I’m thinking of buying a Honda C59/70/90/Cub/Super Cub

Chat about any motorbike here.
Steve_D
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

I’m thinking of buying a Honda C59/70/90/Cub/Super Cub

Post by Steve_D »

As above, I’m thinking of buying one for occasional use in good weather, a bit of fun and something I could hopefully get a fair chunk of my money back if I sold it in 5 years time. Could possibly stretch to £1,500 ish. Any advice on the best models? I’d prefer one with round headlights. Anything to watch out for? I might be going senile but I can’t remember seeing any of those single seat JDM Super Cubs on the road. Any advice would be welcome.
Paddle harder. I can hear banjo music!

Honda SH300i

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Re: I’m thinking of buying a Honda C59/70/90/Cub/Super Cub

Post by Ralph »

Engines more or less bulletproof clutch can give problems but not often,
they rot were the rear shocks bolt to the frame have a good look round
the mounts and under the mudguard, they are bringing silly money these days,
check the chain it is enclosed so if it's been oiled it will be fine but if not
it can be buggered.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

I've got a Yamaha Townmate T80, and very impressed with it. Taking a bit of time to preserve it, the shaft drive is a design masterpiece, it also has 4 gears, Yamaha must have tried to improve the basic design.
I've had a few C90's over the years, they are good fun to ride, also consider an Innova or Wave.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

I rebuilt a 3000 miler C70 last back end, the full monty. No real rust on it but it had sat in a garage for 30 years so stripped and blasted, new wheels etc. When i got it out to do up i put some petrol in it, pipes leaked :lol: so changed for some bits i had in the draw,,,three kicks and it started :o
After a few mins it started to smoke like a first start of a diesel on a winter morning, pulled the motor out and stripped the bike to send to the blasters. When i got the cylinder off the rings had stuck and broken at the bottom :oops: You just try and get a C70 ring set or piston and rings :(
I ended up with a cheap chinese set just for the rings. Told my Honda dealer ( none available from Honda for the 70 ) he took me upstairs in the stores and said " that box on the top shelf help yourself " :lol: loads of old stock new stuff....so it is now back to Honda OE piston and rings...
Leaving it until May as it does not need an MOT then :lol: New front shocks and links wheel bearings chain cush drive, all the bits that off with standing..Even bought a 110 engine to put in it after MOT. That too is still in it's box...
Lyn.

PS: i have my order in for one of the new Super Cubs when they arrive this year..Blue or Yellow single seat job. Ow! and they are 125cc for Euroland.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

Ive had more than 10 cubs, Ive owned one 3 times (havn't I Bob.) :)
they are a great lightweight fun bike. Very reliable if looked after. Going for silly money now as in VW beetle/mini classic quirky status in the bike category.
Check out c-90 club steve,- http://www.c90club.co.uk/index.php
Engine problems arn't a big issue as a new reliable lifan 110 4 speed is £200, and a good upgrade. The main problem is frame rot as already stated so check around rear wheel arch.
Im dead exited about this subject as Lyn is selling me his c-70 next week. :D
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

horobags
Benefactor
Current Ride: RE 350 classic vision 110

Post by horobags »

the 12v are the best model for reliability.
Im not a gynecologist, but I dont mind taking a look.

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

There's an (almost) immaculate C50 in a dealer near me. They must be attaining classic status as he wants £1995 for it. I was tempted, but I think it's a little on the steep side. :?

Deleted User 4154

Post by Deleted User 4154 »

Prices of these have gone mad in the last three years or so, mostly driven up by beardy hipster types who turn them into hideous cafe racers and chops. As things stand now, £1500 would just about get you a scabby square headlamp bike with some MOT.

They are good fun to ride, but the Hipster Tax means that the much less fashionable Innova/Wave represents 100 x better value for money as well as being a far superior machine in every respect, while retaining the old school step-thru charm of the original.

Maxsymuppet
Current Ride: Maxsym 600i

Post by Maxsymuppet »

Good choice. As Ralph says, the engines are pretty much bulletproof. But watch for the old tin worm in the back mudguard and round the rear shocks. But one word of caution. Make sure you never leave it without a decent padlock and chain on it. Not even for five minutes. The kids love them. Stripped down (front mudguard, legshields and headlight removed) they make an ideal field bike that is small, light and low-powered enough (and easy to ride because of the auto clutch) for kids of any age. This is what happened to my first one according to the police. (I had two of them back in 96)

Dave Weller
Benefactor
Current Ride: VespaGTS250 Wave110i

Post by Dave Weller »

In Chatham, it goes without saying that you NEVER leave it out of sight, the Chavs will have it away before you've gone round the corner.
So it becomes purely a fun bike, can't take it as a shopper, it won't be there when you return.
Honda NC750 Manual
VESPA GTS250
Royal Enfield HNTR 350
Honda Wave 110i