Grazie Vespa, konichiwa Yamaha

Make your first post here or feel the wrath of the Muppets.
kiwi_mark

Grazie Vespa, konichiwa Yamaha

Post by kiwi_mark »

G'day all,

I have reluctantly sold my fantastic, dragon red 2006 GTS250ie Vespa in order to get on to something with bigger wheels and better legs for out-of-town (and London crater-of-the-moon) riding.

This Saturday I'm jumping a train down to Yeovil to pick up a 2010 XMAX 250, which I'm very much looking forward to riding back to London the long, slow, scenic way.

I'll be using it for day to day urban riding and also hope to take my girlfriend out on it for weekends away.

Unfortunately I was gazumped on an XMAX 400 that I was poised to buy, but there's so much positive owner feedback about the 250 I decided to stick with the type and see how I get on with the smaller engine for now.

I know very little about the XMAX bikes, so if you've got recommendations for resources/reading, top-tips and survival stories, I will gladly slurp up all this intel ahead of Saturday. She's getting her first service (other than the very early run in service) ahead of Saturday as it's a very low mileage bike.

Feels like a bit of a coup of a purchase, I have to say, so fingers crossed.

Safe trails all,

Mark

poldark
Current Ride: X9 250Evo+B650[F]+NC750X [GB]

Re: Grazie Vespa, konichiwa Yamaha

Post by poldark »

Best of luck, take it you'll be on the A303 most of the way home.

In your excitement to get on it and ride off, be sure to check the tyre pressures as some garages can be pretty lax often way over-inflating. And although I'm just an old (experienced?) cynic, as they know you're back off to London make sure everything looks sound as they know there's little chance of you coming back to complain.
Honda NC750X DCT (2017)

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

SOUND ADVISE, have a little run round there first and get the scoot up to temp :D
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Not bad little ride to get used to it, I bought my TMax from Kayz on this forum and rode it all the way back to Essex from North Wales :D

As everyone has said make sure its road worthy :D
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

VOZZA
Benefactor
Current Ride: Forza 125

Post by VOZZA »

Good advice to have a little run around Yeovil before heading home to check all is OK.
Trust your Tmax in custom white/blue flip was OK on the way home Funky? knowing how fastidious Lyn is.
icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
Pete

Vespa GTS300 Super for practical runabout, Triumph Tiger Explorer for conquering the planet. Car almost obsolete.

Bluebottle
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 ZA L0

Post by Bluebottle »

Welcome
WE ARE THE BURG resistance is futile
The Ugly Bunch-1

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

VOZZA wrote:Good advice to have a little run around Yeovil before heading home to check all is OK.
Trust your Tmax in custom white/blue flip was OK on the way home Funky? knowing how fastidious Lyn is.
icon_wink-.gif Wales.gif
No hiccups at all :D
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

kiwi_mark

Post by kiwi_mark »

Many thanks for the welcome, Burg-burgers!

I found myself drooling over a nice TMAX today in a Holborn [it's a place in central Mordor] parking bay. Who knows...I may move this one on sooner rather than later if a big sibling with a chunky engine comes calling. It'd be nice to be able to gun it to the continent (or indeed North Wales) without feeling like she's asthmatic....as I'm guessing the 250's may feel when travelling at warp factor M4.

Happy trails people, I shall report back when I have the paperwork in hand and the tyres nice and warm. Finger's crossed for good weather on Saturday (sure it's Somerset....why would it ever be....er.....hang on.....does it include free roadside floatation assistance?)

Adios amigos

johnp
Benefactor
Current Ride: The Wife

Post by johnp »

Hi and welcome aboard.
Barnfields Plumbing & Property Services