How do Malossi belts hold up?

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
Taipan
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda NC700X DCT Tmax mk2

How do Malossi belts hold up?

Post by Taipan »

I assume my Tmax has a Malossi belt fitted and just wondered how they were? I seem to recall they didn't have the greatest reputation for longevity? I don't want to change it for the sake of it, but i'm fitting Dr Pulleys next weekend so it would be an opportunity to do so, if the malossi belts aren't very good?

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Re: How do Malossi belts hold up?

Post by kayz1 »

When the T-MAX first came out i had one :D after a year i fitted a Mulivar2000 and the the belt, did around 5800 miles and it snapped ..standard belt fitted after that and then changed at service interval times....But Yamaha belts are very hex-pen-siv :( All the other T-MAX i have had i have always put Yamaha belts on them.
Lyn.

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

kayz1 wrote:When the T-MAX first came out i had one :D after a year i fitted a Mulivar2000 and the the belt, did around 5800 miles and it snapped ..standard belt fitted after that and then changed at service interval times....But Yamaha belts are very hex-pen-siv :( All the other T-MAX i have had i have always put Yamaha belts on them.
Lyn.
Thanks Lyn. I've sold all my other bikes now and the Tmax is my daily commuter, so i'll put an OEM one now and keep the Malossi as a back up.

Ouch! I see what you mean about the price! :shock: Oh well, they're not much use with one I suppose! :D

kayz1
Benefactor
Current Ride: Scott X-ADV75 + bmw r90s + c70

Post by kayz1 »

I would wait for Peter ( Funky ) or some body who used the T-MAX on a daily basis for work as my use was pleasure only.. Plus i was going to say, i did buy one of those Bandag i think it was called belts, that lasted about 4000 miles. Strange as they are OE on a lot of Honda scoots.
Lyn.

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

I've heard that Malossi belts aren't that great as well, though I've had no experience of them. A mechanic told me that whilst they were reinforced with Kevlar, the reinforcements weren't in the direction that you would expect to extend life.

Waldorf
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda Forza 350

Post by Waldorf »

It was found with Piaggio X9s that the OEM belts were better value for money - more expensive than Malossi belts but lasted disproportionately longer.

The 'kevlar' bit was a sales gimmick - the OEM belts had kevlar in.

I wouldn't mind betting it's the same with T-Max belts, too.
Mike
Honda Forza 350 - Adso
NIU electric moped - HAL
"Ignorant people will always be afraid of what's different and will always mock what they don't understand."
Capitano

Proud to be a member of the Ugly Bunch

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

Kayz - I’ve got a Bando OEM Honda belt waiting to be fitted to my sh300i - I’m certainly hoping for more than 4K from it otherwise I’ll crack up - not the belt hopefully

Funkycowie
Admin
Current Ride: Honda NC750x

Post by Funkycowie »

Always stick to OEM, I have had a couple of non OEM belts snap (Athena and Malossi), the worst was only after 1500 miles. I had just overtaken a lorry over taking a lorry being over taken by a car which was going at about 60mph, so I was in lane 4 on the M25 and lost all power, luckily I was able to coast over to the hard shoulder. The belt (Malossi) has shredded to bits and wrapped around everything, luckily no damage but took about 1 hour to cut and untangle.

TMax owners have been able to run their belts as high as 22k miles, almost x2 as much as the service interval, before changing. If a non-oem lasts only 1-8k miles you're not saving any money, just chucking money at shite.
ImageImageImageImage
Past Bikes: Piaggio B125, Gilera Nexus 500, TMax MK3 in White, TMax MK3 in Yellow, TMax MK3 in Yellow, Honda NC750x in Blue...

Taipan
Benefactor

Post by Taipan »

Funkycowie wrote:Always stick to OEM, I have had a couple of non OEM belts snap (Athena and Malossi), the worst was only after 1500 miles. I had just overtaken a lorry over taking a lorry being over taken by a car which was going at about 60mph, so I was in lane 4 on the M25 and lost all power, luckily I was able to coast over to the hard shoulder. The belt (Malossi) has shredded to bits and wrapped around everything, luckily no damage but took about 1 hour to cut and untangle.

TMax owners have been able to run their belts as high as 22k miles, almost x2 as much as the service interval, before changing. If a non-oem lasts only 1-8k miles you're not saving any money, just chucking money at shite.

I remember fiting a chinese belt to my mk1 tmax as Suttons had belts on back order and were quoting 10 days to delivery. I only got 600 miles out of the chinese belt and that was taking it easy! :shock: Saved me using the trains though, so it was still a better option, but 600 miles!!! :evil:

I wondered if Malossi had upped their game in the last few years, but clearly not!. No worries though, Fowlers have dispatched my new one to me this morning. I juts need 300 more miles out of the Malossi and am suddenly nervous of it making it! :lol:

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Talking of belts, I forgot to ask The Bern where he got his braces.