Same old question one year on.

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
macamxthe1st
Current Ride: 2019 Burgman 400

Same old question one year on.

Post by macamxthe1st »

Held off buying a new Burgman 400 last year in anticipation of a new model for 2014. Well as we are aware that has not happened probably due somewhat to the focus on the new VSrom 1000. Following years of serial bike changing I want to keep the Burgman for a minimum of three years hence the retisen to buy. Has anyone got the inside track on timescales. Shurley it must be imminent as the current model is some seven years old now.

Geoff.

gn2

Re: Same old question one year on.

Post by gn2 »

If you buy one now and look after it, in ten years it will still be as good as it is now.
A new model doesn't make the current one worse.
In some cases newer models are worse than the one they replace.

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

Further to the above.
I had a test ride on a new V-Strom 1000 the day after Boxing Day. Apparently this bike has been 3 years in the making. I could not fault the ride at all it was agile, the brakes and suspension were perfect, as was the comfort and ergonomics. It had plenty of power for fun and no doubt would be good for everyday use.
However the bike will be priced in the region of £10000 on launch when it looks more like a £8500 bike which I think will be the going rate for it after about a year or so maybe even with accessories fitted. So I'm in no rush.
The current Burgman is a good scooter all round, I had a demo on one at the end of our Summer and I think there is something to be gained by buying the current model as there are good deals to be had, there doesn't seem to be news of a new model any time soon so I think if I wanted to change now, now is the time to go for it.
icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

macamxthe1st

Post by macamxthe1st »

gn2 wrote:If you buy one now and look after it, in ten years it will still be as good as it is now.
A new model doesn't make the current one worse.
In some cases newer models are worse than the one they replace.
Very good point. Honda are a good example with a couple of their models. My concern is however my ZALO had the dreaded "clutch grab" and try as they might they could not fix it. If I were convinced it was now not an issue I would buy a new ZA in a heartbeat.

Geoff.

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

Thought they'd redesigned the clutch bell some while back to cure this. I'm aware that dust can create a similar slip issue, but this isn't the same issue and more a factor of how you "baby" the throttle, sure Data has posted in some detail on this subject.

For me I'd be more interested in one of the last of a long run of proven bike, than the first year of a redesign, both from mechanical and usually also a financial viewpoint.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

macamxthe1st

Post by macamxthe1st »

For me I'd be more interested in one of the last of a long run of proven bike, than the first year of a redesign, both from mechanical and usually also a financial viewpoint.[/quote]

You make an excellent point.

Geoff.

ba249k
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman AN 400 ZA

Post by ba249k »

I have a ZA L2 with 5K on it and the clutch/drive is nice and smooth I just clean and blow out at the service and try not to be too gentle with it away from lights etc.
Data has posted something on this and so far no problems with my bike following his advice.
I concure with the previous posts I'd rather have the last of a proven bike which probably will be well discounted rather than the first of a un-known quanity at brand new prices!
But it's your shout and you have to live with your own decision.
Hope you make the right one!
:roll: