DVLA License Confirmation via Doble Motorcycles

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
gn2

Re: DVLA License Confirmation via Doble Motorcycles

Post by gn2 »

I agree.
I have only ever ridden one auto box bike, an NC700X DCT and its not an experience I would care to repeat.
But as far as scooters are concerned the CVT is just perfect.

DougL
Global Moderator
Current Ride: R1200GS

Post by DougL »

gn2 wrote:I agree.
I have only ever ridden one auto box bike, an NC700X DCT and its not an experience I would care to repeat.
But as far as scooters are concerned the CVT is just perfect.
Friend of mine has just bought an NC700S dct and loves it - what did you dislike? Scootering didn't like the Integra or at least that was my understanding.

charles1976
Current Ride: shopping around

Post by charles1976 »

There's no right or wrong here its all personal preference, variety is the spice of life!

gn2

Post by gn2 »

DougL wrote:what did you dislike?
As far as the gearbox operation is concerned I didn't like the jerky gearchanges, I couldn't find a way to prevent it banging down through all the gears when pulling up to a stop.
OK you can choose when to change gears up or down, but for me that is easier achieved (and smoother) by proper clutch and gear levers rather than a set of buttons.
Then there's the complexity of the thing, I wouldn't want to own one out of warranty in case it went tits up, although it could yet prove to be a very reliable system.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

ridinhigh wrote:I can not understand some people making out its a big thing riding a motorbike with gears ,its not complicated at all ,
when riding a geared bike its an
automatic reflex changing gear,,
Well - as I've been driving a manual car for over 30 years, yes, changing gear on that is a reflex action I don't think about. However, there was a learning curve for this to happen on a car, and even more so on a bike. I passed my bike test on a manual bike 10 years ago, but I've rarely ridden a manual since. When I do, its a big deal and something I have to think very carefully about! So certainly not a reflex action. Obviously riding one a lot would certainly make it more of a reflex action, but its not instant.
However, when I had the Burger with its semi-auto transmission, I found I couldn't be arsed to even bother with that, and just stuck it in auto 99.9999% of the time!

DougL
Global Moderator
Current Ride: R1200GS

Post by DougL »

I have zero problems changing gear on a motorbike, though I did take a fully auto test. (Ridden lots of sub 125 geared since then on L plates and bigger bikes on a private road including a Ducati Diavel) What I hate most about them is having the rear brake under my right foot, it's much better at the left hand lever.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

gn2 wrote:
DougL wrote:what did you dislike?
As far as the gearbox operation is concerned I didn't like the jerky gearchanges, I couldn't find a way to prevent it banging down through all the gears when pulling up to a stop.
Thats interesting....I've never heard anyone else finding that an issue. Were the jerks severe, or merely irritating as a lack of smoothness?

ridinhigh
Current Ride: GTS 300

Post by ridinhigh »

DougL wrote:I have zero problems changing gear on a motorbike, though I did take a fully auto test. (Ridden lots of sub 125 geared since then on L plates and bigger bikes on a private road including a Ducati Diavel) What I hate most about them is having the rear brake under my right foot, it's much better at the left hand lever.

Rear brake lever was on the right foot,when i started riding gears on left,

thats onlyb time i was caught out when i first rode a jap bike with gears on left and brake on right,,
and no i would like rear brake on left hand lever,.that were i expect to find the clutch,

gn2

Post by gn2 »

MrGrumpy wrote:Were the jerks severe, or merely irritating as a lack of smoothness?
I found the downshifts to be irritating, they were noticeably jerky and nowhere near as smooth as I would have liked.
The DCT robs you of control, you don't know when the gearchanges are coming and the computer doesn't do the changes when you would want them.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

gn2 wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote:Were the jerks severe, or merely irritating as a lack of smoothness?
I found the downshifts to be irritating, they were noticeably jerky and nowhere near as smooth as I would have liked.
The DCT robs you of control, you don't know when the gearchanges are coming and the computer doesn't do the changes when you would want them.
I did read a mag. article saying something along those lines eg it would change down in the middle of a bend! I guess the bike mags probably use it in semi-auto mode most of the time anyway.
There again....my manual downshifts were never noted for precision or smoothness, so I might not notice the difference!!!!!