Monday morning from my hotel by the bike company and I can keep it until 6.30am on the Thursday and leave it at the airport just before my flight home. £98 for the return flights, €335 for the bike hire. £70 for my Sunday night hotel and £80 for my share of a 4 bed hotel room with my mates for the Mon, Tues and Weds night. Flight and bike hire will be a lot quicker, less stressful and cheaper than riding over a thousand miles each way plus fuel, tolls, stopover hotels, meals, Eurotunnel and Corsica ferry fees! I’m the guinea pig - my mates are thinking of doing the same next year.

Honda SH300i

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Steve_D wrote: Sat Jun 30, 2018 4:52 pm Booked! Return flights Air Corsica with 23kg luggage so I can take my helmet, boots, mesh jacket and trousers. Arriving on a Sunday night at 11.10pm. Departing Thursday morning 7.55am. Meeting up with 3 mates who are riding out there. Their ferry arrives at about 8.00 on Monday morning at the other end of the island so we'll all meet up at our hotel at about the same time. I’ve hired a Honda NCX 750. The hire includes helmets and gloves but I’m taking my own as I have Bluetooth comms that link up with my 3 mates. I’m being picked up on Monday morning from my hotel by the bike company and I can keep it until 6.30am on the Thursday and leave it at the airport just before my flight home. £98 for the return flights, €335 for the bike hire. £70 for my Sunday night hotel and £80 for my share of a 4 bed hotel room with my mates for the Mon, Tues and Weds night. Flight and bike hire will be a lot quicker, less stressful and cheaper than riding over a thousand miles each way plus fuel, tolls, stopover hotels, meals, Eurotunnel and Corsica ferry fees! I’m the guinea pig - my mates are thinking of doing the same next year.
Steve_D
Did I miss an update on how this trip went, was hiring worth it etc etc

Steve_D
Benefactor

Post by Steve_D »

No, no update yet. I’m going on Sunday 2nd September at 7.00pm. Should be arriving at 10.10 pm now as they have brought my flight forward by an hour. My mates who I am meeting are setting off on their bikes on Friday night after work. I’ll be tucked up and in bed after a meal and a few beers on the Sunday night while they are still waiting to board the ferry at midnight. :lol: I’ll do an update and let you know how it went when I come back.

Honda SH300i

Steve_D
Benefactor

Post by Steve_D »

Update: Just got home and I must say all of us agreed that the roads out in Corsica are THE best roads we have ever ridden on. As good as those mountain roads in France/Italy but almost right from the hotel. Almost every road is a good one and you have a good mix of fast sweeping curves to very twisty mountain roads. I liked it personally as it was a fly/ride and you didn't need to spend two days getting there and another two getting back. We were out riding from around 10.00 in the morning until around 6.00 at night and averaged just over 200 miles per day. As I left, my friends were already discussing returning next year and as they didn’t particularly like the ride there, they are talking of sharing the driving and taking their bikes in a van/trailer, and getting there in one day. Between them they had a Triumph Trophy, a Multistrada and a Triumph Tiger. The Tiger owner has just bought a BMW R nine T which he’d like to ride whilst out there and the Trophy rider is going to change his tourer for something else more suited to mountain style twisty roads but they both wouldn’t want to do any touring distance on either of them them, hence the van/trailer idea. I was more than happy doing a fly/ride. I used these people: http://www.corsicamoto.com. They do 4 different size of bikes - 125 and 300 scooters and 750 and 1050 motorcycles and offer a free pickup from Ajaccio airport or local hotels and for an extra €15 they let me keep the bike overnight and use it to get to the airport for my early morning flight. I just parked it up in the bike parking bay and left the keys in a safe place on the bike. The bike also came with a padlock and chain, a very basic tool kit and a tin of puncture repair. They also supply helmets which are included in the hire but I took my own as it was fitted with comms that linked up to my mates. One thing about motor cycle hire in general - you need to leave around a €2K deposit on them in case of theft/damage and unlike hire cars, you cannot get an excess waiver policy to cover that amount - so no being silly on them!

Honda SH300i