First 100 miles

A whole section dedicated to the Suzuki Burgman
Snail
Current Ride: Burgman

First 100 miles

Post by Snail »

Picked it up on Wednesday, minus the rack waiting for it to arrive? Observations so far.....

Incredibly low to ground at 29 inch leg flat footed with bent knees, feels like sitting on a cruiser,
Extra weight noticeable to push around, sat in it rather than on it, noisey compared to Honda purr will get better I hope, toolkit? Screwdriver, spring adjuster, Allen key is that it or am I missing something?

How do you all get on, leg over or through? If going through scuff marks on the plastics? Leg over ok if on side stand?

Could maybe put some decorative alloy chequer plate on the fuel cover to stop the scuff marks?

Running in did you ride below 4000rpm for first 600 miles? 40mph!

Anyone found a workshop manual for 2018 model to download yet?

Thanks Brian

Deleted User 7077

Re: First 100 miles

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Side stand leg thro

Deleted User 7077

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

I would worry about revs too much just let it warm up odd blip to 5/ 6 K be fine .

Bern

Post by Bern »

Snail wrote: Fri Oct 05, 2018 3:40 am How do you all get on, leg over or through? If going through scuff marks on the plastics?
Avoiding the obvious 'leg over' jokes, for scuff mark prevention use ...... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CLEAR-A4-siz ... xyoA1ROm4J

SH125Paul
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH125 - NC750X DCT

Post by SH125Paul »

My XMax with tunnel... Over
Centre Stand to warm up a little, then push off stand and leg over
My SH with Top Box... Thru
Centre Stand to to warm up a little, then push off stand and leg thru...

Running In - Warm it up and use it, vary the revs (stay of the Dual Carriage Ways!) use most of the range and don't labour the engine...
Change the oil.. Engine and Tx

Scootypuff snr

Post by Scootypuff snr »

Snail
New model.so can't comment but burgman 400 was noisier than some other brands as I recall. Being a single if given some beans keep an eye on oil levels.

Tool kits are sparse now (penny pinching) and when i bought my Vstrom i had to buy extras as the rear spindle was from the hayabusa (which got a socket) Strom didn't

Mounting leg over tunnel, be sure it's balanced leg over seat you'll clump the top box.

Check what speed 4000rpm is, if not safe for road conditions just as Paul says above gentle load/unload engine.
I do town trips when running in as its stop start traffic so piston & parts heat & cool with use as intended. Duel carriage way OK for a short throttle open but then close it down so again parts expand and contract (don't just cruise at 40mph)

Enjoy your new ride

PS some will just say ride it like you stole it makes no difference as everything is machined now not handbuilt.
I like to be sympathetic to my engine to start with

rayb
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300

Post by rayb »

Youtube is your friend

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Nice one, enjoy the new ride. As scootypuff says, be a little sympathetic to your motor. The Burgman doesn't like wide open throttle during initial running in. The cylinder is coated with a mineral coating which can be damaged if loaded and revved too hard. It is however, ok to use a few more revs than 4k. I used 4500rpm during the first 250 miles, then upped that to 5k until 600 miles. After that just build up the revs in increments of say 1k at a time so by the time you hit 1000 miles you are also at max power revs. Other than that, as said by others, vary speed, throttle and load often until run in. Enjoy!
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...

Snail

Post by Snail »

Thanks for your wise replies, nearly up to 200 now and can I think feel a difference or maybe just getting used to it? In for rack fitting on Monday so able to use top box again, Mrs snail not keen on the lack of it, and of course your groceries get quite warm under the seat no point buying ice cream!

Will persevere with the running in although it will be hard to do the miles in town, but worth it for long term ownership, we are hoping to go to Normandy on it next june, and maybe a IOW trip, just wish we could find more partners who enjoy trips, seems a bit male orientated, Mrs snail does enjoy the runs out but sure it would be better for her to talk with the ladies now and then

Snail

Snail

Post by Snail »

Just come back from dealer after having the Suzuki rack fitted, my Givi v47 monokey box fits direct to the rack no need for any adaptor plates, only thing i would say is it sits closer to the pillion than on the Honda, might buy mrs snail a backpad, so if you go this route don't let them charge for any unnecessary parts, seems quite a strong fixing going through the plastic tail piece down onto the frame

Snail