New Xmax 300

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Post Reply
User avatar
Ralph
Posts: 625
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:20 am
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300
Location: Near Fleetwood
England
New Xmax 300

Post by Ralph » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:10 pm

Well it has arrived they delivered it by van as the ferry and bus were both
not running, so much for public transport, it was blowing a half gale and
snowing so I did not miss much, it was bone cold and dark so all I have done
is push it in the garage will have a look tomorrow n work out how things work.
Two things I did notice how light it feels, it is the same weight as my last bike
a MT-07 but feels much lighter and how easy it is to push compared to my last
Bergman 400, The dealer has given me a extra electronic key as they have
already had someone lose one and it was a hassle to sort.
More when I get to ride it.
icon_maxi_scoot.gif
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NH 350
Ariel WNG 350


icon_maxi_scoot.gif


Image

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Posts: 5628
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:50 pm
Current Ride: T-max mk6
Location: Teesside UK
England
Re: New Xmax 300

Post by MrGrumpy » Wed Feb 28, 2018 3:45 pm

Not the weather for a new scoot! Interesting about the Smart Key...I think Yamaha are very mean to only give out one with each scoot. I did enquire about how a spare for the Tmax would be - it was something like £100 for the key and £50 to program it, so I passed on that.

User avatar
mac65
Benefactor
Posts: 358
Joined: Fri May 22, 2009 1:45 pm
Current Ride: Yamaha X-Max 400
Location: Aberdeen
EU Flag
Re: New Xmax 300

Post by mac65 » Wed Feb 28, 2018 4:03 pm

Lucky you! I'm due to collect my new X-Max tomorrow, but the way the weather is looking, probably this time next week until I get it. There is a manual override for the key system if it does go missing or the battery fails. Didn't realise it was that expensive to replace though. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your new machine. :D
enjoy eXtra to the Max

Capt. R Swipe
Benefactor
Posts: 562
Joined: Sat Mar 22, 2014 11:17 am
Current Ride: Nmax 125
Location: Plymouth, Devon
England
Re: New Xmax 300

Post by Capt. R Swipe » Wed Feb 28, 2018 6:18 pm

That is bloody tight of Yamaha.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Posts: 5628
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:50 pm
Current Ride: T-max mk6
Location: Teesside UK
England
Re: New Xmax 300

Post by MrGrumpy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:00 am

mac65 wrote:. There is a manual override for the key system if it does go missing or the battery fails.
There is on the Tmax, but 1) you need the manual key thats in the smart key anyway, so if you've lost your smart key you are totally screwed - you might as well ring a scrapyard to take it away as even Yamaha warn that most of the electrics will need to be replaced at huge cost and 2) the emergency procedure is so complex and error prone that your chances of succeeding in doing it at the roadside are very slim!

abitmad
Posts: 170
Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 3:16 am
Re: New Xmax 300

Post by abitmad » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:19 am

MrGrumpy wrote: There is on the Tmax, but 1) you need the manual key thats in the smart key anyway, so if you've lost your smart key you are totally screwed - you might as well ring a scrapyard to take it away as even Yamaha warn that most of the electrics will need to be replaced at huge cost and 2) the emergency procedure is so complex and error prone that your chances of succeeding in doing it at the roadside are very slim!
Not quite. Althought on the TMax they don't supply a spare smart key, they do supply a spare manual key with a number card. You are right that the emergency procedure requires the m-key but if you have lost the s-key (or its battery is dead or it otherwise fails to work for any reason) you should still have the spare m-key and number card somewhere. Both of those are required to operate the es procedure.

You will also need the manual book with you, or on your phone maybe, because as you say the procedure is very complicated and you will never remember it if you just read it once months ago perhaps. What I've done is made a photocopy of the pages with the es procedure and carry it permanently on the bike. But I don't carry the spare m-key and number card with me so it would be an embuggerance if the s-key is lost miles from home, which sod's law predicts would be the case.

What will then cost money is to obtain a new s-key if it was lost but at least you will be able to use the bike meanwhile and it isn't useless without it provided you can find the spare m-key and number. Yam recommend in the manual that you make a note of the number on the card so that you don't need to have it with you to operate the es procedure. You will still need the m-key of course but most of us will keep that at home cos we don't want to risk losing that too, so it will still be a problem if we're miles away.

