Question

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
terryvanman
Benefactor

Question

Post by terryvanman »

I want to go from Earls Court to Hammersmith [kings street] on my 50 cc scooter [max speed 30 mph] Its s beautiful day nice and hot and the traffic is very heavy so a bus is out of the question as it will take for ever.

Main question. What clothing should I wear for the journey ? [including a helmet] Leather jacket and trousers with knee sliders and gloves or a beleno type coat, reinforced jeans and gloves?

Or should I just jump on the scooter with a tee shirt, jeans and trainers?
Dear God,
Please send clothes for all those poor ladies
in Daddy's computer. Amen

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: Question

Post by MrGrumpy »

Well, if you can arrange with a higher power not to have an accident, and have someone arrange for the idiot myopic cagers to be taken off the road, then of course jeans and T-shirt will be fine. However, if you haven't a direct line to God, or aren't master of the universe, something rather more protective might turn out to be worth while.....hitting the tarmac even at 30 still hurts.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

Terry,
You won't be going much faster than a Boris bike, just wear what takes your fancy. You should have lights on, mirrors, indicators and a stop light, which is more than they do.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Steve_D »

Jeans? Trainers? Man up! Shorts and flip-flops in this weather. :P
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

mottza
Admin
Current Ride: 2023 Honda ADV350

Post by mottza »

Terry's shorter so has to fall less further.
2023 Honda ADV350 & 2020 Honda Super Cub 125

terryvanman
Benefactor

Post by terryvanman »

mottza wrote:Terry's shorter so has to fall less further.
OI!......... I resemble that quote :kiss:
Dear God,
Please send clothes for all those poor ladies
in Daddy's computer. Amen

sad vampire
Current Ride: NC750 DCT+Aprilia Atlantic 500

Post by sad vampire »

A difficult choice & one I've seen many a debate over.

As a biker I'd say full leathers, with the hump, massive OTT boots, gloves designed for a 200mph crash, etc.

As a scooter rider I'd say boots (not necessarily bike boots), jeans (not necessarily kevlar), and jacket or long sleeve shirt, but, most importantly, GLOVES. London cars are filthy, you don't want to get your hands dirty when you hit them, you have no idea what you migt catch.

Seriously, perspective, I ride in boots & jeans, but with an strong jacket, gloves & the lid, when i'm just doing a few miles. I know the risks but it's how we used to ride in the 1980s on fast bikes, not just 50cc scooters.

Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

Post by Taipan »

Steve_D wrote:Jeans? Trainers? Man up! Shorts and flip-flops in this weather. :P
Lol, I often ride around town like that on my scoot!. If you want to see careful riding. ban all protective riding gear and only allow swimming trunks to be worn on bikes.

cyco
Current Ride: Old AN400

Post by cyco »

a couple of years ago I was helped off my bike by a person who said "I didn't look" (I made her write it and sign it, with a witness). Well, two years on I'm soon going to have the damaged knee sorted. I tore the left knee out of my trousers, a glove, the left shoulder of my jacket, and scuffed my shoes. The speed? Ooh, about 20... So, did I learn anything? No, not really, but I have reverted to a noisy 'zorst (and filter) and my bike is spattered with reflective yellow and white squares. I fell of a BM at about 60 wearing leathers, and do you think it hurt? Yup, it did and the leathers and gloves were unmarked. The bike and hat looked quite sad. Wear whatever you think is right, and feel whatever happens. It still beats driving.