Brake pad retaining pins

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
stuart brown
Current Ride: Burgman 650 Executive

Brake pad retaining pins

Post by stuart brown »

Removed the front brake calipers last weekend as the pads were dragging on the disc, making it hard to move around the garage.
The bike is not a year old, (2013 Burger 650), but the pad retaining pins have lost their shiny coating and the surface of the steel pin is showing some wear leading to the reluctance of the pads to move back from the brake disc.
Has anyone found a supply of stainless steel pins / done the conversion / have any suggestions?
Stu Brown
Matlock

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Re: Brake pad retaining pins

Post by poldark »

Had to replace worn pins before and there's a couple of good EBay sellers, though not sure they'd be an upgrade for you.

What I would say is the pins only hold the pads in alignment and any reluctance for pads to retract is ordinarily down to the pistons and seals, what state were they in?
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

poldark wrote:Had to replace worn pins before and there's a couple of good EBay sellers, though not sure they'd be an upgrade for you.

What I would say is the pins only hold the pads in alignment and any reluctance for pads to retract is ordinarily down to the pistons and seals, what state were they in?
this is what i tend to do, and works fine for me, take out pins, wire brush them then give them a slight smear with bearing grease (as this is thick and wont budge) then they wont rust up as easy
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Thats exactly what I do michael.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

stuart brown
Current Ride: Burgman 650 Executive

Post by stuart brown »

Thanks for your thoughts on this.
I wire brushed the surface of the pins, smoothed off the ridges with a fine emery and applied a very light coating of ACF 50 to the pin / pad contact area.
Seems to have done the trick so far.

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Post by poldark »

Good stuff, although the ACF will certainly stop any corrosion it's not especially lubricating, a smear of lithium grease is probably a better bet.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

With movement the ACF won't last long grease is better.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...