MK3 - Chain

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

MK3 - Chain

Post by Funkycowie »

Whilst I was doing my oil change this morning I though I would check out the chain oil... the chain bath got replaced when I had my accident back in April but I never checked the level then.

So I followed BWT youtube video and double checked it against the manual, the oil level is higher than the specified level actually over double the height and there was a slight dark greaseyness around the upper section of the dipstick

Should I be concerned about this?
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

TmaX9
Current Ride: 04 and 54 X9 500 Evos

Re: MK3 - Chain

Post by TmaX9 »

If you are concerned then drain it all out, refill with some cheap oil, run the engine a bit letting the rear wheel spin, then drain it all again so you've flushed out any water, then finally fill to the correct level with the correct oil. You could use a flushing oil, but anything will do just to clean out any contamination.

Bearing in mind the oil is not pressurised and is simply a sump that the chain partly 'swims' through, too high a level is no going to do any harm, other than create a lot more drag on the chain. If water has got into it (through the breather if it's been pressure washed?) it will get emulsified into the oil once the chain starts spinning around and the oils lubrication will be reduced. No panic but probably as well changed when you can spare the time.

pikey

Post by pikey »

The tmax mk 1 I had was overfilled by previous owner some came out when on side stand thro overflow a bit more when cranked over further in the Alps oil was clean tho

Funkycowie
Admin

Post by Funkycowie »

I never pressure wash myself and I am pretty certain it was never done by the insurance company's mechanics because only the the rear end where the work done was cleanish... the rest was as dirty as when they received it, so much for valeting it.

Will think about flushing it when I get a further chance :D
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Funkycowie
Admin

Post by Funkycowie »

Ok so I finally got around to doing this today after much lazyness...

this is the oil that came out... looks well wrong to me.
upload.jpg
ImageImageImageImage

Funkycowie
Admin

Post by Funkycowie »

Having ridden it today and yesterday before I posted the image, I have to say she's running better now and the noise I thought was from the transmission seems to have gone :D
ImageImageImageImage