Piaggio MP3 LT500- couple of bits of advice needed!

Chat about all makes of Maxi scoot here!
jamesdobie9
Current Ride: Peugeot

Piaggio MP3 LT500- couple of bits of advice needed!

Post by jamesdobie9 »

Morning all.

I did do an introduce myself post a couple of months back, then work promptly got in the way and all of my plans were shelved, as it were, and I haven;t ventured back since!

So i was hoping to pick the brains of people far more knowledgeable than I.

I have the opportunity to buy one the bikes in the title- from a trusted source and at a very good price. Currently, I have passed my theory but not either an A2 or an A license.
I'm being given conflicting info from both test centres and the internet as to whether I can ride it on an A2 licence, for one, and also whether I can indeed even do the test on it at all.
I'm assuming if I were to do the full licence, it wouldn't be an issue at all? Lots of conflicting information and it is giving me a headache :lol:

Finally, anyone actually recommend it, or would I be better off looking elsewhere? My previous hankering was for a 400 Bergman, for example. I'm currently riding a clapped out Peugeot Tweet 125 and for the few journeys I find myself doing, its borderline dangerous with the lack of power and I need a bit more oomph. I'm not into loads of speed, but the ability to keep up with traffic without being at full tilt would be lovely, and to keep a helmet in the dry....

Apologies, I realise it's far too many questions for one post! Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks, James

Deleted User 7077

Re: Piaggio MP3 LT500- couple of bits of advice needed!

Post by Deleted User 7077 »

Its not on dvla list for taking A2 test on not sure about riding afterwards .Other piaggio 500's are .Have you got a car licence ?
There's a Facebook group for mp3 be good for advice not sure how many have them on here nowadays.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ding-tests

jamesdobie9

Post by jamesdobie9 »

Noo, not a massive fan of four wheels if I'm honest!

I did have a look there and couldn't see it- so assumed that was the case, but the test centre seem to think its fine, which is giving me one of the headaches!
I'll have a shufti on farcebook, thanks!

Deleted User 7077

It does say if not listed take proof to test centre I presume it means power output but there again the Lt isn't classed as a bike .One of older 3 wheelers pre LT are classed as bikes I think its all to do with distance between front wheels

Bern

Post by Bern »

Ear yer goe bud ... The licence you need to ride a Piaggio MP3 will depend on the power output and the spacing of the front wheels ..............

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q900.htm

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

If its an LT model, then it can be driven on a car licence (or so I believe) - it will have a wider track than some other MP3 models and a footbrake pedal - both of which make it a trike, not a bike.
If it turns out not to be an LT model and thus a bike not a trike, the Piaggio 500 engine has 40 bhp I believe - if so, this is rideable on an A2 licence (48bhp limit)
Obviously, make sure of the insurance situation before any test ride.

Bern

Post by Bern »

And to muddy the waters a bit more ............

Provisional B1 entitlement to ride/drive a three-wheeler has been withdrawn from all riders, even if they were using a three-wheeler prior to 19.01.13. After 19.01.13, a provisional licence will only cover riders to ride motor tricycles if they have a physical disability.

To answer Pikey's & OP's earlier point ....
jamesdobie9 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:37 am I'm being given conflicting info from both test centres and the internet as to whether I can ride it on an A2 licence, for one, and also whether I can indeed even do the test on it at all.
Has been maxi tours wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:58 am Its not on dvla list for taking A2
Driving tests for three-wheeled vehicles will only be available for physically disabled drivers. Able-bodied provisional licence holders who wish to ride motor tricycles will have to pass CBT and practical tests on a two wheeled motorcycle AM, A1 or A without a sidecar.

........... Taken from .............

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q504.htm

Deleted User 7077

I'd go for car test may not want 4 wheels now but in future maybe

jamesdobie9

Post by jamesdobie9 »

Bern wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 6:58 am And to muddy the waters a bit more ............

Provisional B1 entitlement to ride/drive a three-wheeler has been withdrawn from all riders, even if they were using a three-wheeler prior to 19.01.13. After 19.01.13, a provisional licence will only cover riders to ride motor tricycles if they have a physical disability.

To answer Pikey's & OP's earlier point ....
jamesdobie9 wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:37 am I'm being given conflicting info from both test centres and the internet as to whether I can ride it on an A2 licence, for one, and also whether I can indeed even do the test on it at all.
Has been maxi tours wrote: Mon Nov 26, 2018 5:58 am Its not on dvla list for taking A2
Driving tests for three-wheeled vehicles will only be available for physically disabled drivers. Able-bodied provisional licence holders who wish to ride motor tricycles will have to pass CBT and practical tests on a two wheeled motorcycle AM, A1 or A without a sidecar.

........... Taken from .............

https://www.askthe.police.uk/content/Q504.htm

Thanks Bern. Thats cleared that up for me nicely! Either I need to somehow rent a vehicle to do the test on, or learn to use gears and use one of the test centres bikes then. Or shelve it and by a Bergman like the original plan. Oh, decisions, decisions! :lol:

MrGrumpy
Benefactor
Current Ride: T-max mk6

Post by MrGrumpy »

Lets add more confusion! If an LT version is a trike and thus rideable on a car licence, is it also rideable on a bike (A2) licence?? I presume you can as you used to be able to ride Reliant Robins and the like on a bike licence!
James - obviously you need to pass a test before you ride anything more than an 125. I suspect the easiest - easiest in the longer term anyway - is to hire a geared bike from the test centre and get through the test. This will give you the greatest long term flexibility as you'll be able to ride both auto & manual bikes (I've no idea whether under current rules you should stick to passing on an A2 bike or doing the full test). Once you've passed your test you will be able to ride the scoot of your choice. btw do you have a car licence at the moment?