Fitting a top box

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
ba249k
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman AN 400 ZA

Fitting a top box

Post by ba249k »

Hi All
I have just picked up my 2012 Burgman AN 400 ZA today.
Drove it back home on a thirty mile detour, I am now hooked!
After a few hours looking around it and playing with all the switches etc.
I have thought I would like to fit a top box.
I don't want to lay out hundreds for the Givi option, ( I know they are the best ) but funds don't allow.
I have seen what looks like a resonable one on e-bay called Takecover it 51L and comes with fitting plate.
Has anyone seen these or better still fitted one to a 400?
If possible I'd like to fit it with out removing the passenger back rest.
Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers
Barry.

Hanzo1974
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda VRF1200FD

Re: Fitting a top box

Post by Hanzo1974 »

Not too sure about the 400, i fitted one to my 650 and had to remove the backrest, i found you tube very helpfull, as a few people had posted step by step instructions to fit it.

Chris

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Re: Fitting a top box

Post by Bluebottle »

It might be useful to know that you can take the panel off the rear of the backrest and it exposes some bracketry that might be useful for a fabricated mount. The official way requires removal of the backrest and its trim panel and a standard panel fitted.

I've got a ZA and got the dealer to throw in a panel so that I could take off the backrest and fit a top-box.

However, I found the storage was so big that I never fitted a box in the end. I just had 12 bottles of wine and some raingear and change of clothes under the seat no problem :)

For the rare occasions that I need even more I carry bungies/cargo net and have a soft case that is a snug fit between rider and pax backrests. Good for weight distribution/aerodynamics etc but less secure if I leave the bike.
I considered panniers too but there hasn't been a time when I needed them

Obviously I don't know what your needs are (camping, 2 up etc) but I'm glad I didn't get a box.
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1