More troubles

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Scootypuff snr

Re: More troubles

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Options are
PX and don't be honest I'm sure most people wouldn't think twice about the deceit. (& a grands a grand)

Piaggio/Bev forum or eBay as a spare repair project expect £350/500!

Advertise for a swap engine (I don't know any personally but have heard folk mention it though mainly cars)

Offer it to a local college engineering course (see if they'll return the scoot after strip & rebuilding you pay for parts?)

Any geniuses on here willing to help (Lyn springs to mind and is a good egg having helped folk on other forums as well as here) sorry Lyn not offering your services for free but I know your generous nature from the past.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yes...worth considering. The other option is that even though a repair would be hideously expensive, it is likely to be somewhat less than buying a replacement scoot! There again, I've already been on biketrader, and someone not too far away has a Kawa J300 for £3k.....

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

If you can find where the leak is without an engine strip, using something like JB Weld or putty would do it providing it was dried and cleaned back to good metal.
I've seen pictures of engine crankcases etc. repaired with the stuff and from my experience of it if the repair was done as described it would be permanent. Not exactly an elegant engineering solution but it could help you get a few more years out of the scooter at very little expense. Just a thought.

jamie
Benefactor
Current Ride: sport city 300 .. gtr 1400

Post by jamie »

got told the same thing on mine so i stripped it my self just to satisfy my own curiosity
any way a £8.00 base gasket later job done
but its a biggish job and wouldnt liked to have paid an hourly rate for it

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

jamie wrote:
but its a biggish job and wouldnt liked to have paid an hourly rate for it
That's the snag - I think a cylinder barrel assembly is 'only' £100, but it requires stripping the entire engine which must take some time....

andyscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: gilera runner vxr200

Post by andyscooter »

trade it in

dealer has to deal with the problem

fuck em they would do it to you
i was an atheist until i realised i am god
Remember its a speed limit not a target

gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

I'm too honest for that! I guess it underlines the thought that every secondhand bike / car / scoot is for sale for a reason...
I'm trying to get a price for a repair to see.........even an outrageous repair price might be cheaper than buying a new one. I'm away 'darn sarf' this week, so I'll make a decision when I get back.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

cheap repair then part-ex??? clear conscience. ;)
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

andyscooter wrote:fuck em they would do it to you
While I can see the attraction of this plan, can you not see that you're not doing 'it' to the dealer? They will simply sell it on to the next poor mug to walk into the showroom.

Globs
Current Ride: Piaggio X10 350

Post by Globs »

I'd see if I could find the actual leak first TBH.

If it's streaming out of the lower cylinder gasket you should be able to see it (at least when warm and under pressure, perhaps you'll just need to loosen the cylinder bolts and pop some gasket cardboard and instant gasket into the actual leak zone, tighten it all back down again and the problem is solved.
You may even find a good clean of the _actual leak point_ and a bit of instant gasket + gasket card may do it anyway, there's not a huge amount of pressure in the cooling system.

The workshop manual is free online for the X10 350 with the same engine.

I did a similar thing to replace a pushrod cover on a VW aircooled engine once, just loosened the cylinder away, popped in the new cover and tightened it back up again: much easier than taking it off.