BMW 400GT

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

BMW 400GT

Post by MrGrumpy »

So, if you didn't think the recent BMW 400 was the scoot for you, there's now a GT version as well!
https://www.visordown.com/news/new-bike ... r-released

Personally, I think its quite a nice idea to have a more touring version of a scoot available for those who would like one, but I shudder to think about the price!!!

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Re: BMW 400GT

Post by phantom309 »

it is a nice scoot close up too . had a sit on it .. the new tft dash is pretty , but way way to complicated , so many settings for just about anything. i have enough trouble changing the flipping time twice a year ..
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .

Argyll
Benefactor
Current Ride: SH300i

Post by Argyll »

Love the looks but how on earth can they brand it as a GT when there's no room for carrying your stuff? The expanded seat only works when stationary. Looks like a fine scooter but a GT??

Symcity
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda SH300i

Post by Symcity »

phantom309 wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:35 am it is a nice scoot close up too . had a sit on it .. the new tft dash is pretty , but way way to complicated , so many settings for just about anything. i have enough trouble changing the flipping time twice a year ..
One must embrace new technology - my scooter actually has pneumatic tyres

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Argyll wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:51 am Love the looks but how on earth can they brand it as a GT when there's no room for carrying your stuff? The expanded seat only works when stationary.
I've always thought the idea behind BMW's flexicase system is quite sensible as I use the most storage when I'm parked up - ie to store the helmet and bike jacket. I only need maximum storage on the road when I've been shopping!

phantom309
Current Ride: nc750sa

Post by phantom309 »

Symcity wrote: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:41 am
One must embrace new technology - my scooter actually has pneumatic tyres
yes but if you have a look . there are so many pages to change things.? it confusing :?: . I just want to get on an ride the dam thing 8-) .all you really need a dash to tell you is how slow you are going , :o and when you are going to run out of fuel :roll: . an maybe the time so you know when it's tea time . :D
Good friends don't let you do stupids thing alone .

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

Yeah, but I'm worried about the distraction factor of playing with menus, displays etc on the move. I need all my limited attention span to be on the road rather than fiddling with things. It was why I didn't go for Yamaha heated grips which were controlled by scrolling through menus rather than a simple switch (apart from the expense of course!).

MrGrumpy
Benefactor

Post by MrGrumpy »

My car isn't new enough to have these screens. The benefit off old-fashioned systems is that all knobs, stalks etc can be operated without taking your eyes off the road....and my car has something like 7 switches on the steering wheel alone! The heating system has a display and fiddling with that can be distracting as I try to remember how to get the screen demisting working.

XP500FUN
Benefactor
Current Ride: Honda WibbleWing 600 Love it

Post by XP500FUN »

I always thought that adjustemnt of any of these type screens, bike, car, lorry or whatever, should be dissabled when the engine is running or at least on the move at all.

It seems worse to me than talking on a mobile phone and thats bad enough.

Best Mark.

Data
Benefactor
Current Ride: 2016 Vespa GTS300ie abs asr

Post by Data »

Meldrew wrote: Wed Nov 21, 2018 3:07 pm If you're worried about the distraction factor of one or two handlebar switches that scroll through various modes and functions on the latest motorcycle and maxi scooters. How do you cope driving a car where this stuff has been around for years.

There's a dashboard full of buttons, knobs, and switches, more function buttons on the steering wheel, plus a couple of control stalks to press and move knobs on, and switches on the doors. You probably use it all without any problems at all.
Quite agree. For me the tech is really useful giving extra functionality and information. It's easy to use and no one in their right mind would operate it when on the move, at least no more so than you would press a button to switch on heated grips or some such thing. The most commonly used functions are all easy to hand and you don't have to scroll through several different screens to get to them. I noted the heated grips were right there, no problem finding the switch on function, and easily done on the move if needed.

By comparison, my new car has a high tech dash with only 8 buttons on the steering wheel and a couple of others on the dash. It allows a massive amount of extra functionality and information over previously non computerised cars. Not like cars from years ago with a confusing array of ugly misplaced buttons all over the dashboard. Just about everything is controlled from a main computer screen mounted centrally in the dash. Its big, easy to see, and incredibly easy to use. So, climate control, all the cars functions such as 'stop/start' fuel saving, diagnostics + one million other functions & radio, phone, satellite navigation etc etc is all touch screen. The idea is to remove mechanical switches allowing the use of much more efficient and more reliable car network cabling which removes vast amounts of wiring and weight (noise caused by cables too) from within the car structure.

In effect, my car is a giant computer with everything going through a mini internet within the car, basically running through just two cables which in effect hit mini powerline adaptors at various points to deliver functionality to whatever it needs to. If a rear light bulb blows, it tells me which one and immediately flags that up. And it keeps reminding me if I don't address the problem. If the computer detects a pending engine malfunction, it tells you what it is and what to do. It can even self repair many engine issues that could arise. All things that don't happen in an analogue car. So this stuff moving to bikes has to be a good thing! It will bring improved reliability due to less cabling for one.
Probably not ugly enough for the 'Ugly Bunch'! :lol:

Been riding for 54 years & owned too many bikes to list here...