Tmax vs Nexus

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
StevenM
Benefactor

Tmax vs Nexus

Post by StevenM »

Ive been pondering for the last few weeks to get either Funky's nexus or another Tmax. Probally cant afford a mk2 but just a mk1. I did have a lot of problems with my tmax before I sold it, and a Benr said don't get one because he has had a lot of problems with his, and Funky's had problems with his to start with.( http://www.maxi-muppets.co.uk/forum/vie ... php?t=7335 )

What to do?

Earl
Benefactor
Current Ride: Mana 850

Re: Tmax vs Nexus

Post by Earl »

I'd go for the Tmax personally, but a MK3 is the only thing apart from a Honda NC 700S that will get me off my Mana. I had problems with my Nexus, speedo stopped working and just after I sold it it needed a full engine rebuild, and I had it serviced at all the proper intervals upto the end of it's warranty which ran out a month before I sold it.
It Is Better To Be Hated For What You Are, Than To Be loved For What You Are Not.

StevenM
Benefactor

Post by StevenM »

I know what you mean if I could afford the mana or a mk3 I would. At this rate though I might not even sell the Burgman.

gn2

Post by gn2 »

Is the Burgman reliable?
If it is keep it.

johnp
Benefactor
Current Ride: The Wife

Post by johnp »

I loved my Mk1 Nexus, not only is it better looking than the T-max the handling is better but reliability wise it is a dog and would own another because of that. The T-max is much better put together and won't go wrong as much.
Barnfields Plumbing & Property Services

Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Post by Taipan »

I've had 2 mk1 Tmaxes and one mk2 Nexus. Liked them all. I prefer the Tmax overall as in my experience its build quality is much better than the Nexus. It also is a lot better balanced with its central engined layout and I'd say much better handling than the Nexus with more ground clearance. The Nexus needs the height adjuster cranked up or has a frightening tendency to grind out the left hand side. The heavy, side mounted engine/trans makes the Nexus drop to the left but you have to haul it over to the right. Sit behind one and look at the rear view and you'll see what I mean. The Tmax doesn't suffer from this with its centrally mounted engine and is much more flickable despite a weight disadvantage and much longer wheelbase.

The wet multiplate clutch of the Tmax is far superior to the centrifugal clutch of the nexus and the clutch grab around town of the Nexus pissed me off as did the vibey power delivery at start off/low revs. Tmax is silky smooth by comparison especially when you add twin cylinders with a balancer arrangemnt into the mix.

Reliability wise we could all cite cases for and against but I think in an "every owner" survey the Tmax would win this hands down.

MPG wise the Nexus is streets ahead.

So, for me, the Nexus come second in just about every category but it isn't a bad bike. Plus its always best to regret trying something than regret not trying something. The Nexus is still a very capable scoot and should never be dismissed as something not worth owning as you will enjoy it! Just remember to crank the height adjuster up to the max or grind out the left hand side on the first corner! ;)

StevenM
Benefactor

Post by StevenM »

Taipan wrote:I've had 2 mk1 Tmaxes and one mk2 Nexus. Liked them all. I prefer the Tmax overall as in my experience its build quality is much better than the Nexus. It also is a lot better balanced with its central engined layout and I'd say much better handling than the Nexus with more ground clearance. The Nexus needs the height adjuster cranked up or has a frightening tendency to grind out the left hand side. The heavy, side mounted engine/trans makes the Nexus drop to the left but you have to haul it over to the right. Sit behind one and look at the rear view and you'll see what I mean. The Tmax doesn't suffer from this with its centrally mounted engine and is much more flickable despite a weight disadvantage and much longer wheelbase.

The wet multiplate clutch of the Tmax is far superior to the centrifugal clutch of the nexus and the clutch grab around town of the Nexus pissed me off as did the vibey power delivery at start off/low revs. Tmax is silky smooth by comparison especially when you add twin cylinders with a balancer arrangemnt into the mix.

Reliability wise we could all cite cases for and against but I think in an "every owner" survey the Tmax would win this hands down.

MPG wise the Nexus is streets ahead.

So, for me, the Nexus come second in just about every category but it isn't a bad bike. Plus its always best to regret trying something than regret not trying something. The Nexus is still a very capable scoot and should never be dismissed as something not worth owning as you will enjoy it! Just remember to crank the height adjuster up to the max or grind out the left hand side on the first corner! ;)

Thanks for that. I had a MK1 tmax and had loads of problems with it. Never had or riden a Nexus and that's why i'm swaying more towards that.

Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Post by Taipan »

They are quite different animals, what with one being a 460cc single and one a 500cc twin. I'd get a test ride first. TBH, I cant see you not liking a Nexus as it does stomp on and can be chucked about and will reward you with good economy. I loved mine when riding the open roads but hated it in town. As I said, for me, the Tmax is just that bit better at everything other than economy. To put that in context I'm considering another Nexus as my Sport City 250 just doesn't have enough power for me and the Nexus will have and wont drop economy dramatically.