Ran out of fuel!

For members who own little scooters.
Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Ran out of fuel!

Post by Drago »

Like the title says I ran out of fuel today, but don't think I should have!

Luckily I ran out going down a hill just a few hundred metres from the petrol station so I managed to roll
in most of the way, only having to push up a little hill into the station. Thing is though, my Daelim S1 125
has a 9.6L tank according to the manual, most online sources say 9.5L. But anyway I filled to the brim to
find I could only get 8.85L in?! I always fill up to the top and give a little shake to get rid of any air pockets.
So how on earth could I run out if I still should have 750ml left?

The fuel tank is located down under the floorboard, so the only logical reason I can think of is whilst going down the hill, which wasn't massively steep the fuel must of moved to the front of the tank and so none reached the fuel pump or something? Either that or Daelim are fibbing about the tank size!
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Re: Ran out of fuel!

Post by SH125Paul »

Prolly not... the tank capacity may well be 9.5 lt.... but that's not to say you can get it all back out!
This is often the case...
you may well also be right about riding on an incline...
tank designs should filter down like a funnel - so you can get it all out, but you then also run the risk of getting any debris and nasties in to the carb or injector...
I am having a similar quandry with the SH125 - says 7.5 lt tank.... well into the red and I top up 5.5 lts... plus it says only to fill to the cross plate / bottom of the filler neck not to brim it...
at least you have a strong idea on range and how far you can run... worth noting where the gauge was pointing...

Superscoot
Current Ride: Daelim S3 250 and Zontes 125

Post by Superscoot »

I have the 250cc version with a 12.7 liter fuel tank (allegedly)

On the first long run on the scoot (150 miles) I started panicking when the single fuel bar started flashing - no fuel stations in range

Fuel bar started flashing 2 bars again when I hit level ground

When I filled up with fuel, turns out I had loads of fuel left - the reserve is very generous - I could have completed my journey OK without stopping - but I try and avoid emptying the tank - don't want to clog the fuel filter with sediment from the bottom of the tank

750ml of fuel isn't very much - especially when its sloshing around in the tank
Screw the EU

I have no problem with authority, I just don't like being told what to do
... anarchist joke

Superscoot

Post by Superscoot »

XMax400Paul wrote: at least you have a strong idea on range and how far you can run... worth noting where the gauge was pointing...

Daelim S3 Advance scoots have a digital fuel display

On my 250cc version the fuel bars rapidly go down when you get to 3 bars - 3 bars to 2 bars is quite rapid - 2 bars to flashing 1 bar also damn quick and panic inducing - until you realize you actually have a lot of fuel left in the tank - and the gauge is just reminding you to think about re-fueling
Screw the EU

... anarchist joke

Drago
Benefactor
Current Ride: SYM Mask 125

Post by Drago »

Yeah the reserve is very generous. The Daelim S1 also has a digital fuel gauge. 7 bars that tend to
drop at the same distance. I always reset my tripometer every time I fill up to record the distance
travelled on a tank full. The last bar flashes at around 240-250km(150/155miles) leaving 2.3L or so in
the tank. I normally fill up by 280km just to be safe but this time I gambled to see if I could pass 300km,
being aware that I didn't want to run out completely due to the debris in the tank. When a bar drops for
a few miles it'll flick on off. Coming on up a hill and dropping going down hill. So hopefully it was just the
downwards incline that made the engine run out of fuel. Half a mile before the downwards incline I'd gone
up a steeper upwards hill. The scoot didn't splutter/struggle once.
Current rides

SYM Joymax Z+ 300 2022+
SYM Mask 125 2019-

Superscoot

Post by Superscoot »

Drago wrote:The last bar flashes at around 240-250km(150/155miles) leaving 2.3L or so in
the tank..

I recon my S3 250 had 3.5 to 4 liters left in the tank when it was flashing 1 bar - was very surprised it wouldn't take more fuel when I did fill it up
Screw the EU

... anarchist joke

Superscoot

Post by Superscoot »

Just noticed that there are no 250cc scooters on Daelim's website now - only 250cc motorcycles
Screw the EU

... anarchist joke

michaelphillips
Benefactor
Current Ride: Daelim S250 Advance

Post by michaelphillips »

With the new law where lights come on with ignition there are either bargains to be had or thinning of stock. Not sure when they have to pre reg. Their stock as seem to remember thers a cut off date for switched lights on new machines
I cant seem to remember.. I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way.

Superscoot

Post by Superscoot »

michaelphillips wrote:With the new law where lights come on with ignition there are either bargains to be had or thinning of stock. Not sure when they have to pre reg. Their stock as seem to remember thers a cut off date for switched lights on new machines

Daelim S3 250cc has the always on headlight

However, it has linked brakes rather than ABS - maybe there's an ABS version coming out? - more likely MotoGB did such a shit job promoting the model, they don't want to import any more
Screw the EU

... anarchist joke