New restrictions for travelling in (bits of) France.

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

New restrictions for travelling in (bits of) France.

Post by Globs »

Just discovered this, didn't know about it until now.
Deadline is 31st March 2017, i.e. Next Week.
France wrote: Which vehicles is it for?

It is for every road vehicle, including two- or three-wheeled vehicles, quadricycles, private vehicles, commercial vehicles, heavy goods vehicles, buses and coaches.
https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en/

http://www.rac.co.uk/drive/news/motorin ... ch-cities/

Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Re: New restrictions for travelling in Paris, Lyon and Grenoble.

Post by Steve_D »

If you read it properly, this topic should be correctly titled to read: New restrictions for travelling in Paris, Lyon and Grenoble because that's the only cities it applies to.
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

Z750Jay
Current Ride: Vstrom 1000

Re: New restrictions for travelling in France.

Post by Z750Jay »

I suspect it will be loosely inforced like the 'got to carry hi viz and a breath test kit one is. Do not ride like a plonker, be respectful to the plod and all you might get is a 'next time, get one warning' if you are stopped at all. I go to France most years and have yet to be stopped by the plod and the only person I know who has and fallen foul to them rides like an idiot ( you know the type, 4 am on a Sunday morning at a rally bouncing the revs off the limiter, )

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

SkuTorr
Benefactor
Current Ride: Tmax Mk3

Re: New restrictions for travelling in (bits of) France.

Post by SkuTorr »

Meldrew wrote:Wearing gloves while riding a motorcycle/scooter in France was also made compulsory from 1st March 2017 too. Since anyone with a modicum of common sense will wear gloves anyway, it's hardly a problem complying.
Over here that would be the "Nanny State" restricting our Freedom...to be IDIOTS... :roll:
2009 Tmax with OODLES of upgrades!
2009 Majesty 400 (sold)
2007 Aprilia Mojito 150 (sold)

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

SkuTorr wrote: Over here that would be the "Nanny State" restricting our Freedom...to be IDIOTS... :roll:
Lol, I get enough grief from ATGATT lot for not riding in 'proper' bike gear as it is. Most of the time I ride in cycle mitts, jeans/cargo pants, combat boots and a cloth jacket with all the armour removed unless it is really warm then it is sans jacket.
I get the 'what if you come off?' and I have to point out it is best to avoid that and if they rode all year round rather than 30 miles on the odd sunny Sunday maybe they would gain the required skills that just be a car driver riding a bike

andyscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: gilera runner vxr200

Post by andyscooter »

Z750Jay wrote:
SkuTorr wrote: Over here that would be the "Nanny State" restricting our Freedom...to be IDIOTS... :roll:
Lol, I get enough grief from ATGATT lot for not riding in 'proper' bike gear as it is. Most of the time I ride in cycle mitts, jeans/cargo pants, combat boots and a cloth jacket with all the armour removed unless it is really warm then it is sans jacket.
I get the 'what if you come off?' and I have to point out it is best to avoid that and if they rode all year round rather than 30 miles on the odd sunny Sunday maybe they would gain the required skills that just be a car driver riding a bike

I don't wear atgatt but its a risk I take and have hurt myself in the process

doesn't matter how good a rider you are if a car pulls into the side of you it hurts

helmet decent boots and gloves are a must

I wear an old army jacket that was with me when I got knocked off and survived but I should wear my proper one
i was an atheist until i realised i am god
Remember its a speed limit not a target

gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)

Z750Jay

Post by Z750Jay »

[/quote]

I don't wear atgatt but its a risk I take and have hurt myself in the process

doesn't matter how good a rider you are if a car pulls into the side of you [/quote]

I agree it is a risk but my choice my pain.
About 15 years ago I was a local MAG rep and got hold of the 2" thick government white paper detailing the Powered Two Wheelers, the ownership demographics, accident rates and details etc. It made for an enlightening if boring read.
If you do a statistical analysis of it all you find that your accident rate and severity are dependant on the number of annual miles you ride or the regularity of riding. A daily rider or those riding over 6000 have a vastly smaller risk of a serious accident. Yes they will have a higher chance of an accident happening per year as they cover more mikes but if they do it is liable to be a low sun 15-20mph crash.
The scary bracket which unfortunately makes up 80% of the over 125'cc group is those who do less than 2,500 miles . These are the ones mostly having killed or seriously injured accidents. In a built up area it was normally due to 'sorry mate did not see you' type accidents while on country lanes it is mostly the rider going too fast.

Another statistic buried in the paper was what injury was caused by what type of accident. Getting T boned = helmet strap done up and ankle protection helped but nothing else. Falling off at beyond 60mph was interesting. If the rider just slid and did not hit anything then yes full gear let them get away with it. But if the rider hit something solid the injuries that killed or severely injured riders would have occurred regardless of kit worn - basically hitting a tree, road sign, wall etc is not going to be nice wether you are in T shirt, shorts and flip flops or a full race leathers, you are just going to make less of a mess in all the gear!

Obviously with most 'riders' out there being in the sub 2,500 miles annually bracket it is not publicised and obviously the equipment manufacturers want sales. One of the papers I read on a analysis of the white paper was that most of the people in the high risk group drove cars daily and kept thinking as a car driver on the bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

All The Gear can work against you if you pass out from heatstroke.

Riding in France and Spain in the 2015 heatwave it was definitely a case of staying conscious FIRST, gear then came a distant second.