WTF??? HOW MUCH???

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Re: WTF??? HOW MUCH???

Post by kayz1 »

MrGrumpy wrote:I've had my baby Burger 200 for 11 months now, and in that time, I've never had the slightest problem with it or needed to spend a single penny on it....BUT....

On Tuesday, the engine FI warning light didn't go out. I continued to work, and when I stopped, I turned the engine off, restarted it, light went out - all back to normal. In the afternoon, no light either. Wednesday - Same routine, but light didn't go out when I got to work, and has remained on ever since. Scooter has became slightly harder to start and now idles at 3500rpm. Take it to my local Suzuki dealer who initially can't find a fault code from the ECU.

However, they ring me up after lunch and say that they are pretty sure that the Engine Idler valve in the throttle bodies (or something) is faulty, but there could also be a problem with the ECU. If its only the valve, it'll cost £420 to fix (part alone is £220+VAT!) and if the ECU is faulty it'll be £700!! Damned thing is only worth £2000! tops!

FORTUNATELY, the dealer who sold me the scoot also included an after market guarantee which has several weeks to run, so they should cover the cost - though I'll have to pay it and reclaim it.

Corr.........

I had the same sort of problem on Big Burger number 2...still under Suzuki warranty at the time..it turned out to be one of the plug leads loose....
All the same faults as your diddy Burger...
Lyn.

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Contact where you bought it first - they may insist on doing the work to honour their guarantee!

Zed
Current Ride: Trek 7300

Post by Zed »

kayz1 wrote:it turned out to be one of the plug leads loose
scorpakid wrote:check the battery level.... this cold snap probably makin the battery power lower than usual
I had problems in the past where the connector inside the high-tension cable got loose, so checking externally it was correctly seated from engine to sparkplug, but engine issues / cutting out due to this.
Also this week it has been pretty cold; took a few starts to fire yesterday (-3 ish), charged it at work all day, started first time this morning.

So might be worth poking about the battery-bits of the scooter?

Mr Angry

Post by Mr Angry »

XMax250Paul wrote:Contact where you bought it first - they may insist on doing the work to honour their guarantee!
They can't

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

XMax250Paul wrote:Contact where you bought it first - they may insist on doing the work to honour their guarantee!
They are welcome to - but as they are 200 miles away, they'll have to come and collect it and deliver it! Since I live miles from them, they specifically sold me / included this general after market warranty, rather than guarantee it themselves as they knew they wouldn't be able to do the work themselves. I don't think there is any snag - the warranty people seem happy enough to pay out, except that I will have to settle the bill (denting the credit card) and claim it back afterwards.

I saw it all in bits today - they've taken all the bodywork off from the windscreen backwards. Looks very odd!!!

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

kayz1 wrote:
I had the same sort of problem on Big Burger number 2...still under Suzuki warranty at the time..it turned out to be one of the plug leads loose....
All the same faults as your diddy Burger...
Lyn.
Now that WOULD be funny! (or at least, I think it would be). It ran utterly fine when going, except for high idle speed. Being only a single, wouldn't a loose plug lead produce more visible symptoms?

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

No miss fires with the big Burger, just Fi lamp on and odd starting issues, tic over up and down but defo not missing..

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

kayz1 wrote:No miss fires with the big Burger, just Fi lamp on and odd starting issues, tic over up and down but defo not missing..
Yes....EXACTLY the same issues, except that Tickover settled down to a consistent 3000 or whatever after a few seconds.