For the ultra cautious rider, (and I'm not one) the ultimate answer is to get a copy made of the spare m-key, which may not cost very much, and carry that with you at all times together with a note of the number and the es instructions. That way if you lose the s-key or it fails to work, you will always be able to es the bike wherever you are, and still have the original spare m-key and number card at home just in case you manage to lose both the s-key and the m-key you carry with you.

User avatar
Ralph
Posts: 625
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:20 am
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300
Location: Near Fleetwood
England
Re: New Xmax 300

Post by Ralph » Thu Mar 01, 2018 4:30 am

With the 300 you don't need any key you do need the number code and as above
you would be lucky to remember how to enter it unless you had a crib sheet.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NH 350
Ariel WNG 350


icon_maxi_scoot.gif


Image

User avatar
2wheelover51
Posts: 1008
Joined: Fri Aug 07, 2015 9:12 pm
Current Ride: TMax 500Y
Re: New Xmax 300

Post by 2wheelover51 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:36 am

I don't think there's much chance of me buying a new bike anytime soon, but if I was in the market I'd make sure it was something without a smartkey.
I mean, how smart do you have to be? :?

User avatar
Ralph
Posts: 625
Joined: Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:20 am
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300
Location: Near Fleetwood
England
Re: New Xmax 300

Post by Ralph » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:54 am

Must admit given the chose I would prefare to stick a key in a slot.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NH 350
Ariel WNG 350


icon_maxi_scoot.gif


Image

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Posts: 5628
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 3:50 pm
Current Ride: T-max mk6
Location: Teesside UK
England
Re: New Xmax 300

Post by MrGrumpy » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:55 am

abitmad wrote:
MrGrumpy wrote: There is on the Tmax, but 1) you need the manual key thats in the smart key anyway, so if you've lost your smart key you are totally screwed - you might as well ring a scrapyard to take it away as even Yamaha warn that most of the electrics will need to be replaced at huge cost and 2) the emergency procedure is so complex and error prone that your chances of succeeding in doing it at the roadside are very slim!
Not quite. Althought on the TMax they don't supply a spare smart key, they do supply a spare manual key with a number card. You are right that the emergency procedure requires the m-key but if you have lost the s-key (or its battery is dead or it otherwise fails to work for any reason) you should still have the spare m-key and number card somewhere. Both of those are required to operate the es procedure.

You will also need the manual book with you, or on your phone maybe, because as you say the procedure is very complicated and you will never remember it if you just read it once months ago perhaps. What I've done is made a photocopy of the pages with the es procedure and carry it permanently on the bike. But I don't carry the spare m-key and number card with me so it would be an embuggerance if the s-key is lost miles from home, which sod's law predicts would be the case.

What will then cost money is to obtain a new s-key if it was lost but at least you will be able to use the bike meanwhile and it isn't useless without it provided you can find the spare m-key and number. Yam recommend in the manual that you make a note of the number on the card so that you don't need to have it with you to operate the es procedure. You will still need the m-key of course but most of us will keep that at home cos we don't want to risk losing that too, so it will still be a problem if we're miles away.

For the ultra cautious rider, (and I'm not one) the ultimate answer is to get a copy made of the spare m-key, which may not cost very much, and carry that with you at all times together with a note of the number and the es instructions. That way if you lose the s-key or it fails to work, you will always be able to es the bike wherever you are, and still have the original spare m-key and number card at home just in case you manage to lose both the s-key and the m-key you carry with you.
Yes - you are right, if you have the code you can get the system resusitated. The emergency procedure is for emergencies only, and will need going through each time you want to start the engine.

Like you, I did carry photocopies of the relevant pages around, but decided that they were too prone to get lost or blown out of the topbox or underseat storage. I have now managed to download the users manual to my phone. I should have a record of the magic number on there as well.....somewhere. I do have two extra copies of the manual key, though this is as much to do with the fact it operates the topbox as well! I have the one in the system key, carry another with a bunch of keys to use the topbox and keep the other two at home (one is rather bent due to stupid topbox design). The keys cost £7 for a blank from Yamaha, plus £10 for key person to carve the pattern in.


Post Reply