New Xmax 300

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

New Xmax 300

Post by Ralph »

Well it has arrived they delivered it by van as the ferry and bus were both
not running, so much for public transport, it was blowing a half gale and
snowing so I did not miss much, it was bone cold and dark so all I have done
is push it in the garage will have a look tomorrow n work out how things work.
Two things I did notice how light it feels, it is the same weight as my last bike
a MT-07 but feels much lighter and how easy it is to push compared to my last
Bergman 400, The dealer has given me a extra electronic key as they have
already had someone lose one and it was a hassle to sort.
More when I get to ride it.
icon_maxi_scoot.gif
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Re: New Xmax 300

Post by MrGrumpy »

Not the weather for a new scoot! Interesting about the Smart Key...I think Yamaha are very mean to only give out one with each scoot. I did enquire about how a spare for the Tmax would be - it was something like £100 for the key and £50 to program it, so I passed on that.

mac65
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda ADV 350

Post by mac65 »

Lucky you! I'm due to collect my new X-Max tomorrow, but the way the weather is looking, probably this time next week until I get it. There is a manual override for the key system if it does go missing or the battery fails. Didn't realise it was that expensive to replace though. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your new machine. :D
enjoy eXtra to the Max

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2023 Forza 350 YamT7

Post by Capt. R Swipe »

That is bloody tight of Yamaha.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

mac65 wrote:. There is a manual override for the key system if it does go missing or the battery fails.
There is on the Tmax, but 1) you need the manual key thats in the smart key anyway, so if you've lost your smart key you are totally screwed - you might as well ring a scrapyard to take it away as even Yamaha warn that most of the electrics will need to be replaced at huge cost and 2) the emergency procedure is so complex and error prone that your chances of succeeding in doing it at the roadside are very slim!

abitmad

Post by abitmad »

MrGrumpy wrote: There is on the Tmax, but 1) you need the manual key thats in the smart key anyway, so if you've lost your smart key you are totally screwed - you might as well ring a scrapyard to take it away as even Yamaha warn that most of the electrics will need to be replaced at huge cost and 2) the emergency procedure is so complex and error prone that your chances of succeeding in doing it at the roadside are very slim!
Not quite. Althought on the TMax they don't supply a spare smart key, they do supply a spare manual key with a number card. You are right that the emergency procedure requires the m-key but if you have lost the s-key (or its battery is dead or it otherwise fails to work for any reason) you should still have the spare m-key and number card somewhere. Both of those are required to operate the es procedure.

You will also need the manual book with you, or on your phone maybe, because as you say the procedure is very complicated and you will never remember it if you just read it once months ago perhaps. What I've done is made a photocopy of the pages with the es procedure and carry it permanently on the bike. But I don't carry the spare m-key and number card with me so it would be an embuggerance if the s-key is lost miles from home, which sod's law predicts would be the case.

What will then cost money is to obtain a new s-key if it was lost but at least you will be able to use the bike meanwhile and it isn't useless without it provided you can find the spare m-key and number. Yam recommend in the manual that you make a note of the number on the card so that you don't need to have it with you to operate the es procedure. You will still need the m-key of course but most of us will keep that at home cos we don't want to risk losing that too, so it will still be a problem if we're miles away.

For the ultra cautious rider, (and I'm not one) the ultimate answer is to get a copy made of the spare m-key, which may not cost very much, and carry that with you at all times together with a note of the number and the es instructions. That way if you lose the s-key or it fails to work, you will always be able to es the bike wherever you are, and still have the original spare m-key and number card at home just in case you manage to lose both the s-key and the m-key you carry with you.

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

With the 300 you don't need any key you do need the number code and as above
you would be lucky to remember how to enter it unless you had a crib sheet.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

I don't think there's much chance of me buying a new bike anytime soon, but if I was in the market I'd make sure it was something without a smartkey.
I mean, how smart do you have to be? :?

Ralph

Post by Ralph »

Must admit given the chose I would prefare to stick a key in a slot.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

abitmad wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote: There is on the Tmax, but 1) you need the manual key thats in the smart key anyway, so if you've lost your smart key you are totally screwed - you might as well ring a scrapyard to take it away as even Yamaha warn that most of the electrics will need to be replaced at huge cost and 2) the emergency procedure is so complex and error prone that your chances of succeeding in doing it at the roadside are very slim!
Not quite. Althought on the TMax they don't supply a spare smart key, they do supply a spare manual key with a number card. You are right that the emergency procedure requires the m-key but if you have lost the s-key (or its battery is dead or it otherwise fails to work for any reason) you should still have the spare m-key and number card somewhere. Both of those are required to operate the es procedure.

You will also need the manual book with you, or on your phone maybe, because as you say the procedure is very complicated and you will never remember it if you just read it once months ago perhaps. What I've done is made a photocopy of the pages with the es procedure and carry it permanently on the bike. But I don't carry the spare m-key and number card with me so it would be an embuggerance if the s-key is lost miles from home, which sod's law predicts would be the case.

What will then cost money is to obtain a new s-key if it was lost but at least you will be able to use the bike meanwhile and it isn't useless without it provided you can find the spare m-key and number. Yam recommend in the manual that you make a note of the number on the card so that you don't need to have it with you to operate the es procedure. You will still need the m-key of course but most of us will keep that at home cos we don't want to risk losing that too, so it will still be a problem if we're miles away.

For the ultra cautious rider, (and I'm not one) the ultimate answer is to get a copy made of the spare m-key, which may not cost very much, and carry that with you at all times together with a note of the number and the es instructions. That way if you lose the s-key or it fails to work, you will always be able to es the bike wherever you are, and still have the original spare m-key and number card at home just in case you manage to lose both the s-key and the m-key you carry with you.
Yes - you are right, if you have the code you can get the system resusitated. The emergency procedure is for emergencies only, and will need going through each time you want to start the engine.

Like you, I did carry photocopies of the relevant pages around, but decided that they were too prone to get lost or blown out of the topbox or underseat storage. I have now managed to download the users manual to my phone. I should have a record of the magic number on there as well.....somewhere. I do have two extra copies of the manual key, though this is as much to do with the fact it operates the topbox as well! I have the one in the system key, carry another with a bunch of keys to use the topbox and keep the other two at home (one is rather bent due to stupid topbox design). The keys cost £7 for a blank from Yamaha, plus £10 for key person to carve the pattern in.