Batteries

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
2up
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K7

Batteries

Post by 2up »

Any experts on the forum?
Had a few hiccups with the Harley in the last couple of weeks because it has hardly been used this year, and it got me thinking about my Burgman.
It's 5 yrs old and the battery won't last forever so I was looking at the options.
1) Wet lead acid battery. Not an option because the Burg battery is on it's side. Also the regulated charge rate is up to 15.5 volts.That will cook a lead acid battery.
2) Gel batteries.
3) Absorbed glass mat batteries (AGM). These seem to be a little step up from a gel battery and just a tad dearer.
4) Li-ion batteries. Latest technology but cost outweighs the advantages. 2 or 3 times the cost of gel batteries.

Any experiences or thoughts anybody?

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Re: Batteries

Post by Waldorf »

Not an expert but I'd replace like for like; if the present one's lasted for 5 years there seems little point in paying more for something supposedly better.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

Suzuki dealers were selling OEM batteries at a discounted price. I think the offer ends some time in February
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

2up

Post by 2up »

Waldorf wrote:Not an expert but I'd replace like for like; if the present one's lasted for 5 years there seems little point in paying more for something supposedly better.
That seems good sound logic.

rtfm
Current Ride: Integra 700

Post by rtfm »

AFAIK Li-Ion batteries are no good in the very cold so may not be such a good option. I'm dubious of their life span too. Think of other laptops/phones with li-ion batteries, they lose their ability to hold a charge fairly quickly.

Personally I'd stick with the oem battery and buy a trickle charger. With your Burgman you'll be able to charge through the fag lighter socket if it's live when the bike is off. This is what I do with the Xevo and it works well.

nexusmaximus
Benefactor
Current Ride: nexus 500-fuoco-burger 650

Post by nexusmaximus »

Fitted this brand to my Nexus and Fuoco... my Burger will be next when required, because it's been brilliant on my Fuoco, and that thing punishes batteries.
Image Image Image

Big Den
Current Ride: SRV850 and 250 Maj

Post by Big Den »

normally only buy Varta/Yuasa but I bought one from Brooksbarnparts (i think) on eblag, apparently Lucas have just started doing bike batteries, so just over £20 cheaper than the cheap ones and hopefully better quality, fitted to my Blade.
Just bikes for me, oh and the odd car

2up

Post by 2up »

Big Den wrote:normally only buy Varta/Yuasa but I bought one from Brooksbarnparts (i think) on eblag, apparently Lucas have just started doing bike batteries, so just over £20 cheaper than the cheap ones and hopefully better quality, fitted to my Blade.
That was one of the reasons for asking actually-Lucas.
The battery on my car died. Ordered off the net as per their catalogue and a Lucas Batt arrived. 4 months later it died and they sent a replacement. That lasted 4 months as well. By this time I was fed up so went to the Ford dealer and bought one. I then had a discussion with the supplier as to whether these Lucas batteries were wet batteries or what 'cos my car has a smart charging system which charges at 14.8 volts- too much for a wet battery. He agreed with me that Lucas shouldn't be listing them for the 'smart' charging systems. He said they had just brought out a new tech battery and he would send one for me as a replacement.
After I passed that car on to my son, the battery died on my replacement car. The new Lucas meantime had been on my shelf 12 months so I fitted that, run the car a while then went in Kwikfit. They tested it and said the battery was fine and at the moment it's still going.
I see my Burgman has a regulated charging capacity of 15.5 volts, hence my question.