Flat battery help

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Adyhbris
Current Ride: Burgman 650

Flat battery help

Post by Adyhbris »

My first mistake on the bike, I thought the underwear light would have an automatic switch that turns it off when the seat shuts, it seems I was wrong.

I tried to start the bike this morning and nothing, no dash lights, no immobiliser flashing light, nothing ☹️

My question.
Am I able to jump start the bike from a car like I would car to car? Or should I take the battery off and pop it on the car charger in the garage?

Sorry if this seems a daft question but I know nothing about mechanics and the like.

Thanks
Ady

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ralph
Current Ride: Yamaha X-max 300 300

Re: Flat battery help

Post by Ralph »

I would not jump it from the car as the car would supply a massive amount of power
as the two systems try to ballance, does your charger have a low setting ideally less
than 2 amps if so use that take the earth connector off the battery and charge it
for say 2 or 3 hours then try it unless you have a proper bike charger I would not
leave it on to long, once started take it for a good run the system will charge it up.
Ralph
Nr Fleetwood
Yamaha X-max 300
Ariel NG 350
AJS Model 18S.

icon_maxi_scoot.gif

roadster
Benefactor
Current Ride: Silence S01

Post by roadster »

There is nothing wrong with jumping any twelve volt battery from any other 12 volt battery but under no circumstances have the car engine running when you do this. You should always connect positive to positive first because accidentally shorting the positive lead when the negative side is not connected can do no harm. Once the positive is firmly and correctly connected you should then connect the earth side negative to negative. After starting the scooter remove the negative lead first. I repeat do not at any time start the car engine because its charging system can overwhelm scooter electronics or blow fuses.
Located on UK South Coast
SYM Joymax 125 and Honda CB300R. Previously Silence S01, Kymco AK550, Triumph Tiger 850, Triumph Street Twin etc...

Adyhbris

Post by Adyhbris »

roadster wrote:There is nothing wrong with jumping any twelve volt battery from any other 12 volt battery but under no circumstances have the car engine running when you do this. You should always connect positive to positive first because accidentally shorting the positive lead when the negative side is not connected can do no harm. Once the positive is firmly and correctly connected you should then connect the earth side negative to negative. After starting the scooter remove the negative lead first. I repeat do not at any time start the car engine because its charging system can overwhelm scooter electronics or blow fuses.
Thanks very much mate, really appreciated the advice, am I correct in thinking then that the under seat seat light doesn’t turn off when the seat is closed?

Adyhbris

Post by Adyhbris »

Ralph wrote:I would not jump it from the car as the car would supply a massive amount of power
as the two systems try to ballance, does your charger have a low setting ideally less
than 2 amps if so use that take the earth connector off the battery and charge it
for say 2 or 3 hours then try it unless you have a proper bike charger I would not
leave it on to long, once started take it for a good run the system will charge it up.
Thanks for your help.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Meldrew wrote:I'd remove that under seat storage area bulb for good, they aren't really necessary and are one of the main causes of a flat battery on a maxi scooter if the seat isn't closed properly.

If you want under seat illumination buy a cheapo LED torch or lamp and use that instead. It'll also come in handy whenever you need a bit of light.
That's funny, I have just been trying to work out how the emergency key works on the SH300 and decided I needed a nice small torch. Can anyone recommend a nice small torch that takes up little space but makes an acceptable worklight? I've concluded that, if you need the emergency key, it might be quicker to walk home.

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

I have one of those small L E D headlamps...lights up either white or red...front/back i think it came from Lidl or Aldi on one of those push bike specials they have...only uses 2 x aaa batteries and last hours..can fix it to things with the elastic head band.

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

kayz1 wrote:I have one of those small L E D headlamps...lights up either white or red...front/back i think it came from Lidl or Aldi on one of those push bike specials they have...only uses 2 x aaa batteries and last hours..can fix it to things with the elastic head band.
Good thinking Lyn, and it will be great for camp cooking at night :)

2wheelover51
Current Ride: 2012 Burgman 400 Limited

Post by 2wheelover51 »

"Thanks very much mate, really appreciated the advice, am I correct in thinking then that the under seat seat light doesn’t turn off when the seat is closed?" Quote Adyhbris.
No, all the underseat lights I've seen (not many I have to admit) do turn off when the seat is closed. You seem to have a fault with the switch or the wiring. It should turn off.

Whatsisname
Benefactor
Current Ride: Burgman 400 K5

Post by Whatsisname »

From memory (I took the bulb out) it's a three position switch on off and auto. You can get button shaped torches with ten led's and a movement sensor for a couple of quid that do the job better.
I wake up every morning with a smile upon my face,
My natural exuberance spills out all over the place!