Battery cover

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
2up
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K7

Battery cover

Post by 2up »

Battery was flat on the Burg, not been out on it due to the weather!

So I thought I'd put my spare optimate lead on the battery. What an absolute bas**** to get the battery cover off. I'm an old git so contortions don't come easy anyway but I ended up with a big screwdriver forcing the top tabs down while using a specially made wire hook to pull the cover past them arghhhh. I'm sure it could have been thought out better.

halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Re: Battery cover

Post by halfabusa »

I don't know if it's the same as mine but is it located on the front compartment? If so, it's the same as mine and the first thing i thought when i bought the bike was how would i be able to run a cable from the battery out through the door... It doesn't seem to have an opening anywhere so i guess i'd need to take the cover off everytime i wanted to charge, which beats the point of having a permanent cable for the charger to connect to. That is of course without cutting a permanent hole on the battery cover. On the tmax, there was a hole made for running cables already so i was routing it through there and whenever it needed topping up, i just lifted the seat and connected the charger. How did you connect yours now? Is the cover detached while it's charging? Also did you have to leave the front compartment open while the cable was connected up? Another big worry is what if it rains...
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

2up

Post by 2up »

Mines a 400 K7.The battery is in the L/H compartment.
Luckily there's a bit of a pocket under the battery tray which the cumbersome fuseholder on the optimate lead just drops into. On mine there's a rectangular hole at the top centre of the cover which I assume is for poking something in to yank the cover off. With the rubber cover off the optimate plug, it just pushes through that hole.
Mine's garaged so no worries about leaving the glove box open to charge it. Otherwise the lead just hangs loose in the pocket.
I'll see if I can find a pic of the battery cover or take a photo.

This is the same cover as mine-note the hole top centre, under the lip. Optimate plug just fits through

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Suzuki-AN400- ... 4abcc5c398

halfabusa
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC750X DCT

Post by halfabusa »

hmm i didn't notice that before. I never took it off, maybe that's why. If there's a bit of space to pass the cable through, then it should be fine. Still a problem plugging it up under rain though... I wish i had a garage :(
ImageImageImageImage

NC750X DCT
FJR1300
Burgman 400 gone
Tmax 500 Sold
Burgman 650 dead...

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

2up, do you not have a screw on battery retaining plate/cover inside the left glovebox? Mine has, and...not gloating, but it comes off easily and the battery is easy to remove. Must be a bit different on the 2007's. Why did the battery go flat, do you know? Mine went flat a few weeks ago after I idiotically left the parking lights on by mistake. The ignition switch on these B400's allows you to inadvertantly turn off the bike, lock the steering and in doing so, turn on the parking lights without realising it! In bright sunlight, you can't always see the rear lights are on as you walk away. I learned my lesson. Burgmans are heavy to push if you aint got jump leads. :o
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

2up

Post by 2up »

Data wrote:2up, do you not have a screw on battery retaining plate/cover inside the left glovebox? Mine has, and...not gloating, but it comes off easily and the battery is easy to remove. Must be a bit different on the 2007's. Why did the battery go flat, do you know? Mine went flat a few weeks ago after I idiotically left the parking lights on by mistake. The ignition switch on these B400's allows you to inadvertantly turn off the bike, lock the steering and in doing so, turn on the parking lights without realising it! In bright sunlight, you can't always see the rear lights are on as you walk away. I learned my lesson. Burgmans are heavy to push if you aint got jump leads. :o
Yes, noticed the screw and undid that but the cover was stuck on the 2 tabs at the top of the glovebox. I had to force the tabs down with a big screwdriver so I could get the cover over the 'barbs' on the tabs. One of those jobs, once you've done it next time it's easy.
The guy I bought the Burg from last month said that the battery would go down after 3 weeks (without use) due to something to do with the electronic gadgetry on the bike.Didn't quite catch what he was saying due to being partly deaf in one ear :roll:
But yes I know what you mean about key.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: Royal Enfield 350 Meteor

Post by Data »

Sounds like the battery is maybe getting a bit tired. It should go longer than that. The immobiliser does drain the battery, but not much. Suzuki recommend a trickle charge for three hours or so each month if the bike is laid up. The immobiliser flashing light on the dash only displays for 24hrs after you turn off so as not to run the battery down too much. Do you have any extra electonic gadgetry running?
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

2up

Post by 2up »

Nothing else running but the bike is 6 1/2 yrs old now so the battery may well be getting to the end of it's life.