'RE Himalayan

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Scootypuff snr

'RE Himalayan

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Visited Bowen moto in Kent today to get a number plate for my mate & look at a 2nd hand RV125 for me.

Anyhow they had a new 'RE Himalayan in stock £4199 OTR. Certainly looked the part but can't work out how a new model (informed with a 410cc engine) can retail for £500/1000 less than existing 500cc models.
Looked for areas of penny pinching though nothing obvious (other maybe exhaust) and I tbought the digital compass was a gimmick but then thought in the home market where sat nav a luxury maybe useful (though my X-ADV has date which is pointless so match point there)

Retails grand less without luggage tgan the Versy 300X (which had a better look to the finish IMO)

However the 'RE had some nice mount points which will lend to future luggage and home farkles.

A guy there (said was an instructor) was buying one to replace his pan Eeuropean & dullsville. I mentioned the quality control issues stated on Indian forums but that got glossed over!

I think (if it's reliable) 'RE could be into a winner if price kept the same is certainly like a test ride

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Re: 'RE Himalayan

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I have to admit I like the look and basic functionality of the Himalayan. Simple to maintain and repair is good in my book. No rider modes or keyless ignition is also a plus point when you're doing your own repairs and servicing. I think the digital compass is also a good idea as it can't lead you into industrial estates or rivers, and you can tell if you're going the wrong way around the M25 :? ..
The only thing which would put me off would be some of the horror stories I've heard about Indian quality control, but since parts are said to be cheap it may not be too much of an issue. Yes it could be one for the future. :)

andyscooter
Benefactor
Current Ride: gilera runner vxr200

Post by andyscooter »

as long as moto gb have nothing to do with it, it should be fine

wait

wasn't this the one they had a promo video that had bits falling off over a slight bump
i was an atheist until i realised i am god
Remember its a speed limit not a target

gilera runner vxr200 (chavped)

The Bern
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silverwing 600

Post by The Bern »

410cc why not 400cc ? those extra 10cc will take it from the £41 into the £62 road tax group
Have wheels, will travel :D

marval
Current Ride: Aprilia sr gt

Post by marval »

Knocked up in a shed Mr Meldrew? The design team was led by no other than Pierre Terblanche! However he did leave Royal Enfield, for unknown reasons in 2016. I'm guessing fired for being pissed on the job!

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

Only time will tell regards reliability, construction quality etc.
If it doesn't fit in with any trends that's a plus point in my view. :D

marval
Current Ride: Aprilia sr gt

Post by marval »

On the design front, which best on an adventure bike, a beak and a front mudguard or like the Himalayan 1.5 front mudguards?

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

It's every bit as handsome and well-proportioned as anything produced by the 1970s Ukranian bike industry.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

I like it, basic, simple design, and different. I've also been watching it for a while, lets hope R/E have sorted the teething issues with it before it hit UK workshops, otherwise warranty work will cost them dearly.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Generally you get what you pay for in life - if you buy a cheap as chips motorcycle then you mostly get cheap as chips quality