Modern bikes !

Chat about any motorbike here.
kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Modern bikes !

Post by kayz1 »

Last week my local KTM/Honda dealer asked me if i would have a look at a 990 swing arm, so they drop it off and i take a look. The Teq went to adjust the axle/chain and the axle adjuster bolt ( stainless into Ali swing arm ) the head broke off. So now we have a 65mm long stud into the Ali arm and no way to get a stud extractor onto it as the adjuster block is in the way.. :idea: weld a long nut to the stud and try to unscrew it with a long socket, after lots of heat ( hot air gun ) and WD40 plus oil left upside down over night, it came out. :lol: well guess what arrived today! another two :lol: :lol: all these bikes are JUST out of warranty..Don't forget to pull the adjusters each year and lube them...told him to get a spare from a breaker to have in stock. The last one is going to cost them as i had to drill the stud out, two Cobalt drill bits cost £14 then i had to make a Lonnng drill bit so as not to hit the adjuster block with the drill chuck....got to be lots of brownie points in this. :lol: vors sprung dork :lol:
Lyn.

Hughie
Phils Gimp
Current Ride: No scoot at the moment

Re: Modern bikes !

Post by Hughie »

Good advice about removing and lubing. YZF-R125's can be very prone to this. Never failed to get one out yet with the use of a hot gun and some 'black magic' Link

It's often overlooked but a few minutes spent removing and lubing can save hours later.

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

If your shelling out the full Jap price for a bike, you need to know where they are made, IMHO.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

Had similar on an FZR400 chain adjuster bolt in a swing arm, although seemed to have an insert in the alluminium...
I always remove the bolt and coppa slip em before putting em back...

kayz1
Benefactor

Post by kayz1 »

Hughie wrote:Good advice about removing and lubing. YZF-R125's can be very prone to this. Never failed to get one out yet with the use of a hot gun and some 'black magic' Link

It's often overlooked but a few minutes spent removing and lubing can save hours later.

do you have to buy that Black Magic in bulk Hughie? no prices on the site and say they will give you a quote.
Does it work as they say?
Lyn.

Hughie
Phils Gimp
Current Ride: No scoot at the moment

Post by Hughie »

We buy it from a company called FÖRCH.We can buy individual cans of it as far as I know. Even the Wurth rep says it's good and that they have nothing like it.

I never use anything else for seized bolts etc. Maybe you can see if you have a local rep in your area that will let you buy 1 can to try before you place an order.

They also sell the only product I have seen that can actually deal with really manky old fuel deposits in carbs,it's called 'system engine cleaner'. I don't breathe it in if I can help it or get it on my hands but great stuff.The only 2 products we buy from them,the rest comes from Wurth.

kayz1
Benefactor

Post by kayz1 »

Hughie wrote:We buy it from a company called FÖRCH.We can buy individual cans of it as far as I know. Even the Wurth rep says it's good and that they have nothing like it.

I never use anything else for seized bolts etc. Maybe you can see if you have a local rep in your area that will let you buy 1 can to try before you place an order.

They also sell the only product I have seen that can actually deal with really manky old fuel deposits in carbs,it's called 'system engine cleaner'. I don't breathe it in if I can help it or get it on my hands but great stuff.The only 2 products we buy from them,the rest comes from Wurth.

thanks again Hughie, the lad has a garage so i will get him to check out the availability.
Lyn.