Last laugh

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
spaceprobe
Benefactor
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i ABS

Last laugh

Post by spaceprobe »

As those of you will know who have read my posts, that having got to a certain age |I decided to get rid of my bike and go for a maxi scooter. One of my friends as also got rid of his bike only in his case not for a scooter but a Porsche 911. Berating me about getting a moped he announced he was going to come and see me to show off his new toy. I was late getting home and was on the dual carriageway when he came up behind me and then shot passed leaving me in his wake. Sadly for him his burst on the throttle only placed him on the end of a large traffic jam . Whilst I went into the bus lane (we can use them in Brighton) and was home with the coffee ready by the time he pulled into my drive. Hare and tortoise me thinks. :lol:
Maximum respect

johnp
Benefactor
Current Ride: The Wife

Re: Last laugh

Post by johnp »

I used to love to do that.
Barnfields Plumbing & Property Services

gn2

Post by gn2 »

If I'm starting work at normal office hours on my commute into town vehicles come tearing past me on the dual carriageway then closer to town I filter up the middle of huge queues of them.
Its as if they enjoy queuing in traffic so much they can't wait to get to the jams.

StephenC
Benefactor
Current Ride: Kymco DT X360

Post by StephenC »

It's beyond counting how many times someone has overtaken me only to join the back of a queue which was already in view when they made the move. I re-pass them with a slow shake of the head before continuing to overtake or filter past the next couple of hundred near-stationary vehicles. I also quite like overtaking a line of traffic, pulling into a petrol station for a refill and then passing them again a few minutes later!

One of the joys of having the right tool for the job, instead of being a tool.
Expert in Close Quarters Combat Filtering
Can is not the same as Should

PD110961
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Post by PD110961 »

I commute 11 miles each way from the village where i live into the outskirts of Nottingham. Sometimes in the car, sometimes on the Burgman or Bonneville t100.

on a nice weather day, with normal riding gear the extra time takes getting bike ready dressed still puts me about 5 minutes maximum better off on two wheels.

if its pissing it down, the extra layers etc reduce the time advantage. The main advantage is fuel economy. 110 miles on the bike compared to same in the car saves me about £6.00 a week.

if the burgman was bought JUST to save the fuel money it would take 166 weeks just based on the purchase price to break even. never mind the higher expense of maintaining 2 wheels compared to a 2005 Focus.

Things change when its winter. Having commuted for 4 years every day a few years ago, its damn dangerous in the ice n snow on two wheels. the car has the heater, radio and a big steel shell to absorb the bumps.

So.. i guess i commute on two wheels when ever it suits simply because i ENJOY it! :-)

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

PD110961 wrote:I commute 11 miles each way from the village where i live into the outskirts of Nottingham. Sometimes in the car, sometimes on the Burgman or Bonneville t100.

on a nice weather day, with normal riding gear the extra time takes getting bike ready dressed still puts me about 5 minutes maximum better off on two wheels.

if its pissing it down, the extra layers etc reduce the time advantage. The main advantage is fuel economy. 110 miles on the bike compared to same in the car saves me about £6.00 a week.

if the burgman was bought JUST to save the fuel money it would take 166 weeks just based on the purchase price to break even. never mind the higher expense of maintaining 2 wheels compared to a 2005 Focus.

Things change when its winter. Having commuted for 4 years every day a few years ago, its damn dangerous in the ice n snow on two wheels. the car has the heater, radio and a big steel shell to absorb the bumps.

So.. i guess i commute on two wheels when ever it suits simply because i ENJOY it! :-)
That'll be the reason then! :)

Though being fair if saving money was the only focus you'd have a 125 and save even more on fuel and running costs.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

PD110961
Current Ride: Burgman 400

Post by PD110961 »

re MPG.. the honda foresight 250 managed 84mpg a few times.. i'm estimating the burger 400 about 75.

I also wanted the burger 400 as me and a few mates do 4 big bike rallies a year..one of us has had a burger 400 for a while and went on that to save getting his new triumph ditched on one wet rally weekend and he arrived almost dry, whilst were were soaked. we were cruising at about 80 on the open stretches, he had no problems. the 250 honda was best at 65mph. also.. the honda had crap pilloin pegs, the burger has great ones and the mrs enjoys the change from the Bonnie.

I agree though.. if i wanted pure economy, a 125 4 stroke scoot would be the way.